DCA's Tower of Terror... future plans

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Tipping elevators or not (I doubt it... the V.V.C.s are PULLED down by cables as well as lifted by them... and if you tip down you will see the cable mechanism etc.) I think its was a major ommision to go cheaper and not have the 5th Dimension.

The big thrill for me on ToT was the fact your elevator moved OUT OF the shaft, forwards, across a floor... and you knew what was waiting behind the wall in front. Normal lifts never do that... this one is spooky... Ok, DCAs A.G.V.s move back and forward for loading / unloading, but its the effect of continuous forward motion in MGMs ToT that got me. Not going back where you had come from (you know the ride is ending in doing that).

As always, IMHO.

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by marni1971
Tipping elevators or not (I doubt it... the V.V.C.s are PULLED down by cables as well as lifted by them... and if you tip down you will see the cable mechanism etc.) I think its was a major ommision to go cheaper and not have the 5th Dimension.

The big thrill for me on ToT was the fact your elevator moved OUT OF the shaft, forwards, across a floor... and you knew what was waiting behind the wall in front. Normal lifts never do that... this one is spooky... Ok, DCAs A.G.V.s move back and forward for loading / unloading, but its the effect of continuous forward motion in MGMs ToT that got me. Not going back where you had come from (you know the ride is ending in doing that).

As always, IMHO.

Apparently with the special effects during the horizontal motion at DCA, it is still an amazing scene. I have heard nothing but fantastic reviews of this attraction. We should start getting a lot of reviews by next weekend.

FireFly725

As always, IMHO.

I felt the same way when I first heard about it, but after hearing about what's replacing it, I'm over it. Yes, the foward movement was cool at first, but other than that, the room wasn't that great, IMO.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Whatever is there, I can`t wait to see (on net video - probably will never get to DLC in person :( )

Now, about that one in Paris...

The_CEO

Originally posted by JackSkellington
You mr. CEO. I am not trying to be rude or snippy. Just curious about what the problem is with the safety restraints.

You feel DCA's ToT could have Horse Collar Restraints and fit into theming still?

I dont

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by The_CEO
You feel DCA's ToT could have Horse Collar Restraints and fit into theming still?

I dont

well I think we've already agreed that the tipping will never happen, so that won't be a problem ;) The opening of the ride now involves a thunderstorm, starfield effects, and a new line from Rod. Also, not all three drop shafts are the same--one has the mirror effect on the 3rd floor and the ghost hallway on the 6th floor, after which you drop...sounds kewl to me!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Unbeknown to the guest, WDWs ToT has the ghost corridor on different levels.. Alpha and Delta shafts have it on level 4, Bravo and Charlie on level 3 - they couldn`t fit all four corridors side by side (due to the peppers ghost effect used) - but in Florida you would never know. Wonder if thats the technical reason for DCA too, but they figured to use it to their advantage?

Lhriangel

What I don't understand is everyone's obsession on whether or not DCA's version is going to be better/worse then WDW's version.

Maybe they are doing the same type of thing they did with the haunted mansions and indiana jones attractions.....

Making each one different enough to bring people over to ride it that liked the other versions.

Think about it... wouldn't it be horrible if both of them were EXACTLY the same?

RU42

Angelique - I agree 100%. No more copy cat rides! Take ideas and duplicate them, I am cool with that, but not cookie-cutter.

Isn't cookie-cutter approach what caused so much bad press about DCA in the first place?

I hope ToT is different for the sake of being different and fresh - not some cost cutting exercise. I think the later is what people are afraid of happening to ToT West.

But, speculation will be over in just a few short (ok long) weeks.

RU

FireFly725

Whatever is there, I can`t wait to see (on net video - probably will never get to DLC in person :( )

Now, about that one in Paris...

I have heard that there won't be any type of photography allowed on the ride, because the new Looking Glass scene is very senstive to things that emit light. Like infrared, flash, etc.

I don't think think we will ever know the exact reasons why they chose to go this route. I'm sure it was less expensive than the original because most of the R&D was already done for the original one and because this new scene doesn't require as large of a building. But whether chose this route solely to save money, we'll never know.

As long as it's a good, immersive, satifying ride, worthy of the original, I don't care how much it cost.

JackSkellington

Originally posted by Angelique
What I don't understand is everyone's obsession on whether or not DCA's version is going to be better/worse then WDW's version.

Maybe they are doing the same type of thing they did with the haunted mansions and indiana jones attractions.....

Making each one different enough to bring people over to ride it that liked the other versions.

Think about it... wouldn't it be horrible if both of them were EXACTLY the same?

She does have a point, but if they are not the same one might not be as good as the other. Therefore it isn't going to be enjoyable ride to lesser of the two.

FireFly725

It all depends on the person. Some people will like one better, some will like the other. Unless it ends up being horrible(not likely based on recent reviews), I think there will be varied opinions.

JackSkellington

Originally posted by FireFly725
It all depends on the person. Some people will like one better, some will like the other. Unless it ends up being horrible(not likely based on recent reviews), I think there will be varied opinions.

True, but I am talking about a true visible difference between rides.

paulcmartens

Account Suspended
kind of fond of...

I'm actually kind of fond of the cookie cutter...seriously...wouldn't you WDW'ers wish your Pirates was a cookie cutter, instead of cheaping out?

When I first talked to an actual imagineer 2 years ago, he did say the company was cheaping out on the ride.

I can tell, you from riding WDW Pirates and Disneylands...its does matter.

So, I guess I'm not for cookie cutter, but at least maintaining the status quo.

I think its obvious that they spent less money on DCA's than TOT. I say that because of size of building/volume etc.

Adding a shaft was necessary BECAUSE they cheaped out on horizontal movement a la TOT. The ride will be o.k., but less money was spent on it/budgetted for it, according to the Imagineer I spoke with.

RU42

I get your point and I agree. I think there should be changes made to keep things fresh but not in order to save money or as your put it, cheapen it out.

RU

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom