DAS with anxiety disorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW_Emily

I am being honest when I ask this, but if one has a severe anxiety disorder, how is being strapped into a vehicle that you can't get out of going to be good for that? Theme park rides seem like a bad combo with that disorder. Walking the park, taking in shows seeing characters seems good.
It all depends on a persons triggers. I have severe anxiety on high dose medication for it and have learned a lot of strategies. I fly all the time for vacation and work (1-2 flights per month) and this past April I was returning from Mexico and had a full blown anxiety attack when taking off.
Lines can also trigger anxiety due to the close quarters and crowds. My sister also suffers from anxiety and loves rides. We utilized genie + for almost every ride but didn't pay the extra for Mine Train. That line and the people around us being extra close set her off and she ended up leaving the ride and not riding.

I don't know anything about DAS but just wanted to put it my 2 cents out there for why people with anxiety might need it. Especially if they don't know the parks well and/or how to use genie +.

correcaminos

I am being honest when I ask this, but if one has a severe anxiety disorder, how is being strapped into a vehicle that you can't get out of going to be good for that? Theme park rides seem like a bad combo with that disorder. Walking the park, taking in shows seeing characters seems good.
Triggers are different. I have PTSD from an assault. So sitting in a car won't trigger anything. But if a tall person stands behind me too close, I can easily be triggered because that's how the assault happened. Even sitting in a restaurant it can happen so I try to position myself with my back against a wall. I have neuro issues that will cause muscle spasms and loss of feeling if I cannot stretch out and walk or lay down. Sadly those can feel similar to what I experienced and trigger a panic attack as well. Anxiety attacks are worse though (panic is shorter term attacks, anxiety lasts a day for me) and are triggered by stupid brain of mine creating situations in my brain. Nothing in cars seems to trigger them. Now when I was stuck on TT for 30 minutes strapped in too tight I nearly had one but I felt trapped.

A friend's kid was in a horrific accident and has triggers from that. For them a car ride is triggering. Anxiety isn't being afraid of things at all times like you are thinking.

Club Cooloholic

Triggers are different. I have PTSD from an assault. So sitting in a car won't trigger anything. But if a tall person stands behind me too close, I can easily be triggered because that's how the assault happened. Even sitting in a restaurant it can happen so I try to position myself with my back against a wall. I have neuro issues that will cause muscle spasms and loss of feeling if I cannot stretch out and walk or lay down. Sadly those can feel similar to what I experienced and trigger a panic attack as well. Anxiety attacks are worse though (panic is shorter term attacks, anxiety lasts a day for me) and are triggered by stupid brain of mine creating situations in my brain. Nothing in cars seems to trigger them. Now when I was stuck on TT for 30 minutes strapped in too tight I nearly had one but I felt trapped.

A friend's kid was in a horrific accident and has triggers from that. For them a car ride is triggering. Anxiety isn't being afraid of things at all times like you are thinking.
First, I am sorry for what happened to you. That is awful. But I am well aware of what anxiety triggers are, I guess I just dont see why I would want to put myself in that sort of situation for my mental health. I love WDW but I don't think riding Space Mountain would be a big enough payoff to my mental well being. There are going to be lines and people of all sizes just walking around the park. To me, I will take a trip to Zion or Acadia and hike some of the less busy trails over that any day. But that is me and I respect one doing what they want to do. Leisure time is short and we should all do what we want with it.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
First, I am sorry for what happened to you. That is awful. But I am well aware of what anxiety triggers are, I guess I just dont see why I would want to put myself in that sort of situation for my mental health. I love WDW but I don't think riding Space Mountain would be a big enough payoff to my mental well being. There are going to be lines and people of all sizes just walking around the park. To me, I will take a trip to Zion or Acadia and hike some of the less busy trails over that any day.
That's the nice thing about ADA and the accommodations it requires. It makes things easier for people with disabilities and lets them choose for themselves which experiences can be enjoyable for them in their particular circumstances. Although I'm sure people mean well with their suggestions for other things to do.

Last edited:

correcaminos

First, I am sorry for what happened to you. That is awful. But I am well aware of what anxiety triggers are, I guess I just dont see why I would want to put myself in that sort of situation for my mental health. I love WDW but I don't think riding Space Mountain would be a big enough payoff to my mental well being. There are going to be lines and people of all sizes just walking around the park. To me, I will take a trip to Zion or Acadia and hike some of the less busy trails over that any day. But that is me and I respect one doing what they want to do. Leisure time is short and we should all do what we want with it.
Given this is a situation with any lines, it's impossible to avoid. So either I stay home all day every day or I do the best I can. Same with my neuro issues. I can either find ways to deal or just stay home. Staying home when you have mental health issues can actually make it worse. Therapy has helped, but I have a kid and I cannot let it just get me at all times. Since I have other physical issues things like hiking or all alone places aren't always best for me anyway. But I understand your thought process.

As a whole Disney makes me happy. It has beautiful ties to my mom who passed when I was a teen. Thankfully DAS gets me through the bad enough to enjoy the good. I just have to do it different than I did when younger - including using DAS which I avoided until 2017 :)

Last edited:

Hawg G

The same question could be asked of the legions of autistic kids with 8 person families that go every day.

But, hey, we can't ask that question.

But, honestly, my late wife had a real issue that needed it. It was AWESOME to have it. I could easily lie and say I have the exact same thing she had (which was completely unobvious), and keep enjoying it.

DAS, and all the previous, even better versions, were a beast created by Disney, and fully taken advantage of by the jerks of the world. And they really can't stop it

correcaminos

The same question could be asked of the legions of autistic kids with 8 person families that go every day.

But, hey, we can't ask that question.

But, honestly, my late wife had a real issue that needed it. It was AWESOME to have it. I could easily lie and say I have the exact same thing she had (which was completely unobvious), and keep enjoying it.

DAS, and all the previous, even better versions, were a beast created by Disney, and fully taken advantage of by the jerks of the world. And they really can't stop it
People will always find ways to abuse, but I am glad I've seen mors strictness and threat of perma-ban though that does nothing to deter for some. Some days I use and others not really. When I need it, I am so grateful for it. I will say the app has helped as I pick and choose based on wait times. Sure they can change before I get there but that even has been a massive help.

Hey, it's the person from another thread who said they didn't really use DAS much, and it isn't that big of an advantage.
What did I miss?

Hawg G

People will always find ways to abuse, but I am glad I've seen mors strictness and threat of perma-ban though that does nothing to deter for some. Some days I use and others not really. When I need it, I am so grateful for it. I will say the app has helped as I pick and choose based on wait times. Sure they can change before I get there but that even has been a massive help.

What did I miss?
She was just saying how she liked Genie and FP+, but was told her opinion is sorta moot, as she uses DAS, which is essentially the same, so you actually get double rides if you use DAS with either, making them both fantastic systems. Argument ensued.

FP+ was fantastic, used in coordination with DAS.

correcaminos

She was just saying how she liked Genie and FP+, but was told her opinion is sorta moot, as she uses DAS, which is essentially the same, so you actually get double rides if you use DAS with either, making them both fantastic systems. Argument ensued.

FP+ was fantastic, used in coordination with DAS.
Ah then I saw that conversation and honestly was baffled by those saying DAS cannot have an opinion on G+. In November I tested both separately as it was a solo trip and wanted to see how it all went. Genie+ annoyed me so much and was useless for me with my needs (afternoons and evenings often are bad for me). DAS then was awful too but it seems to have improved (lots of app glitches where rides disappeared or didn't clear). Wasn't my favorite time using MDE. I've given up on Genie+ as a morning person it's not as helpful. If I were a DAS user who did better in evenings, it would be dreamy to stack, preschedule and the floating one. That trip was a good mix and test for me to know what worked for me. As it is, I toss in a VIP tour for one trip to make sure I get it all in.

I have heard Genie+ is better since they limited buy ins, so maybe I'll look again next time when I go. I'll be honest FP+ was way better for me than G+. If I had that as a paid option I'd probably drop VIP tours.

Hawg G

Ah then I saw that conversation and honestly was baffled by those saying DAS cannot have an opinion on G+. In November I tested both separately as it was a solo trip and wanted to see how it all went. Genie+ annoyed me so much and was useless for me with my needs (afternoons and evenings often are bad for me). DAS then was awful too but it seems to have improved (lots of app glitches where rides disappeared or didn't clear). Wasn't my favorite time using MDE. I've given up on Genie+ as a morning person it's not as helpful. If I were a DAS user who did better in evenings, it would be dreamy to stack, preschedule and the floating one. That trip was a good mix and test for me to know what worked for me. As it is, I toss in a VIP tour for one trip to make sure I get it all in.

I have heard Genie+ is better since they limited buy ins, so maybe I'll look again next time when I go. I'll be honest FP+ was way better for me than G+. If I had that as a paid option I'd probably drop VIP tours.
The point is, no matter how bad either is, they are ADDITIVE. Which is sorta crazy now, with both being in app.

And honestly, if DAS usage removed parts of G+, fewer would abuse it.

Last edited:

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Hey, it's the person from another thread who said they didn't really use DAS much, and it isn't that big of an advantage.
It truly wasnt during FP and its sooo much of an advantage that even tho i have been adamant about hoe awful Genie is i still bought it even tho i have DAS. Thats how much of an advantage DAS is. Go try and troll someone else. Ive clearly stated how i used DAS and the % of rides DAS was as opposed to FP/Genie/Standby. Feel free to read those again bc again. Obviously it helps but as ive stated to me it was NO huge advantage when FP+ was around and with Genie in November as well.

correcaminos

It truly wasnt during FP and its sooo much of an advantage that even tho i have been adamant about hoe awful Genie is i still bought it even tho i have DAS. Thats how much of an advantage DAS is. Go try and troll someone else. Ive clearly stated how i used DAS and the % of rides DAS was as opposed to FP/Genie/Standby. Feel free to read those again bc again. Obviously it helps but as ive stated to me it was NO huge advantage when FP+ was around and with Genie in November as well.
Honestly I didn't realize who this was when I asked. I'm so sorry.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Honestly I didn't realize who this was when I asked. I'm so sorry.
No need to be sorry. Just seems anything i say regarding MY personal experiences regarding MY trips to Disney using FP, DAS, Genie etc is either a lie or my opinions are irrelevant. Ive been on these boards for 2decades actually longer. Never posted til recently now i know why… like i have anything to gain from sharing my experience etc. just like my Dining plan statements that it saved me a ton if money & was called out for that until i explained how & was again vindicated 🤷‍♂️ People need to get better hobbies thats for sure.
I rent a car because i felt ME was not that great & think the buses were awful. But again thats my opinion based on my experience. Im not gonna tell
Someone who says otherwise bc im sure others truly enjoy it etc. only thing i will
Be adamant about is Genie vs FP+… & how awful Genie is especially when comparing to FP.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
No need to be sorry. Just seems anything i say regarding MY personal experiences regarding MY trips to Disney using FP, DAS, Genie etc is either a lie or my opinions are irrelevant. Ive been on these boards for 2decades actually longer. Never posted til recently now i know why… like i have anything to gain from sharing my experience etc. just like my Dining plan statements that it saved me a ton if money & was called out for that until i explained how & was again vindicated 🤷‍♂️ People need to get better hobbies thats for sure.
I rent a car because i felt ME was not that great & think the buses were awful. But again thats my opinion based on my experience. Im not gonna tell
Someone who says otherwise bc im sure others truly enjoy it etc. only thing i will
Be adamant about is Genie vs FP+… & how awful Genie is especially when comparing to FP.

The thing is,... There are a lot of people on these boards who are painfully honest about their awful experience with Genie+ and Lightning Lane. Then at the same time a new and improved DAS is rolled out with advanced ride reservations and mobile app return times, well it starts to draw attention to DAS because it is an effective program.

Those of us who need the program celebrated the changes (at least the mobile app thing) because they make DAS less clunky and more useful. I get it. And it's nobody on this forums fault that Genie+ seems to be a flop failure. If they could make G+ work, nobody would care about DAS again. Hopefully they'll do that.

I don't know the history between y'all's conversation and I hope this thread doesn't turn into some heated off topic argument. But you have valid park going experience, and they also have a valid point that DAS is additive right now with Genie+. You're both correct, lol.

correcaminos

The thing is,... There are a lot of people on these boards who are painfully honest about their awful experience with Genie+ and Lightning Lane. Then at the same time a new and improved DAS is rolled out with advanced ride reservations and mobile app return times, well it starts to draw attention to DAS because it is an effective program.

Those of us who need the program celebrated the changes (at least the mobile app thing) because they make DAS less clunky and more useful. I get it. And it's nobody on this forums fault that Genie+ seems to be a flop failure. If they could make G+ work, nobody would care about DAS again. Hopefully they'll do that.

I don't know the history between y'all's conversation and I hope this thread doesn't turn into some heated off topic argument. But you have valid park going experience, and they also have a valid point that DAS is additive right now with Genie+. You're both correct, lol.
I think my issue was people saying we cannot have an opinion on G+ because we use DAS. I don't always schedule every day. I don't always use it at all. Being told feelings are invalid kind of sucks.

I will say November my DAS experience was underwhelming at first. Now it seems better and more stable although I have had some glitches where the rides do disappear at times.

Hawg G

I think my issue was people saying we cannot have an opinion on G+ because we use DAS. I don't always schedule every day. I don't always use it at all. Being told feelings are invalid kind of sucks.

I will say November my DAS experience was underwhelming at first. Now it seems better and more stable although I have had some glitches where the rides do disappear at times.

So are you trying to dissuade people from using DAS? I mean, it's a free EXTRA line jumping program. It has benefits other programs don't have.

It ADDS to whatever else you are using, be that FP, FP+, G+, or doing standby only. There is absolutely NOTHING negative to it. And I used it before it was on an app, where you get to prechoose some rides. WOW, that would have been a HUGE added benefit to the already awesome system I used.

correcaminos

So are you trying to dissuade people from using DAS? I mean, it's a free EXTRA line jumping program. It has benefits other programs don't have.

It ADDS to whatever else you are using, be that FP, FP+, G+, or doing standby only. There is absolutely NOTHING negative to it. And I used it before it was on an app, where you get to prechoose some rides. WOW, that would have been a HUGE added benefit to the already awesome system I used.
I am not doing anything other than sharing experiences. I am being blunt honest that DAS and MDE are not perfect. I had a ton of issues with it in November as stated. Less issues later but I did have rides disappear when they were there - and I couldn't re-add as it was a glitch so either nice CMs at the beginning of the lines let me through or GE CMs fixed it. It's not perfect.

DAS is for those with a need. Not those looking for an add. If you want an add then there are tours and G+.

It is also not line jumping the way you imply. I realize your late wife used the old version, and not even sure which version but I'm guessing the GAC which was abused and line jumping. DAS has been on the app for quite some time. Use has changed.

Hawg G

I am not doing anything other than sharing experiences. I am being blunt honest that DAS and MDE are not perfect. I had a ton of issues with it in November as stated. Less issues later but I did have rides disappear when they were there - and I couldn't re-add as it was a glitch so either nice CMs at the beginning of the lines let me through or GE CMs fixed it. It's not perfect.

DAS is for those with a need. Not those looking for an add. If you want an add then there are tours and G+.

It is also not line jumping the way you imply. I realize your late wife used the old version, and not even sure which version but I'm guessing the GAC which was abused and line jumping. DAS has been on the app for quite some time. Use has changed.
We used DAS 3 years ago. And as you say, if you have a problem, they usually just let you right in the line. It's awesome.

And probably 20% of users truly NEED it. It helps a large portion of the users. But honestly, as I get older, not having to stand in lines all week REALLY helps me out, and I don't get grouchy, or have a meltdown when I watch 8 person Group after 8 person group all walk right in the standby line like they own the place. So, is old age any less of a need than the legions of autistic people with their 7 family members?

I honestly can't believe you are trying to convince people DAS isn't an amazing awesome advantage.

correcaminos

We used DAS 3 years ago. And as you say, if you have a problem, they usually just let you right in the line. It's awesome.

And probably 20% of users truly NEED it. It helps a large portion of the users. But honestly, as I get older, not having to stand in lines all week REALLY helps me out, and I don't get grouchy, or have a meltdown when I watch 8 person Group after 8 person group all walk right in the standby line like they own the place. So, is old age any less of a need than the legions of autistic people with their 7 family members?

I honestly can't believe you are trying to convince people DAS isn't an amazing awesome advantage.
Your judgmental comments here and honestly elsewhere (humble brag etc) are unhelpful. If you have issues standing, get a wheelchair. Because that is what they will tell you. If a wheelchair would fix my issues, I'd use it. Not only would it not, it would make things worse.

Your posts are irrelevant since you do not use DAS and clearly miss that people are discussing the ins and outs of it - something you have no currently experience with. DAS is great but it isn't perfect. Having to wait in line to fix issues repeatedly is far from "awesome" when DAS doesn't glitch it is great. When it is not, it's not. Oh and not all the time will they let you on. Missed out on kid's favorite ride our last day due to issues. I was told to come back and then the ride went down until we left.

So take as a warning it can suck. But most of the time it's okay. With that I'm out of this crazy derailment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom