Death to Tarzan Rocks

KevinPage

Original Poster
Originally posted by donaldduck1967
Kevin, I agree with you 100%.

The music and singing were not very good.

The set looks like it was just thrown there to get something up.

Did anybody ever see the Jungle Book Story show that was there prior to Tarzan? I'd like to know how that compared to Tarzan

Things like Tarzan & Hercules to me are not very "Disney". They are too widely known by the general public and don't feel like their own. But I do like Disney's Hercules though, even if it still doesn't feel entirely "Disney".

Yeah, yeah I know, neither was Pinnochio or Peter Pan or whatever. But those movies and characters have become to be known AS Disney icons. Tarzan or Hercules never will, they were too popular before Disney put their spin on them.

wdwfan22

Once was enough for me. The singing was horrible. There really isn't any story line to the show expect to sing the music from the movie by third rate singers. I really hope the space is used for another show in the near future.

johnvree

I thought the show was pretty good. My kids seemed to enjoy it too. I think it would be better if the people singing were actually characters instead of a band kind of narrating the story. Also, Tarzan comes out kind of late in the show for me.

However, I usually see it because, lets face it, there's not a whole lot else to see at AK in terms of shows/attractions.

FigmentJedi

I ended up taping Tarzan Rocks last year, and because of it, I didn't have enough space on the tape for the complete Festival Of The Lion King. Tarzan Rocks just isn't as interesting as Festival, because Tarzan lakcs, well, Tarzan. That and I just don't like the Rock and Roll concept of the show.

agdbeanie

I like the show. It's not an "every visit" activity, but I do enjoy it every once in a while. I think it's popular enough to stay around for a while and I do know that the kids love it. I took a group of high schoolers (older than your typical audience, I know) a couple of years ago and they loved it. The little kids seem to really enjoy it and the auditorium is generally full. In December there was a HUGE wait for it. I saw it then, even though the main reason was that I wanted to wait in line to get a better view of the Everest area.

Can anyone confirm that they're replacing it or is this just someone else's wishful thinking???

agdbeanie

Um, yeah. We need some confirmation here before we start making speculations about what will replace it. How did this rumor actually start?

barnum42

If a person does not like the Phil Collins music (and there are a lot of people in this category) then they will not like this show.

People who don’t “do shows” will not like it.

People who don’t “do rock concerts” will not like it.

The people who want a Readers Digest condensed show such as the “Beauty and the Beast” or “Little Mermaid” shows at the Studios will not like it.

Personally, I can take or leave Phil Collins, I like shows, I like live music and I am generally disappointed by the edited highlights shows (Hunchback being the exception).

I like Tarzan Rocks – I like the energy and the fact that it has live musicians. I like the rollerbladers and the flying act. I like the set design – simple but effective. Kind of reminds me of Starlight Express with pot plants.

As far as gauging audience reaction – I was not just referring to polite applause, you get other feedback from an audience which lets you know how well a show is being perceived. General atmosphere, plus I don’t know if people politely whoop and holler.

To each their own. I enjoy it. It’s not the best show in the parks – Lion King has that crown, and it too does not follow the “condense a show” format. There are past shows I thought were better – Hunchback, Disney Mania and Every Day’s a Holiday. If they have a replacement planned, then I look forward to it – but hope it’s not another karaoke backing track job. The live music at Tarzan gives it an edge.

xfkirsten

I can't confirm or deny anything, but I can say this rumor's been around for awhile. I remember hearing it back when I was in WDW Entertainment last spring. The reason? Cost. All of the performers in the show (with the exception of Terk) are all Equity, and that makes the show much more expensive. Now, for a show that consistently packs in the crowds (Indy, and Aladdin here on the West Coast) it makes the show worth it for Disney. But if the show isn't as big of a draw, Disney probably won't see it as worth the cost. :( In addition, Tarzan Rocks has been running for nearly 5 years, and seeing as how it's not a wildly popular show like the other long-standing shows at the resort, they're probably just looking for a fresh show.

I'm personally saddened to see it go. I loved it. I liked the idea that it was supposed to be like a live concert tour, and would loved to have seen an official CD release of it, done in the "live in concert" style. I loved the arrangements of some of the songs, particularly "Son of Man" and "Strangers Like Me." And the rollerbladers were great! I used to watch this one on my lunch breaks whenever I worked at Boat Dock. ;)

-Kirsten

DDuckFan130

If a person does not like the Phil Collins music (and there are a lot of people in this category) then they will not like this show.

I personally love the soundtrack and Phil Collins. The Tarzan soundtrack is one of my favorite cd's in my collection.

People who don’t “do rock concerts” will not like it.

I like rock concerts, but not Tarzan Rocks. Like someone else said, the performers are talented, but they don't do the soundtrack justice.

The people who want a Readers Digest condensed show such as the “Beauty and the Beast” or “Little Mermaid” shows at the Studios will not like it.

I like Little Mermaid, and I like Beauty and the Beast. I don't think the reason is because they're so condensed. I just like them because they're cute.

I personally did not like Tarzan Rocks after I saw it. The roller blading was cool but I just did not enjoy it, but hey it's cool if other people love it. I dislike Festival of the Lion King as well, but other people love it. More power to you. Wait, do I even like any shows?:lol: Man, now I gotta think. Like I said, I like Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid. Does Fantasmic count? I love that too. I also like all the shows that have been in front of Cinderella's castle. Aw the memories of... what was it? Disney Mania where they dressed up in gold outfits and red ones and such and classics like Ducktales, Gummi Bears and TaleSpin would come out. Now those were shows :D

Atta83

Originally posted by xfkirsten

rollerbladers were great! I used to watch this one on my lunch breaks whenever I worked at Boat Dock. ;)

-Kirsten
You bad girl you...LOL at least you were close to the location while i was stuck over at creature comforts ....

xfkirsten

Originally posted by Atta83
You bad girl you...LOL at least you were close to the location while i was stuck over at creature comforts ....

:lol: I'm such a troublemaker. All four of us from my group went on Primeval Whirl a few times on our lunch break before, too. ;) When I was at CC, I used to get my camera after I ate and go take animal photographs. :)

-Kirsten

cherrynegra

I remember when I saw it last year somebody from England commenting, "They're really flamboyant.":lol: But I will throw my voice of support against this show. It just really pales in comparison to The Lion King show. And even on it's own, it just isn't that kind of show that leaves you wanting more or with any impact. It's a middling show. Not bad, but not great either.

Goodeone

Originally posted by DDuckFan130
Aw the memories of... what was it? Disney Mania where they dressed up in gold outfits and red ones and such and classics like Ducktales, Gummi Bears and TaleSpin would come out. Now those were shows :D

I remember that show, I used to love it as a kid! I remember seeing it something like 3-4 times one trip. I also liked the old Muppets show before Muppets 3D, the one where the monorail would crash through the side of the building. Ahhh, the memories. lol.

KevinPage

Original Poster
I don't know any inside info on the show going, I saw someone mention it in a post about Asia and Everest

Tigggrl

I personally love the Tarzan Rocks show...I think it should stay. Whenever I went to see it, there was a full house, and the music and entertainment is wonderful...
But then again, I am not a big fan of Timekeeper, or Tough to be a Bug.
The B&B show was SO MUCH better before they chopped the heck out of it..it used to be a must see, but not anymore. I have the original on video, and I enjoy it so much more!
Keep Tarzan!
Oh, And the rumor is a couple of years old, I had people telling me it was on its way out about 2 years ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom