deleted

TP2000

I wouldn’t go that far.. but I hate the term “living wage”.

He said- “wages of a decent living” What does that mean???? No one can ever define it, because it’s impossible to define.

Yeah, me too. The whole "Living Wage" thing is vague and nondescript and a constantly-moving target, rivaled only by when people say others (it's always others) should pay a "Fair Share" of taxes. But no one can ever say what the "Fair Share" is, even in just a percentage of earned wages let alone an actual dollar amount.

Living Wage is only slightly less nebulous than Fair Share of taxes, as there's an opinion that someone earning minimum wage should be able to afford a 1-Bedroom apartment on their own plus the usual middle-class food/utilities/clothing/gas/entertainment budget. And there's some that feel if you are a husband earning minimum wage, you should be able to support a wife and two children in a 2-bedroom apartment.

I'm very happy the ride operators and burger flippers will be starting at $15 an hour soon. :D I believe that's pretty close to what the entry-level CM's deserve in 2018 dollars for putting up with all the clueless decisions and occasional derision from TDA suits, plus be polite to all the loony-toon AP's and neckbeard bloggers and crazy ladies with "service dogs" that are really just lightly-trained Schnauzers.

But a "Living Wage"? Something tells me $15 an hour will no longer be considered a Living Wage any more.

Last edited:

21stamps

Yeah, me too. The whole "Living Wage" thing is vague and nondescript and a constantly-moving target, rivaled only by when people say others (it's always others) should pay a "Fair Share" of taxes. But no one can ever say what the "Fair Share" is, even in just a percentage of earned wages let alone an actual dollar amount.

Living Wage is only slightly less nebulous than Fair Share of taxes, as there's an opinion that someone earning minimum wage should be able to afford a 1-Bedroom apartment on their own plus the usual middle-class food/utilities/clothing/gas/entertainment budget. And there's some that feel if you are a husband earning minimum wage, you should be able to support a wife and two children in a 2-bedroom apartment.

I'm very happy the ride operators and burger flippers will be starting at $15 an hour soon. :D I believe that's pretty close to what the entry-level CM's deserve in 2018 dollars for putting up with all the clueless decisions and derision from TDA suits, plus be polite to all the loony-toon AP's and neckbeard bloggers and crazy ladies with "service dogs" that are really just lightly-trained Schnauzers.

But a "Living Wage"? Something tells me $15 an hour will no longer be considered a Living Wage any more.

Couldn’t agree more.

SuddenStorm

They shouldn't have to cut a thing to cover this. Would be a sad reflection on the company if there were reduced services in the parks because of this.

You're right. They won't reduce services, but will likely adjust the pricing structure over the next year to avoid the increases from effecting their cash flow.

tikiphil

30,000 disneyland resort employees - assume 1/4 are working at any one time - 7,500 workers
increase of $4 an hour from $11 to $15
7,500 * $4 = $30,00 an hour increase to disneyland resort operating cost
To keep Disneyland Resort operating requires workers a 24hrs a day 365 days a year
$30,000 * 24 * 365 = $262,800,000 a year increase in operating cost
That money needs to come from somewhere!

Last edited:

Phroobar

30,000 disneyland resort employees - assume 1/4 are working at any one time - 7,500 workers
Which could be covered in a penny increase to popcorn. They will of course will raise the price by $2 just in case.

TP2000

You also need to consider Disneyland will now be paying more in payroll taxes for every CM making $4 more per hour. Disneyland will need to pay more in Social Security tax, higher rates of Medicare tax, higher rates of state unemployment insurance, and if the CM is enrolled in a 401K the company will need to pay a higher rate on their matching contribution.

In a big company like Disney where they have thousands of white collar people in Burbank and Glendale making low to mid six figures and driving Teslas, the extra taxes on a ride operator in Anaheim are small potatoes. But it does add up, and with these higher wages Disneyland is now paying a lot more money in payroll taxes to state and federal government.

tikiphil

Another way to look at it - if my math estimate is close to being correct - $262,800,000 a year increase in operating cost

In 4 years time this wage increase will cost the company more than a billion dollars which is the estimated cost of star wars land.

A New star wars equivelant expansion every four years or a wage encrease - which would you prefer?

shortstop

Another way to look at it - if my math estimate is close to being correct - $262,800,000 a year increase in operating cost

In 4 years time this wage increase will cost the company more than a billion dollars which is the estimated cost of star wars land.

A New star wars equivelant expansion every four years or a wage encrease - which would you prefer?
It’s clear to me that the CM’s will pool together all of the extra money they are making and in a few years pay for the cost of the third park on the Toy Story Lot.

EricsBiscuit

To quote Franklin D. Roosevelt:

"No business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to it's workers has any right to continue in this country. By living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level - I mean the wages of a decent living."
This is such a dumb quote. He has no idea how a business operates. You can't hire anybody who will be producing less than the minimum wage. Absolutely ridiculous. Not all jobs are supposed to be for a decent living. You can't start out at the top. There's a reason it's called the "Great" Depression and that reason is FDR and his terrible policies.

Travel Junkie

This is such a dumb quote. He has no idea how a business operates. You can't hire anybody who will be producing less than the minimum wage. Absolutely ridiculous. Not all jobs are supposed to be for a decent living. You can't start out at the top. There's a reason it's called the "Great" Depression and that reason is FDR and his terrible policies.

Don't wish to get into a political debate, but Herbert Hoover was president when the Great Depressions started. FDR was elected by a landslide because Hoover couldn't get the country out of the depression.

KeithVH

So. Benefit of the doubt to say that any given CM works 40/wk. Annualize that, take out all withholdings, divide by 12. Somewhere around 1,700-1,800/month take home. And that's probably generous.

Average 1BR in Anaheim is ~1,600. Leaving, in the most optimal case, maybe 250/month FOR EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO LIVE ON FOR A MONTH.

Seems more like unicorns using bilabial fricatives to expel those rainbows.

And think of this - who is going to want to work for ANYONE else in the area paying less than TDA going forward? Serious societal adjustments in the future, methinks.

TROR

But you cannot ignore everything good FDR accomplished.
I very well can and I very well will. Not only is there a minimal amount of good accomplished by the man, to say I can't ignore whatever good he did despite placing Americans in prison camps based on their race is as ridiculous as saying I can't ignore the good Hitler did despite murdering human beings for their race, sexual orientation, or disabilities. Now, I understand ending lives and ruining lives are not the same thing, but FDR is definitely the worst president in American history and I find it embarrassing that people complain about Trump or Obama or Bush as if they're anywhere close to the evil that FDR was.

KeithVH

1532742964512.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom