Debunking "evil Disney" accusations

Magenta Panther

I'm aware of that but out of all the animals to choose from, monkeys were the best choice, unfortunately. Blacks were referred to as apes and monkeys for a very, very long time. That's the connection I'm making.

I wasn't referring to a camel ride. Have you listened to "Arabian Night" from Aladdin? Listen to it, then come back to me.

I don't think the crows in Dumbo are racist, though I find it odd the main crow's name is Jim Crow. The crows are portrayed the same way the monkeys are in The Jungle Book. The jazz, musical image. It's not wrong in my opinion, but it's still stereotypical. Listen to the way the crows talk, the way they're dressed. Like I said, I don't have a problem with it.

Well, then I guess the pertinent question might be: "Is it offensive?" I think the Sunflower centaur was incredibly offensive; I gasped when I saw her in an uncut version of "Fantasia". Talk about killing the mood! It was very tasteless. Thank God she's gone! But King Louie and his band and the crows in Dumbo...quite the opposite, in my view. The monkeys are mischievous antagonists, and the crows are compassionate helpers. I still question your view that the monkeys were supposed to represent blacks, though. I didn't see them that way at all when I first watched "The Jungle Book". It's all a matter of opinion, I suppose...

Californian Elitist

Well, then I guess the pertinent question might be: "Is it offensive?" I think the Sunflower centaur was incredibly offensive; I gasped when I saw her in an uncut version of "Fantasia". Talk about killing the mood! It was very tasteless. Thank God she's gone! But King Louie and his band and the crows in Dumbo...quite the opposite, in my view. The monkeys are mischievous antagonists, and the crows are compassionate helpers. I still question your view that the monkeys were supposed to represent blacks, though. I didn't see them that way at all when I first watched "The Jungle Book". It's all a matter of opinion, I suppose...

TELL ME ABOUT IT. I too gasped, I couldn't believe it. I even re-watched it to make sure I wasn't imagining things.

Like I said, I don't mind the monkeys or the crows from The Jungle Book and Dumbo. The scene where they kidnap Mowgli happens to be my favorite scene because of the things they say and the way the scene is executed. I love the crows in Dumbo, too, as they truly saved him.

Even as a kid I thought the voices sounded black. Maybe it's because I'm back myself. Everyone in my family thinks they have very black-like, soulful voices too. But like you said, it's an opinionated matter.

Just in case anyone hasn't seen The Jungle Book in a while...

TestTrack Dummy

Walt was a product of his time. Is un fair to pass judgement (im not accusing anyone here) without considering the way things were back then. With that said i still dont beleive Walt was racist by todays standards. The Sherman Brothers wrote an insane amount of songs for him and they were Jewish. Song of The South is definetly a bit racist if you look at it from todays point of view. But if you look back to a time when blacks and whites were segragated yet a white animator and film maker wants make a film with black man, i find that progressive. I can see why people consider it racist but i dont beleive that was his intention. Sterotypes are bound to happen dispite the studio. While most dont agree with them they are mostly true. Im hispanic and while i agree not all hispanics are the same i also realize they do have many things in common.

Bob Saget

Disney as an anti-Semite/Nazi.

NO. The only dealings he had with the Reich was in trying to get a distribution deal for Snow White. After Hitler invaded Poland and kickstarted the Europe war, all bets were off.

What I hate the most about this allegation is that it is taken seriously by Disney critics....even though if they would do their own research into it, they would see that "Disney is a Nazi" was made up by white supremacists
Disney was certainly not a Nazi. Proof of this can be found clearly in a banned Disney cartoon which slammed the Nazi's and their principles. Many people see this cartoon and freak out: "Oh my gosh, they said Hitler! Oh my gosh, there's a swastika!" Really, people?? Did you even *listen* to the message of this cartoon? The whole thing is showing how brainwashed & corrupted the Nazi's were. Decide for yourself:

Californian Elitist

I myself don't find Song of the South racist. I'd probably have to watch it again. What people, such as members of the NAACP, African American historians, etc. take offense with is the actual portrayal of blacks in the film. They're cheerful, happy, smiling African Americans in the South. 1800's South, at that. I can see why people would be upset but I'm okay with it.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
I see some discussion here and its good. That being said I think we are more a product of the world we live in today. Everyone is trying to look for something in this day and age and I believe we get caught up in it. To be honest the group of people who are perceived in the worst kind of light themselves in Disney movies are the English. Or stepmothers if you wish. The Brits have the Queen in Snow White, the mean elephants in Dumbo, Hook and it seems a whole whack of other characters in Disney's history with a lack of compassion are English. If there is any theme that's the one that is the most poignant. Should the Brits be offended? I don't think so because they've also got Mary Poppins on the "good" side. But you see how easy that was. Without even trying I just got you thinking about that despite how baseless it probably is.

You can do it with so many other things too. How about Small World? Lots of stereotypes there right. Well, there HAS to be since you are representing all the continents. Country Bear Jamboree? Probably the most stereotypical thing in all of Disney yet it is beloved by so many including myself. I never walk out of there thinking the bears are a bunch of white hillbillies. In fact, until now I never even thought that most - if not all - of them are perceived as white. My mind nevers wanders like that and personally I think I am better for it. There might be a thing or two in Disney's history considered to be insensitive to today's standards, but personally if you want to find something offensive whether it's on Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Small World or a variety of movies you're going to look for it and drum it up.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Disney was certainly not a Nazi. Proof of this can be found clearly in a banned Disney cartoon which slammed the Nazi's and their principles. Many people see this cartoon and freak out: "Oh my gosh, they said Hitler! Oh my gosh, there's a swastika!" Really, people?? Did you even *listen* to the message of this cartoon? The whole thing is showing how brainwashed & corrupted the Nazi's were. Decide for yourself:

It reminds me of a Youtube video when the villain of the Lion King seems to have his followers sort of high step to his commands. Well, isn't that the point, that Nazi Germany WAS bad?

TestTrack Dummy

That is the same way i feel about this! So many people talk about how Walt was a nazi because of this cartoon yet they dont sit down and watch it!

Avenger117

I myself don't find Song of the South racist. I'd probably have to watch it again. What people, such as members of the NAACP, African American historians, etc. take offense with is the actual portrayal of blacks in the film. They're cheerful, happy, smiling African Americans in the South. 1800's South, at that. I can see why people would be upset but I'm okay with it.

I'm Black as well. I enjoy Splash Mountain, but the film is a bit offensive. It may just be in the category "product of its time", but I can see why the company distance's itself from the film.

Though I find Princess and The Frog more annoying. I don't see why the black "princess" had to have multiple jobs and be the daughter of the help. I'm not calling Disney racist because of it though. The Disney channel has some good black teenage characters.

Californian Elitist

I'm Black as well. I enjoy Splash Mountain, but the film is a bit offensive. It may just be in the category "product of its time", but I can see why the company distance's itself from the film.

Though I find Princess and The Frog more annoying. I don't see why the black "princess" had to have multiple jobs and be the daughter of the help. I'm not calling Disney racist because of it though. The Disney channel has some good black teenage characters.

I'd definitely have to watch Song of the South again. I've only seen it once and that was a couple of years ago. I understand why the NAACP has a problem with it. The centaur scene from Fantasia is really bad. Have you seen it? That's another product of its time but it's so darn offensive. It made me cringe and so angry the first time I saw it.

Did you hear about the original concept of The Princess and the Frog? Apparently Tiana's name was originally going to be Maddy (what the heck?!) and she was going to be a maid working for a white family. Why this concept was ever brought up, let alone considered is beyond me. I would have REALLY had a problem with the movie if that concept had passed. And another thing, I know Naveen for the most part looks black but they couldn't make him fully African American? I never understood that.

The Empress Lilly

The Princess and the Frog, and the fact that the first, and I'm sure only, African American Disney princess spent most of her time in the film as a frog.
Yeah, that kinda bugged me too. What were they thinking? At last a Black princess, and she's a frog all of the time. Like...what?

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
I don't have a strong opinion on any of this but I know I'm going to waste a good amount of time today Googling.... "Naked Woman Rescuers"

powlessfamily4

I love Song of the South. The main reason I love this film so much is because of James Baskett. His performance was amazing and he did many of the animated voices including Brer Fox. He was also received an Honorary Academy Award for his portrayal of Uncle Remus and was called friend and storyteller to the children of the world. Many do not know this but he was the first African American male to receive an Oscar of any kind. Honorary Awards are given when "there is not a category" the role fits into. I honestly believe it was because he was African American. Having said that, I am happy that they did not completely leave him out and that he was instrumental in opening the door for others. (I personally think he should have taken Best Actor) He was highly talented and I have very fond memories of the role he portrayed. I was a child in the 70's and I remember watching this at the matinee when I was in kindergarten. I also had a Disney Song album that had a few of songs on it and was purchased for that reason. I hate that it is such a controversial movie, and yet I understand why. For me the movie was about a smiling James Baskett that told stories which captivated me and I soooo wished he would come visit me and tell me a story :)

wiigirl

I love Disney but I'll admit, as an African American, I was pretty put off by the original centaur scene in Fantasia. I know it was a sign of the times but I still didn't like it, at all.

The whole "crows from Dumbo are racist" is bull. Now there are some stereotypical content in some Disney movies. I'll admit that.

I am asian, but I agree about some of the sterotpically negative things, BUT I think it was more PC for the time than alot of america.
75.gif

sublimesting

1. Song of the South took place after the Civil War, not during. From my readings people are offended because they are actually portrayed as happy working for low wages in the same jobs they formerly held as slaves. My thoughts are, can't we just have a movie and a character be a happy story teller. If he didn't work on a plantation I don't think anyonbe would have an issue. In retrospect it should have just been Uncle Remus hosting a carttoon anthology and done away with the live action.

2. If animators slip stuff into films it is their own doing and if management doesn't catch it that'n not Walt's fault. Plus I think all this happened after Wlat had died.

3. So we have some jazzy swingin' monkeys. Whoopdy Doo!!!! We also have some Beatles vultures. Can't the English not be portrayed as vultures picking the flesh of off rotting carcasses?!

4. I believe one of Walt's best friends was Jewish. Also his daughter Diane dated a Jewish guy for awhile and Wlat was quoted as saying "I hope his family accepts us."

5. The Centaurs were pretty over the line but a product of the times.

MagicMike

People also forget Disney isn't the only company that produced animated films and shorts. If they were to take a look at the Looney Tunes, Merrie Melodies, and Tom & Jerry cartoons of the same time frame they will see stereotypes reflected in all.

I'm not saying that this makes it acceptable in any way, but somehow these tend to get overlooked when people focus on criticizing Walt and the Disney Company.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom