Deluxe Hotel, what are you really getting?

HwdStudio

So we're going to be staying at Yacht Club in December but this really got me thinking (i.e some of the posts in the International Gateway thread), just what are you getting for the increased cost?

Location and prestige are about the only thing I can think of. Club Level doesn't really even give that much of a perk outside of the tinkering with extra fast passes. Usually at higher end hotels you're paying for service, but at a Disney hotel that's largely a wash IMO.

I can see the point of the monorail hotels to degree but if the international gateway gets changed for the gondola, just what does the Epcot Deluxes offer in the long run?

Note we have stayed at moderate for years like POR and the location IMO is top notch with only AK being a longer ride. Everything else? Really quick to MK.
I think you answered your own question very well.

HwdStudio

Not only that but guest spill over to wandering around the Yacht Club, Beaches and Cream, Boardwalk, etc.

Really if you think about it the Boardwalk area is just an extension of the World Showcase since neither one has rides. If you just called Boardwalk (Santa Monica land), Yacht Club (New England land), Beach Club (Florida land) it would fit right into World Showcase.
I’m pretty sure there are a couple of rides in World Showcase

HwdStudio

They seem to be not concerned at all in Flooding the gateway with Caribbean and pop patrons...that could be a nightmare for those used to it the way it has been. Same with increased traffic at boardwalk and the y&b area.
Really no different than guests at the MK going to the MK resorts on the monorail or walking.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Presitige? No one knows where you’re staying while you’re at the parks.
Unless, of course, you're wearing one of these...
dvc_disneys_grand_californian_hotel_spa_t_shirt-rd38dcef88b0e41d393a6bdd7e40bbc3c_k2gpz_512.jpg

21stamps

Unless, of course, you're wearing one of these...
dvc_disneys_grand_californian_hotel_spa_t_shirt-rd38dcef88b0e41d393a6bdd7e40bbc3c_k2gpz_512.jpg

True, but that looks like a nice tee.

I really do think people have a misconception about those who stay at nice or “expensive” hotels. I’ve never met anyone who does so for ‘bragging rights’, I’ve never done it.. I think people stay where they want based on features/location of a hotel, and what they’re doing at that time. At any destination.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
True, but that looks like a nice tee.

I really do think people have a misconception about those who stay at nice or “expensive” hotels. I’ve never met anyone who does so for ‘bragging rights’, I’ve never done it.. I think people stay where they want based on features/location of a hotel, and what they’re doing at that time. At any destination.
Well, somebody's buying those T-shirts...

Willmark

Original Poster
I’m not the one trying to prove a negative. It may happen it may not. But to dismiss the possibility because it hadn’t happen in your realm of experience doesn’t really work either. YMMV.

21stamps

I’m not the one trying to prove a negative. It may happen it may not. But to dismiss the possibility because it hadn’t happen in your realm of experience doesn’t really work either. YMMV.

Take this with a grain of salt, but I’ve been staying at “upscale” hotels/resorts for my entire life, I also have no qualms about staying somewhere like All Star Sports or a regular Hilton.. I have, and I’ve never really noticed what you’re talking about.
Yes, someone else may have a different experience, but I’d be curious to know specific examples.. several, not just one or two assumptions.

I’ll add, I think it’s more of a “thing” on these boards.. people saying “I only stay deluxe!” Or “I’m staying at a deluxe!” or “I’m a deluxe snob”.. I don’t think it’s a big deal on real life. Personally I couldn’t care less about the category of a resort, I just care about what suits me at that particular time.

eliza61nyc

You’re speaking to a guy would be happy in a tent at Ft Wilderness,

And that's the great thing about Disney, no matter what your preference they've got you covered.

Another example of different strokes for different folks.

Saturday I went to a retirement party for a friend. She travels alot and her office mates gave her a Tumi train case since she's going on an extended European vacation, it is gorgeous. price tag?? 2700.00 bucks. Now while that is too rich for this gal, I thought that was an excellent gift for a couple that spends weeks aboard trains and cruises. Do I need 5K in luggage? nope but again everybody sees value differently.

and no they are not "pretentious" she's a retiring H.S. teacher.

21stamps

You’re speaking to a guy would be happy in a tent at Ft Wilderness,
That’s the key word “happy”. People choose what will make them happy.. that’s all. Most people anyway.

As a side note, I really wanted to camp at FW 2 years ago in November. Couldn’t find a campsite available.. still a bucket list item!

21stamps

And that's the great thing about Disney, no matter what your preference they've got you covered.

Another example of different strokes for different folks.

Saturday I went to a retirement party for a friend. She travels alot and her office mates gave her a Tumi train case since she's going on an extended European vacation, it is gorgeous. price tag?? 2700.00 bucks. Now while that is too rich for this gal, I thought that was an excellent gift for a couple that spends weeks aboard trains and cruises. Do I need 5K in luggage? nope but again everybody sees value differently.

and no they are not "pretentious" she's a retiring H.S. teacher.

Everyone has their items/experiences that they like to spend money on, and also that they view as a “waste”.

Me, I won’t buy luggage unless it’s 50% off at a department store.. but I see how that was a great gift for your friend.

I will easily spend several thousand dollars for a vacation, and a few hundred dollars for just a day or few hour excursion or sporting event, but I won’t pay $15 for an Icee at our local amusement park.
I won’t pay $2 for a stupid Whopper Jr at Burger King, even though I’ll pay $6 for a coffee at Starbucks, daily.
I cringe when buying video games for my son, which is why he only has a few, but I’ll (begrudgingly) pay $100 for a jersey of his favorite sports teams, even though I won’t buy any of his other clothing unless on sale or have coupons.

Everyone has different views on value and when and what they will spend their money on.

Disneyfan_76

Also, I'm really not understanding the meltdown over the Gondola's. when they skyliner opens up, the Beach club and the Yacht club will still have the same location. they are not moving, guest staying there will still walk to 2 parks. you will still enter Epcot through international gateway.

why does everyone think all of a sudden that's going to change?

The one thing that will change is the lines at the international gateway. I am going to miss being able to basically walk right thru security and ticket with no line. It does lessen the perk a bit, but I loved being able to walk to two parks without having to deal with the buses.

tampabrad

If you are going to be at the parks from open to close and will be at the resort to only sleep. IMO, deluxe are a waste of money.

Everyone speaks of Disney service. I interact with the CMs to check in and while eating. I expect any hotel/resort/restaurants to provide good service so I don't see any premium there.

Location and pool. Yacht and beach club top that list for me.

Places to eat. You can't go wrong with epcot resort area or MK resort area. You have so many great dining options between the 5 epcot resorts and world showcase.

The mattresses and sheets are supposed to be better quality, but that's questionable.

24 hour room service I think is still available.

What you won't find, and you should. Poolside food and beverage service.

Any high end city or beach resort will blow away the service at a deluxe disney resort. But your premium price is for location, transportation, theming, multiple dining and lounge options.

eliza61nyc

The reason why we doubt it is because in general that is a common misconception with almost all luxury purchases.
Someone buys a mcmansion. Lol they are doing it to impress others.
Someone buys a louie Vuitton bag, we claim they are doing it to impress.
Same with luxury cars.

I think in reality people are really simple. They see something and they like it, for whatever reason and they purchase.
Now i do think some folks will make choices on "reputation ". The 4 season come with a certain prestige, Mercedes-Benz comes with a certain expectation. The GF does have a reputation. Its Disney's flagship. But i can't imagine that any but a EXTREMELY small amount of folks pick it for some sort of bragging rights

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom