Deluxe Resorts - The First Taste Is Free Kid, But The Next Is Gonna Cost Ya

What (if anything) made you want to "move up to" any Deluxe resort?

• I always stay at Deluxe resorts

Votes: 56 37.6%
  • I never (choose to) stay at Deluxe resorts...someone else's dime, sure...

Votes: 18 12.1%
  • Went to resort for dining/shopping

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Recommended by friends

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Saw video/brochures

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Just riding by on bus/by boat/in monorail/in car

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • My own research

Votes: 28 18.8%
  • Something else/none of your beeswax

Votes: 13 8.7%

• Total voters

slappy magoo

Original Poster
Hey all,
based on a discussion in another thread, I wanted to poll you and ask - for those who made a switch from Values/Mods/camping/offsite to Deluxe resorts, what made you take the plunge? Was it a logical reason (location, amenities) or a gut level reason (just something about THAT resort)?

I'm sure for some people it's more of a logical decision - our kids are teeny, we're spending all our time at the Magic Kingdom anyway, might as well stay at a MK resort! Or we're here for F&W, we should try Boardwalk or BC or YC!

I happen to think a decent chunk of people visit deluxe resorts during vacations where they're staying elsewhere, but then visit a Deluxe, maybe for dinner, for shopping, for swimming before they put the kibosh on that sort of thing, for decorations during the holidays, just to be a looky-loo, etc., and it was something about that visit that makes people go "HERE. Next time we come to WDW, I want to stay HERE."

Even if you wound up staying wherever "HERE" was, decided it wasn't worth it, and then went back to mods or values or offsite, etc, what made you try the deluxe in the first place?

(And if it was the oft-referred reasons like location or amenities or room size, please click "My own research," I think that covers it).

Eager to see what your selections are.

ThanksPhoenicians

I did, but only because renting BoardWalk DVC points from my boss ended up being thousands cheaper than an equivalent stay at the Caribbean Beach. Even with the dining plan. The added location, convenience, and amenities are just added bonuses.

JillC LI

We started in values and moved up to mods. I was perfectly happy there but we decided to splurge on a deluxe for our next trip for my milestone birthday. We chose it because of location. It will probably be a once and done experience then back to mods.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We switch back and forth between all three categories.

Sometimes that decision is practical (no time in room) others it is just when we want to treat ourselves.

I am perfectly happy with getting a steak at Texas Roadhouse, but every now and then you just want to throw down for that Wagyu fillet at the Cowford Chophouse.

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I stayed Value when I was in highschool (ASMusic). I liked it but as soon as I started going as an adult, my husband and I wanted somewhere that it was easy to go back and forth to the hotels. We took a stab with Beach Club and both loved it. I love the theming, the amenities, and room sizes as we tend to spend some time at the hotel as a break in the day. I am so excited about August, it will be our first time at a Monorail resort! I'd consider a moderate, but probably only CSR - Don't ask me why, I just love the way it looks! lol

lostpro9het

I think you're missing a HUGE option: renting DVC points. What got us hooked, and ultimately got us to drink the koolaid three times, is renting points for AKL over Christmas week. We could ultimately stay at AKL, savanna view, for a week for the same price as PoP rack rate room. We had never visited AKL before that stay but never looked back.

Last edited:

slappy magoo

Original Poster
I think you're missing a HUGE option: renting DVC points. What got us hooked, and ultimately got us to drink the koolaid three times, is renting points for AKL over Christmas week. We could ultimately stay at AKL, savanna view, for a week for the same price as PoP rack rate rack rate room. We had never visited AKL before that stay but never looked back.
At the very least I should have included something like "a deal I couldn't refuse."

Chars0704

We stayed at WL the first time we went as a family & are going back. My husband and I loved it there. At least while our daughter is young I think we will stay. The proximity to MK and the ambiance is great.

MissViv

We started out in values skipped moderates and went straight to deluxe. We have booked moderates but always end up upgrading to the Deluxe. Have only stayed at Contemporary & Polynesian. LOVE THEM!! The atmosphere is FANTASTIC and love using the monorails.

We must have been lucky because we have never seen the monorail NOT working. "Knock on wood".

I would rather stay less nights and book a Deluxe than more nights with bus only transportation.

correcaminos

When I first went there wasn't much to pick from. First trip was camping. My mom was over camping so we never did that again. Next stay was in a villa at the Disney Villages and next one was Polynesian. Again those were your three options for onsite at the time. I'm a DVC owner so that means deluxe only for our stays now.

CLEtoWDW

To me it's all about location. We have only stayed at Deluxe resorts and it's mainly because of the location. We most recently stayed at the BC and I must say that having the ability to walk to 2 of the parks is a phenomenal perk. The fact that we can roll out of bed at 7 and get to EPCOT rope drop by 7:45 (8am EMH) is priceless.

Fankle

We visited AKL first to eat at Boma. Loved it so much we stayed there on a subsequent trip and we’ll be there in August. This trip we’re going to visit the Poly to dine at Ohara......

LeighM

I actually prefer moderates and never had an interest staying at a deluxe. It seems to be a waste of money since we spend most of our times in the parks but we still need the larger beds and double sinks that the moderates offer for our usual week long stay. Next year, I'm staying at a value for the first time because we'll only be at WDW for 2 days before our cruise and will be spending most of our time away from the resort. But after the cruise, I was able to rent a savanna room at AKL using a family member's DVC points for almost the same price as a value. That was a no brainer. We're just going to relax at the resort for that day and evening and take advantage of all of their amenities.

Weather_Lady

I think you're missing a HUGE option: renting DVC points. What got us hooked, and ultimately got us to drink the koolaid three times, is renting points for AKL over Christmas week. We could ultimately stay at AKL, savanna view, for a week for the same price as PoP rack rate room. We had never visited AKL before that stay but never looked back.

Ditto! When you can stay at a deluxe resort for the same price as a moderate (we've never been fortunate enough to snag DVC rental rates that were the level of a value), why not? We've been so pleased with our DVC rental experiences so far, and have really appreciated the perks (chiefly the proximity/transportation-related advantages -- honestly, we haven't found the rooms and food to be that much better than what we experienced at moderate resorts).

DisDadWoz

We stayed at poly on very first trip in 74. When we went with our kids we went again and then bought DVC. just worked out that way. That is now what we have come to know so while we visit the other resorts, we just don't stay there. Proximity has been the driver in our choice of DVC/deluxe resorts.

Skibum1970

At the very least I should have included something like "a deal I couldn't refuse."

That is a great part of it for me. I have to find a great deal or rent DVC points. However, we stayed at the Contemporary Resort due to a conference I attended that was located at the resort. While there, my wife toured the monorail resorts and the Wilderness Lodge. Thus, we had to stay at the Wilderness Lodge because of her self-guided tour.

zurgandfriend

For our First visit then DGF and I stayed at Dixie Landing and we decided that we wanted to stay at the Contemporary for our Disney Moon. On that visit the Wilderness Lodge had just opened, we checked it out and stayed there a few months later. My DW was expecting our little Disney souvenir and we wanted a get-away trip before parenthood. When DS was old enough we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge, which he loved, but he wanted to stay at the Contemporary. Subsequent trips we rotated between The Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge. DW are planning a getaway trip now that DS is out of the house and discussed staying at POFQ but she said, “Let’s stay at Wilderness Lodge instead I don’t think we would like it at POFQ.” Therefore, it would appear she is a deluxe snob.

Debbie

We stayed in Deluxe back in the day because that's all they had. We did Contemporary, Poly, DisneyInn, and the one bedroom suite at Disney Village. Tried Caribbean Beach as soon as it opened. Nowdays, I can't justify paying for deluxes unless I had kids or someone would split the cost. I'm perfectly content at Pop Century :)

CaptainAmerica

I don't see the option, so I voted for the last one.

I always want to stay at deluxe resorts, but it doesn't always fit in that trip's budget or the budget of people I'm traveling with. The default plan for my family would always be a standard view room at Animal Kingdom Lodge, but we divert from that depending on who else is coming with us, party size, etc. For example, we went with Art of Animation this last trip because my wife can't sleep well in the same room as the baby and she needs space to nurse in the middle of the night without disturbing our other daughter. The trip before that, we stayed in an Old Key West 2 bedroom villa because we had five adults in the group and it was the most efficient configuration.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom