DAS with anxiety disorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyCB

I did have a castmember at one of the rides say something to me about getting the G+ service for free. I respectfully put him in his place.
This is literally cruel.
They have no idea why the person in front of them is using the DAS service.
My husband has stage 4 cancer and is on chronic chemotherapy and can not tolerate heat/humidity standing etc. for long periods of time. He gets hypotensive and has confusion. Before I knew he was having a problem he got lost in HS as he was trying to exit the park he ended up in Galaxies Edge.
He would be mortified if he heard a cast member say something like that because I have to twist his arm to accept the use of DAS and a wheelchair as it is. He can't stay in the parks longer than a couple of hours without it. It's been a life/trip saver our last 2 trips by allowing him to participate.

Chi84

Premium Member
This is literally cruel.
They have no idea why the person in front of them is using the DAS service.
My husband has stage 4 cancer and is on chronic chemotherapy and can not tolerate heat/humidity standing etc. for long periods of time. He gets hypotensive and has confusion. Before I knew he was having a problem he got lost in HS as he was trying to exit the park he ended up in Galaxies Edge.
He would be mortified if he heard a cast member say something like that because I have to twist his arm to accept the use of DAS and a wheelchair as it is. He can't stay in the parks longer than a couple of hours without it. It's been a life/trip saver our last 2 trips by allowing him to participate.
CMs are not always nice. I needed to use a light transport chair for the longer distances in the parks on our last trip due to what I hope will be a temporary condition. I don’t have a handicap placard, but the chair was in our back seat.

On our first day I explained the situation to the parking lot gate CM and asked about paying the difference for the closer lot. She saw the wheelchair and said to check with the next CM, who directed us to the medical overflow lot.

From then on, when I got to the gate I would explain the situation to the CM and ask “what would be my best option?” Every CM but one said to check with the next CM for directions to the medical overflow lot.

The one at HS (I think) just smirked and acted as if he was being helpful as he told us our “best option” would be to follow the line he pointed to - which was the line that led to regular parking. We asked the next CM we encountered and he very kindly directed us in the opposite direction to medical overflow.

If the CM had simply said there were no options other than regular parking or paying for the closer lot, I would have been fine with it. But he clearly was trying to be a smart*** by treating me poorly because he thought I was trying to get away with something. On the trip before this one I was walking around 10 miles a day at WDW. I would much rather not have needed the chair.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
CMs are not always nice. I needed to use a light transport chair for the longer distances in the parks on our last trip due to what I hope will be a temporary condition. I don’t have a handicap placard, but the chair was in our back seat.

On our first day I explained the situation to the parking lot gate CM and asked about paying the difference for the closer lot. She saw the wheelchair and said to check with the next CM, who directed us to the medical overflow lot.

From then on, when I got to the gate I would explain the situation to the CM and ask “what would be my best option?” Every CM but one said to check with the next CM for directions to the medical overflow lot.

The one at HS (I think) just smirked and acted as if he was being helpful as he told us our “best option” would be to follow the line he pointed to - which was the line that led to regular parking. We asked the next CM we encountered and he very kindly directed us in the opposite direction to medical overflow.

If the CM had simply said there were no options other than regular parking or paying for the closer lot, I would have been fine with it. But he clearly was trying to be a smart*** by treating me poorly because he thought I was trying to get away with something. On the trip before this one I was walking around 10 miles a day at WDW. I would much rather not have needed the chair.

Which is why I've been repeatedly remarking that Disney needs to either train or retrain CMs on the ADA. From comments of those who have a disability, whether temporary or permanent, visible or not, some CMs are clueless and some are skating the line on violating the ADA.

Supertech65

I don't know if anyone here can help me with this particular question. I was doing the online Pre certification for das yesterday. The person I was talking to (after it was stated that I qualified) started asking me to "pre book" two rides per park ahead of time. Unfortunately we lost connection and I'm getting a call back later today to finish. I guess my question is why? This almost seems like a fastpass+ advantage, is it not? I thought it worked the same as it did prior to covid where you can go to the ride to get a return time then once you have waited the alotted amount of time, you can go back through the LL line. Hoping my issue is temporary and the das I need for my upcoming trip will not be needed for my trip in May 2023. I'm guessing this is why some think its gaming the system a bit since you have the ability to pre book two rides, G+ and individual lightning lanes.

bhg469

I don't know if anyone here can help me with this particular question. I was doing the online Pre certification for das yesterday. The person I was talking to (after it was stated that I qualified) started asking me to "pre book" two rides per park ahead of time. Unfortunately we lost connection and I'm getting a call back later today to finish. I guess my question is why? This almost seems like a fastpass+ advantage, is it not? I thought it worked the same as it did prior to covid where you can go to the ride to get a return time then once you have waited the alotted amount of time, you can go back through the LL line. Hoping my issue is temporary and the das I need for my upcoming trip will not be needed for my trip in May 2023. I'm guessing this is why some think its gaming the system a bit since you have the ability to pre book two rides, G+ and individual lightning lanes.
I always thought it was returning at the time it would take to get through standby. To my understanding there are only a few rides you can pre book.

Supertech65

I always thought it was returning at the time it would take to get through standby. To my understanding there are only a few rides you can pre book.
I actually have no idea what rides fall under the pre book category and most of the rides I'm even gonna be able to handle are probably not the most popular anyway. I just thought it was kinda odd since people complain that they can only do a few rides using genie plus.I just didn't understand if maybe with so many people qualifying for the disability pass if it's taken away the ability for the general public to book those genie plus rides because the spots are being filled with das guests that pre booked.

correcaminos

I really think some CMs need a crash course in how to be polite though I get sometimes guests test them. I have bad stories of that, but those here, I am so sorry you dealt with snark or CMs lacking in compassion.

I do not think the question about violating ADA is really an issue though in my experience. They are asking proper questions to weed out.

I actually have no idea what rides fall under the pre book category and most of the rides I'm even gonna be able to handle are probably not the most popular anyway. I just thought it was kinda odd since people complain that they can only do a few rides using genie plus.I just didn't understand if maybe with so many people qualifying for the disability pass if it's taken away the ability for the general public to book those genie plus rides because the spots are being filled with das guests that pre booked.
None of the top tier rides are pre-bookable. So if you want to pre-book those, you have to pay ILL like everyone else, get in a tour, or do a return time after tapping in. The pool for Genie+ was too big and not related to DAS, which is why they are limiting Genie+ purchases so don't let that concern you.

Not even going to touch the other subject here 😂

jloucks

I agree with your having a legit reason for accommodation 100%

I also agree the CM could have handled it way better.

The point I wanted to add, is that the snarky CM was very likely just burnt out on the abusers of the system. While the majority of the blame falls on him, I know I appreciate the fact that it is the ABUSERS that give the whole works a bad name. They are what make me sensitive to what I perceive as shenanigans. WDW has fixed almost all of the incentive to abuse, but you did just point out another big unresolved incentive (close parking). There are bajillions of people who have no problem lying or exaggerating an issue to get those spots. That poor CM has to sort all that out? That's a stink job right there.

And there are a lot of abusers. I really don't know why the focus is not more on them, instead of the people (legit folks and staff) forced to deal with them on a regular basis?

jloucks

How easy is it to abuse these systems, part 344.

This is a bit off topic, but this tread jumped the rails a little bit ago so here is something a bit more lighthearted.

When I turned 50 a few years back, we were going on a cruise. My family lives by the cruise port so we stayed with them the night before departure. They gave me a bunch of gag old man gifts. You know the ones, toilet games, laxatives, inappropriate shirts, and my favorite was a pretty nice walking cane with a horn on it. The next day we went to the cruise terminal and I knew we were in for a 2 hour line. No bigs, I have this new cane I could use to make it more fun and lean my weight on. Maybe honk the horn? Anywho, about 15 minutes into the 120 minute line a porter saw me with my cane and offered to cut me and my entire family of 8 to the front of the line! I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about it for a split second. I declined and told the representative I appreciated the offer. But, wow, it would have been just that easy! That easy to abuse. I was hesitant to share it here because at least one of you may be like... "hmmm, maybe I'll give that a go".

The other take away is how sickly do I look!?! I mean, I am a little fat, and my skin color isn't perfect, but sheesh, he took one look at me and was like "Quasimodo coming through, Cut the line quick!" :p

Chi84

Premium Member
I agree with your having a legit reason for accommodation 100%

I also agree the CM could have handled it way better.

The point I wanted to add, is that the snarky CM was very likely just burnt out on the abusers of the system. While the majority of the blame falls on him, I know I appreciate the fact that it is the ABUSERS that give the whole works a bad name. They are what make me sensitive to what I perceive as shenanigans. WDW has fixed almost all of the incentive to abuse, but you did just point out another big unresolved incentive (close parking). There are bajillions of people who have no problem lying or exaggerating an issue to get those spots. That poor CM has to sort all that out? That's a stink job right there.

And there are a lot of abusers. I really don't know why the focus is not more on them, instead of the people (legit folks and staff) forced to deal with them on a regular basis?
Honestly there should be a special place in hell for people who abuse systems designed to help people with disabilities - either temporary or permanent.

I would have been fine if the CM had said “sorry, without a placard your only options are regular parking or paying for premium parking.” I would have paid for the closer lot. But by not saying that and acting as though he was helping, he took away that option.

I’m sympathetic to abused CMs and I wish Disney had better systems in place, but that CM shouldn’t have been able to decide whether or not I was worthy of help. And if he was given that discretion, he should have simply and politely explained that my only options were regular or premium parking.

I don’t care what the issue is - the answer can never be abusing people with a disability.

Last edited:

Hcalvert

@Supertech65 I went through the pre-booking of the two DAS. They are an advantage as you can also book another DAS when you arrive even if overlaps with the pre-booked ones. I ended up using about 50% of the pre-books due to temporary ride closures, leaving the park earlier than planned, or just not feeling up to it that particular day. They will provide a list of qualifying rides in the online chat that you have to do to book them.

jloucks

Precisely.....
I agree, but who decides?

That is the problem with the whole system. With the exception of parking place tags, I don't think there is any authentication system in place.

...and where there is no authentication system in place, there is going to be a lot of abuse.

Correction: There are some systems in the workplace to authenticate, but even those are in some cases wishy-washy.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
I really think some CMs need a crash course in how to be polite though I get sometimes guests test them. I have bad stories of that, but those here, I am so sorry you dealt with snark or CMs lacking in compassion.

I do not think the question about violating ADA is really an issue though in my experience. They are asking proper questions to weed out.

None of the top tier rides are pre-bookable. So if you want to pre-book those, you have to pay ILL like everyone else, get in a tour, or do a return time after tapping in. The pool for Genie+ was too big and not related to DAS, which is why they are limiting Genie+ purchases so don't let that concern you.

Not even going to touch the other subject here 😂
Unless something changed from November. I was told every ride was available except the rides that they were charging extra money to ride. So you should be able to book every ride except 1 in each park. My window opens in a couple of weeks and im curious if i will be excluded from just the 1 currently or potentially 2 as the end date is 8/7th where 1 ride per park is an up charge. I just dont see how they can go back to 2 if capacity is such an issue w Genie and take away more inventory. That would be awesome if they booked the rides at the same time as opposed to having to do the process on aseparate chat…

thomas998

Thank you all, having visited the parks over the years and without even knowing the offered DAS until a cast member told me on the last day of my trip last year mid panic attack. I don’t want to be seen as taking advantage etc. I’ve struggled with severe GAD since I was around 14 and recently after having children worsened further. I only struggle on certain attractions so I just avoid them. The medication I take is known to make you more photophobic meaning you can get sun stroke easier and cannot tolerate as long in the sun, in the past this has caused me to faint which isn’t fun at all, it leads to a crowd over you which just aggravates things more. as I will be going august this year I’m aware it’s a much hotter time in Orlando.

I really don’t want to take advantage or be seen as playing the system etc, I’m aware there are people who abuse it etc
If you are on meds that make you sensitive to the sun then Orlando or anywhere in Florida during the summer is asking for problems. Daughter number 1 was put on meds that made her sensitive to sunlight, we had no clue how bad until a trip to Disney in June.... we found out the hard way. After that we aimed for other times of the year when you have fewer hours of sun per day and better odds of clouds. Then schedules more park times to either early morning or late afternoon to night. I would highly suggest you rethink August. I don't think any DAS would really help you with avoiding the sun. Honestly December thru January were our best times when our oldest was going with us.

correcaminos

Unless something changed from November. I was told every ride was available except the rides that they were charging extra money to ride. So you should be able to book every ride except 1 in each park. My window opens in a couple of weeks and im curious if i will be excluded from just the 1 currently or potentially 2 as the end date is 8/7th where 1 ride per park is an up charge. I just dont see how they can go back to 2 if capacity is such an issue w Genie and take away more inventory. That would be awesome if they booked the rides at the same time as opposed to having to do the process on aseparate chat…
Nope, those rides (Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway, Frozen Ever After, Remy's Ratatouille Adventure, Space Mountain and Expedition Everest – Legend of the Forbidden Mountain) were not allowed to be pre-booked still for DAS this summer.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Nope, those rides (Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway, Frozen Ever After, Remy's Ratatouille Adventure, Space Mountain and Expedition Everest – Legend of the Forbidden Mountain) were not allowed to be pre-booked still for DAS this summer.
really?!?!?! so much for the info i received over the phone about a month ago... was specifically told otherwise and this was the DAS direct support line... were you denied them or was told otherwise? Not questioning you just trying to get an idea so i know what to look and book when making the chat/call.

correcaminos

really?!?!?! so much for the info i received over the phone about a month ago... was specifically told otherwise and this was the DAS direct support line... were you denied them or was told otherwise? Not questioning you just trying to get an idea so i know what to look and book when making the chat/call.
Yes, really. The list is online and what they send when you go to book your rides. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/f...lities/attractions-available-for-das-advance/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom