DAS with anxiety disorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamabear20192022

Original Poster
If you are on meds that make you sensitive to the sun then Orlando or anywhere in Florida during the summer is asking for problems. Daughter number 1 was put on meds that made her sensitive to sunlight, we had no clue how bad until a trip to Disney in June.... we found out the hard way. After that we aimed for other times of the year when you have fewer hours of sun per day and better odds of clouds. Then schedules more park times to either early morning or late afternoon to night. I would highly suggest you rethink August. I don't think any DAS would really help you with avoiding the sun. Honestly December thru January were our best times when our oldest was going with us.
We try to travel to Orlando at the cooler periods but unfortunately we now have to go during school holidays to visit my parents over there, it’s a 5 week trip to make it worth while so had to go during UK summer holidays, I’m just going to try my best to stay in the shade but I had my DAS approved to avoid long lines in the sun

bhg469

We try to travel to Orlando at the cooler periods but unfortunately we now have to go during school holidays to visit my parents over there, it’s a 5 week trip to make it worth while so had to go during UK summer holidays, I’m just going to try my best to stay in the shade but I had my DAS approved to avoid long lines in the sun
You may be better off hopping in a queue for shade. With a few exceptions, most of them have a ton more shade than the parks themselves! Best of luck for your trip.

thomas998

Good luck, but be ready for some problems. While we didn't use the DAS I don't think it would have helped as the amount of time just walking in the open from one queue to another was too much exposure. We never stood in any queues that would force us to stand in the sun and most of them were fairly shaded. I would suggest you avoid EPCOT in the day as you get a lot of sun simply going around to the different areas. Also make use of the shops on the on Main Street to the left of the entrance since they are still all connected and you can easily get from one end to the other without ever getting in the sun.

ppete1975

I agree, but who decides?

That is the problem with the whole system. With the exception of parking place tags, I don't think there is any authentication system in place.

...and where there is no authentication system in place, there is going to be a lot of abuse.

Correction: There are some systems in the workplace to authenticate, but even those are in some cases wishy-washy.
There are tons of ways, same with "service animals"

The question is how to do it without getting sued in our heavy litigation environment thats been created.

I think a drs note when getting a DAS is fair. As I also think there should be a patch or the vest the animal wears has to be acquired through a dr for service animals. But when you can make up something for DAS with no proof, or buy a vest off amazon.. all credibility for the people that truly need it is gone.

Parking tags are an excellent point your bring up, if that can be legislated then why not service animal vests.

ppete1975

So I just read the DAS for the first time (since I dont need it, its never applied to me). Its kind of a crappy system.
I have a friend i went to six flags with that had the equivalent (he had a drs note where he couldnt stand for very long in one place due to back issues), and you just showed the ride attendant the pass and they sent you in the back way to the front of the line (some pretty interesting backdoors i must admit like an elevator that went right to the entrance!!)

yet disney is just 2 rides per day. If you have a legitimate need for 1, I am fine with you getting the equivalent of lightning lane.

Then again I dont know the volume.. i might be shocked.

bhg469

So I just read the DAS for the first time (since I dont need it, its never applied to me). Its kind of a crappy system.
I have a friend i went to six flags with that had the equivalent (he had a drs note where he couldnt stand for very long in one place due to back issues), and you just showed the ride attendant the pass and they sent you in the back way to the front of the line (some pretty interesting backdoors i must admit like an elevator that went right to the entrance!!)

yet disney is just 2 rides per day. If you have a legitimate need for 1, I am fine with you getting the equivalent of lightning lane.

Busch Gardens gave you a return time on all the rides unless there was a short wait. Seems it varies quite a bit between companies.

ppete1975

Busch Gardens gave you a return time on all the rides unless there was a short wait. Seems it varies quite a bit between companies.
is there a limit to rides per day? I am uneducated due to not needing it so its all interesting to me, and it does seem to vary widely.

bhg469

is there a limit to rides per day? I am uneducated due to not needing it so its all interesting to me, and it does seem to vary widely.
I honestly don't know, we simply attended with a family that used it while we did not. It seemed like it was a one ride per day situation.

bhg469

I honestly don't know, we simply attended with a family that used it while we did not. It seemed like it was a one ride per day situation.
I'm sorry I meant to say one of each ride once a day. not one single ride.

AEfx

If you have a legitimate need for 1, I am fine with you getting the equivalent of lightning lane.

Under the old system, that's pretty much what you got - and according to some CM's, it really was an obscene percentage of guests who had them. Don't quote me, but I believe they used to say something like 20-25% of guests on a given day.

Of course, it got so bad that once people started "renting" disabled folks so they got to skip lines, that that old program turned into what we have today.

It's a shame for people that really needed it, because - as you say, if you had a legit need, more power to you. The problem is, it became more about "want" than "need". And folks who just don't like to wait in line with neurotypical children feeling entitled to it.

To be honest, I think the real issue is the ADA itself - it was poorly written and erred too far on the "privacy" side to prevent any real enforcement. Privacy is important, of course, but I don't know anyone who truly has a medical disability that wouldn't gladly carry a doctors certification or other proof if Disney was able to require it. Most people already have that documentation any way for various reasons.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Did you mean DAS just allows 2 rides per day?

Pre-registering DAS via chat offers 2 rides to be pre-booked, in addition to the regular rolling reservations that can be made with DAS. The 2 options for DAS currently:

Show up at Guest Services in WDW and if approved guests can request return times on a rolling basis. Previously this had to be done physically by showing up at the ride or a blue umbrella, but they have improved this method with the ability to do it thru MDE now as well.

Pre-register via chat 2-30 days before arrival and if approved guests may pre-book 2 ride time slots per day, plus the same rolling return times described above. Time windows may overlap, so say IASW was prebooked for 10am and at 9:30a the guest got a 10:10a return time for PP, the system would allow. Unlike G+, guests may repeat rides.

Six Flags uses a third party to verify need, who are required and able to keep the info confidential (and I think it needs to be done prior to arrival). From what I understand the ADA laws allow this if there is some kind of monetary value similar to the accommodation, like the park has paid front of line access that is basically the same as their disability access.

correcaminos

There are tons of ways, same with "service animals"

The question is how to do it without getting sued in our heavy litigation environment thats been created.

I think a drs note when getting a DAS is fair. As I also think there should be a patch or the vest the animal wears has to be acquired through a dr for service animals. But when you can make up something for DAS with no proof, or buy a vest off amazon.. all credibility for the people that truly need it is gone.

Parking tags are an excellent point your bring up, if that can be legislated then why not service animal vests.
Because you would have to give power to schools or trainers. Not all service animals wear vests as well. While I want people to not have fake service dogs, it is not a doctor who can say a dog is actually trained. It would be expensive and time consuming. In no way is it like HA tags. Which are like prescriptions written out. Again all for keeping fake dogs out but it would be more complicated than you think. Doctors are not involved in training or schools. The schools vet the students, not doctors. If you know people with service animals or have ever worked with a school you'd know why this would be bad (allowing doctors giving a patch). People can fake a doctor more than a school and you couldn't guarantee the dognis actually trained properly without the schools/trainers.

You can ask handlers if the dog is required for a disability and what tasks are they trained to do. No one asks though as a whole.

A Dr. note would be fine, but easy to fake or get one written up. So even that won't deter liars. The threat of perma ban is at least nice.

ppete1975

Because you would have to give power to schools or trainers. Not all service animals wear vests as well. While I want people to not have fake service dogs, it is not a doctor who can say a dog is actually trained. It would be expensive and time consuming. In no way is it like HA tags. Which are like prescriptions written out. Again all for keeping fake dogs out but it would be more complicated than you think. Doctors are not involved in training or schools. The schools vet the students, not doctors. If you know people with service animals or have ever worked with a school you'd know why this would be bad (allowing doctors giving a patch). People can fake a doctor more than a school and you couldn't guarantee the dognis actually trained properly without the schools/trainers.

You can ask handlers if the dog is required for a disability and what tasks are they trained to do. No one asks though as a whole.

A Dr. note would be fine, but easy to fake or get one written up. So even that won't deter liars. The threat of perma ban is at least nice.
I look at it as like i do a padlock or locked doors. As my dad would say, it keeps honest people honest. Crooks are still going to break in, but you keep the fringe people who just look for an opportunity out.

So it wouldnt cut down on all of it, but it would reduce the amount. Its like the tic tockers that found out you could wear a low cut shirt and get a free spirit jersey from disney. Once people find out that all they need is a vest to keep their animal on them they just order it though amazon. Or if they find out disney will let them have a das because they say they have anxiety they will ask for it.

Putting some kind of guidelines in place would make it where people that need these things are more respected, and hopefully get more perks. I knew a girl that brought her dog to work everyday, had no issues she just liked having her dog at work. But nobody would question it because they were afraid to be sued. Yet there are people that have seizures where the dog protects their head during an episode (i hope thats the right term), yet they are looked at as crooks that dont need their dog.

correcaminos

I look at it as like i do a padlock or locked doors. As my dad would say, it keeps honest people honest. Crooks are still going to break in, but you keep the fringe people who just look for an opportunity out.

So it wouldnt cut down on all of it, but it would reduce the amount. Its like the tic tockers that found out you could wear a low cut shirt and get a free spirit jersey from disney. Once people find out that all they need is a vest to keep their animal on them they just order it though amazon. Or if they find out disney will let them have a das because they say they have anxiety they will ask for it.

Putting some kind of guidelines in place would make it where people that need these things are more respected, and hopefully get more perks. I knew a girl that brought her dog to work everyday, had no issues she just liked having her dog at work. But nobody would question it because they were afraid to be sued. Yet there are people that have seizures where the dog protects their head during an episode (i hope thats the right term), yet they are looked at as crooks that dont need their dog.
You do realize you are allowed to ask the 2 questions I stated for dogs, right? You cannot be sued for asking. People just don't know and that's on businesses and training, not others.

Your comment on anxiety in this specific thread feels highly judgmental too. The tik tok shirt thing? Others tried and were denied. Granted a friend got a free shirt after getting sick on Star Tours but I won't even pretend to suggest it nor expect it to happen every time. The perma ban is new and being required to sign in might deter some. I am carry a doc note to be safe. So I have no issues as long as generic and such is okay. I don't want more specifics than I give. The service dog thing is not okay to put on doctors but if possible a nationwide registry would be okay... would be incredibly difficult though.

ppete1975

You do realize you are allowed to ask the 2 questions I stated for dogs, right? You cannot be sued for asking. People just don't know and that's on businesses and training, not others.

Your comment on anxiety in this specific thread feels highly judgmental too. The tik tok shirt thing? Others tried and were denied. Granted a friend got a free shirt after getting sick on Star Tours but I won't even pretend to suggest it nor expect it to happen every time. The perma ban is new and being required to sign in might deter some. I am carry a doc note to be safe. So I have no issues as long as generic and such is okay. I don't want more specifics than I give. The service dog thing is not okay to put on doctors but if possible a nationwide registry would be okay... would be incredibly difficult though.
I apologize if you are misunderstanding my intent.
I am 1000 percent in favor of anything done for people that need either service dogs or the DAS. I am a million times against people who lie to get the perks associated, if for no other reason than it diminishes the value for the people that truly need it, and cause them to be judged as cheaters by some due to people knowing that some game the system.
I am not sure what would be needed but I would like to see the people that have no reason to use either to be stopped, so that people that need these can get full benefit.
My apologies, if my wording made you think otherwise.

To answer the tik tok thing... this was actually a big tik tok think for girls to see if they could get a free shirt and some did succeed. This was due to a girl who went on tik tok that was wearing an inappropriately cut shirt and disney took her into one of their stores on main street and allowed her to get any shirt for free.. and so she went on tik tok and said.. this is how you get free clothes from disney. Another thing where disney was doing something nice, and people took advantage. From what I understand they have changed their policy now, to you arent allowed in.

My entire point is that there are people that need special consideration, and its abhorrent that some people that have no issues take advantage of these things.

correcaminos

I apologize if you are misunderstanding my intent.
I am 1000 percent in favor of anything done for people that need either service dogs or the DAS. I am a million times against people who lie to get the perks associated, if for no other reason than it diminishes the value for the people that truly need it, and cause them to be judged as cheaters by some due to people knowing that some game the system.
I am not sure what would be needed but I would like to see the people that have no reason to use either to be stopped, so that people that need these can get full benefit.
My apologies, if my wording made you think otherwise.

To answer the tik tok thing... this was actually a big tik tok think for girls to see if they could get a free shirt and some did succeed. This was due to a girl who went on tik tok that was wearing an inappropriately cut shirt and disney took her into one of their stores on main street and allowed her to get any shirt for free.. and so she went on tik tok and said.. this is how you get free clothes from disney. Another thing where disney was doing something nice, and people took advantage. From what I understand they have changed their policy now, to you arent allowed in.

My entire point is that there are people that need special consideration, and its abhorrent that some people that have no issues take advantage of these things.
I follow your line of thinking now, and I apologize for misreading intent.

I actually knew of the tik tok girl and laughed when many didn't succeed. I still question whether all that happened or not. They could have turned away easily too. But hey, who knows.

But yes, when people abuse things it irks me. I've worked with a local guide dog school (they do only guide, not other working dogs) and have a friend who has done the process more than once. Even been to Disney with them. As a DAS user abusers bug me too and I am somewhat willing to do more to get it. To be fair the process for 6 Flags was annoying as a 1 time possible visitor but they'll do a day exception to it (last check). However if Disney went that way I'd work through it. But to me ask for a note? I'm fine. I just have to remember to get it updated.

MickeyCB

People really do try to abuse systems.
I'm a retired internist and I had a patient that I liked but was a little quirky, who asked me to write her a note that her 2 very large dogs had to fly in the plane with her to Alaska because they were her emotional support dogs.
She admitted this wasn't true and she just wanted to save money flying them up there.
She was very insistent and wasn't very happy with me when I refused. 🤷‍♀️

Club Cooloholic

People really do try to abuse systems.
I'm a retired internist and I had a patient that I liked but was a little quirky, who asked me to write her a note that her 2 very large dogs had to fly in the plane with her to Alaska because they were her emotional support dogs.
She admitted this wasn't true and she just wanted to save money flying them up there.
She was very insistent and wasn't very happy with me when I refused. 🤷‍♀️
Yup. And she would have tried to get out of paying dog fees for the hotel, too. Some folks have no shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom