Delta

wdwforus

Along with my problem getting onto Disneys website I have had what I consider to be extreme problems with our flight reservation. Delta has changed every leg of our flight from Portland, Maine to Orlando. We did alot of research on flights and got our roundtrip tickets for $214 a piece back in Februaury when the flights first came available. We originally started going from Portland to Cinncinnati to Orlando. They screwed it up so much with time changes that eventually we were landing in Cincy 1/2 hour after our flight for Orlando had departed. Now we arent flying to Cincy at all but into NY instead with only a half hour window to catch or flight to Orlando. Our return flight was supposed to be from Orlando to Boston to Portland but that got cancelled all together( I guess, nobody can give me a straight answer as to what happened to any of these flights or why I got bumped off after having a 10 month reservation) so now we are flying to Altanta then to Portland. We were supposed to have a 6 hour layover in Boston on revision 2 of the return but I told them that was unacceptable as I am traveling with small children and need to get back to Maine sometime in the early afternoon. We really wanted to be able to fly into Boston on the return because if we could at least get into Boston with any weather (we are flying out on Dec 21 and flying home Jan 1) we could get a ride back to Maine. At one point they didnt have a seat on one leg available for my 2 year old. I have only flown twice before in my life and find this extremely frustrating and has added alot of anxiety to our trip. Now that I have gotten that off my chest, anybody else having problems? Any suggestions? I think before this is said and done I will write Delta to complain but right now I feel like I have to go their website every day to see how else they have screwed with it. The people I speak with are very apolegetic and I understand its not their fault but I told the last woman I spoke with that I had no faith in their system after she tried promising me that there wouldnt be any other changes.

AEfx

What a nightmare. Delta used to be quality...it's a sad state of affairs.

Portland is tough to fly out of anyway, which is why I just get someone to drive me down to Logan instead. Save a ton of money, and more direct flights.

I too would be very upset - I have to make firm plans with work and flights and I hate layovers or...egads...connecting flights.

Not much to offer by way of advice, but good luck to you!

AEfx

Upvote 0

wdwforus

Original Poster
If it was just me and my wife we would probably do Logan or Manchester but with 3 kids(11,9,2) and trying to get there early( our flight starts at 5:41 a.m.) I didnt want the hassle. Also coming home, I didnt want a long drive. We are only 35 minutes from Portland. How far are you from Portland? We live in Richmond.

Upvote 0

gjpjtj

We have had our reservations on Song for a couple of months now, and our trip is in November. So far the only inconvenience we have had is the flight times have changed 3 times already.

Upvote 0

PigletIsMyCat

I booked my Song flight for NEXT WEDNESDAY :sohappy: on July 1st, they changed the times for my flight home twice (only by minutes but grrr scared the ________ out of me when I saw the subject of those emails) and I changed my flight to MCO with no problems.

Of course, now I'm checking my itinerary on FlySong.com like seven times a day.... but I haven't had a problem.

AEfx said:
What a nightmare. Delta used to be quality...it's a sad state of affairs.

I'm not sure I follow you there though. Alot of the airlines have had a rough time even before September 11th. Filing Chapter 11 is not the end of the world, or the end of a company. I haven't heard or seen anything to cause me to think that the quality we're used to from Delta is being/will be affected.

Upvote 0

AEfx

PigletIsMyCat said:
I'm not sure I follow you there though. Alot of the airlines have had a rough time even before September 11th. Filing Chapter 11 is not the end of the world, or the end of a company. I haven't heard or seen anything to cause me to think that the quality we're used to from Delta is being/will be affected.

Obviously the quality of the service is affected when flights are cancelled and moved and switched without the buyer being able to do anything about it.

If I bought a ticket for a direct flight and then was told I had to take several layovers and/or connections that I hadn't planned on, yeah, that's a huge drop in quality of service in my eyes.

Thank goodness I take Jet Blue. Now I just have to worry about the landing gear working correctly. ;)

AEfx

Upvote 0

frankd1962

wdwforus said:
Along with my problem getting onto Disneys website I have had what I consider to be extreme problems with our flight reservation. Delta has changed every leg of our flight from Portland, Maine to Orlando. We did alot of research on flights and got our roundtrip tickets for $214 a piece back in Februaury when the flights first came available. We originally started going from Portland to Cinncinnati to Orlando. They screwed it up so much with time changes that eventually we were landing in Cincy 1/2 hour after our flight for Orlando had departed. Now we arent flying to Cincy at all but into NY instead with only a half hour window to catch or flight to Orlando. Our return flight was supposed to be from Orlando to Boston to Portland but that got cancelled all together( I guess, nobody can give me a straight answer as to what happened to any of these flights or why I got bumped off after having a 10 month reservation) so now we are flying to Altanta then to Portland. We were supposed to have a 6 hour layover in Boston on revision 2 of the return but I told them that was unacceptable as I am traveling with small children and need to get back to Maine sometime in the early afternoon. We really wanted to be able to fly into Boston on the return because if we could at least get into Boston with any weather (we are flying out on Dec 21 and flying home Jan 1) we could get a ride back to Maine. At one point they didnt have a seat on one leg available for my 2 year old. I have only flown twice before in my life and find this extremely frustrating and has added alot of anxiety to our trip. Now that I have gotten that off my chest, anybody else having problems? Any suggestions? I think before this is said and done I will write Delta to complain but right now I feel like I have to go their website every day to see how else they have screwed with it. The people I speak with are very apolegetic and I understand its not their fault but I told the last woman I spoke with that I had no faith in their system after she tried promising me that there wouldnt be any other changes.

Ok, if it was me I would fly out of Logan. To make it an adventure for the kids also, go to Portland and take the Downeaster on Amtrak to North Station in Boston. Now exit North Station and take the Orange Line to State Street Station (It will cost $1.25 for each token. I buy tokens for my trip in and back when I fly out of Logan). Cross over to the Blue Line and take that out to Airport Station. Keep an eye out for the bus that will take you the terminal you need to fly out of.

When I fly out (I live in Fitchburg, Ma), I take the train into Boston and follow the direction I just gave you. It beats driving in and I find it more relaxing to go through this. Allow for the travel time before flight time.

http://www.mbta.com/ You can look up the maps for the subway system in Boston.
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Route/Vertical_Route_Page&c=am2Route&cid=1081256321869&ssid=134
The direct link to Amtrak's DOwneaster.

Hope it helps.

Upvote 0

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Delta has been doing this quite a bit lately. On 3 separate occasions in the last 60 days, my brother-in-law has been left stranded when Delta cancelled flights because they hadn't sold enough seats. And then his re-routing options have been less than desirable... one of them involved him landing in Orlando, and renting a car to drive home to Miami in (on Deltas tab). Needless to say, his airline loyalties have shifted since.

and in reply to this comment:
Gepettotrevor said:
You should fly Independance Air . Very nice airline, used to work with united I think......The fares are pretty low!

they are nice... but they'll be in a worse situation than Delta in a few months. That airline is making no money whatsoever.

Upvote 0

PigletIsMyCat

AEfx said:
Obviously the quality of the service is affected when flights are cancelled and moved and switched without the buyer being able to do anything about it.

If I bought a ticket for a direct flight and then was told I had to take several layovers and/or connections that I hadn't planned on, yeah, that's a huge drop in quality of service in my eyes.

Thank goodness I take Jet Blue. Now I just have to worry about the landing gear working correctly. ;)

AEfx

Then not only have you had problems with Delta since long before they filed Chapter 11, but you have problems with every airline available. Even Jet Blue. My girlfriend has horror stories flying them from New York to Tampa. That is the airline industry: they are out to make money. If there is a 1pm flight and a 4:30pm flight and both flights are less than half full, it makes TONS of sense to cancel the 1pm flight and push those customers to the 4:30pm flight. It's called business.

Upvote 0

wdwforus

Original Poster
frankd1962 said:
Ok, if it was me I would fly out of Logan. To make it an adventure for the kids also, go to Portland and take the Downeaster on Amtrak to North Station in Boston. Now exit North Station and take the Orange Line to State Street Station (It will cost $1.25 for each token. I buy tokens for my trip in and back when I fly out of Logan). Cross over to the Blue Line and take that out to Airport Station. Keep an eye out for the bus that will take you the terminal you need to fly out of.

When I fly out (I live in Fitchburg, Ma), I take the train into Boston and follow the direction I just gave you. It beats driving in and I find it more relaxing to go through this. Allow for the travel time before flight time.

Hope it helps.

No offense but maybe you didnt read my post that my children are 11, 9 and 2 years old. To try and drag 12 days of luggage through Amtrak, 3 T stops, a bus ride and then through security is insane. We did a huuuuuge amount of research on what would be easiest and cheapest and were able to get round trip with one stop from Portland for $214 a ticket. We dont want to be most of the day traveling and we will be in WDW by noon. There is no way in ____ that I would start my vacation that I have been saving for for 2 years with the kind of chaos that would happen with all the different connections we would have to make as you suggest. For a 35 minute car ride and a little anxiety about the flights and weather I'll take my way. There wouldnt be enough alcohol on the plane to sedate me after going through your maze.

Upvote 0

MINECAR

Account Suspended
I only fly jet blue now, last time when my family and I went delta they scatered us all over the plane it was the worst flight I'd ever been on

Upvote 0
We are booked on Delta as well in December. I did a lot of research online for travel times and connections before booking through a travel agency. I wanted to be able to get insurance on all parts of my trip, otherwise I would have done it myself. My concern now is that Delta hasn't charged my Visa yet. I was charged for my insurance and Disney deposit on August 23 but not for the flight, although all transactions took place at the same time. I called the travel agent who assured me that things were ok, she had a transaction number from Delta and we have seat assignments, but I'm still nervous that things aren't right.

Arrgghh,

Tink

ps We're travelling through Logan in Boston too!

Upvote 0

Iakona

That would be an insane way to start your vacation! Keep checking with Delta, maybe they will change again. If not, just decide to have fun.

wdwforus said:
No offense but maybe you didnt read my post that my children are 11, 9 and 2 years old. To try and drag 12 days of luggage through Amtrak, 3 T stops, a bus ride and then through security is insane. We did a huuuuuge amount of research on what would be easiest and cheapest and were able to get round trip with one stop from Portland for $214 a ticket. We dont want to be most of the day traveling and we will be in WDW by noon. There is no way in ____ that I would start my vacation that I have been saving for for 2 years with the kind of chaos that would happen with all the different connections we would have to make as you suggest. For a 35 minute car ride and a little anxiety about the flights and weather I'll take my way. There wouldnt be enough alcohol on the plane to sedate me after going through your maze.

Upvote 0

bigorangeandy

It has been reported here in the Atlanta area that Delta will be cutting about 25% of its seats to Florida ( I'm not sure the amount to Orlando, maybe Delta's no either at this point ) before it comes out of chapter 11. This should make getting a good price on a flight a little harder in the future. Some of the discount airlines may increase flights to Florida as a result.
I hope that you are able to get things resolved and have a great time on your trip.

Upvote 0

patelaine1953

I hope my flights are okay. I'm flying Song out of Boston on Dec. 4th @ 8:30 am with an 11:30 arrival in Orlando. My return flight is @ 6:55 pm on Dec. 8th with an arrival in Boston of 9:40 pm. I haven't heard anything to the contrary but I also haven't checked it out as yet. I booked back in March. Hope all goes well.

Upvote 0

Expo_Seeker40

I'll make sure to check on and off with this thread. I too for w/e reason am flying delta!

My family and I flew delta for what was my first time with delta in 1996 for WDW's 25th Anniversary as that was the last year they were WDW's official airline I believe.

I'm going to WDW in mid January woo hoo little crowds!!!

However I booked with delta in july, and I have yet to find and price that can beat what I got for my tickets...$256 ALB-PBI.

I will check to make sure my sched hasn't changed, but recently I looked back on their website and nothing of my schedule even shows. Is it sold out now, I dunno? :brick:

Upvote 0

bgraham34

wdwishes2005 said:
wait till your landing gear get messed up.....

anywho, i have been flying delta for 13 years never had a bad experiance.

Your lucky, I have had a few. But I still fly them because you are going to have problems no matter who you fly. Do you live in Georgia. That is where I always run into problems. From Newark to Atlanta. Always an issue with something with that airport.

Upvote 0

PigletIsMyCat

Alot of the 'problems' people seem to be talking about are NOT because of Delta filing Chapter 11. They are problems that routinely occur in the airline industry.

It just seems like Delta is getting **** on for no good reason. Not that I work for Delta or anything lol, but these are widespread problems that people have and will experience on Delta, JetBlue, American, United, etc. These are not Delta problems, they are airline problems.
If you bought your tickets online and supplied an email addy, Delta Song will contact you with flight changes (they contacted me). You can also register online with Delta (and I'm sure most other carriers) to check on flight status, etc.

Upvote 0

Iakona

PigletIsMyCat said:
Alot of the 'problems' people seem to be talking about are NOT because of Delta filing Chapter 11. They are problems that routinely occur in the airline industry.

It just seems like Delta is getting **** on for no good reason. Not that I work for Delta or anything lol, but these are widespread problems that people have and will experience on Delta, JetBlue, American, United, etc. These are not Delta problems, they are airline problems.
If you bought your tickets online and supplied an email addy, Delta Song will contact you with flight changes (they contacted me). You can also register online with Delta (and I'm sure most other carriers) to check on flight status, etc.

Don't depend on them e-mailing you. They did not e-mail me when my flight changed and they had no reason as to why I was not notified. They had my e-mail (my original itineraries were e-mailed to me). Keep checking you flights on their site so you do not get any unpleasant suprises.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom