Darth Maul/Kid Incident - SWW '09

joanna71985

I don't think ropes are necessary. Most people know how to stay behind the line on the ground. Besides, I don't think a rope would have kept that kid back.

The Empress Lilly

WDW should boot out of the parks people who ruin the enjoyment of other guests by refusing to control their kids.

WDW suffers from too much respect for guests, not too little.

joanna71985

Perhaps you're correct JoJo, had you heard about this at work before?

Nope. I've never seen that video before today.

As for having ropes, I just want to point out that people duck under the ropes all the time at the MK. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've had people stepping out under the ropes, or dashing across the street, during the parades.

WDW Vacationer

The kid does have special needs,but the parents should have gotten him off the parade route. Call the character over for a high-five. Most likely they will come.

I'd love to see the real video,not a screen grab. He can make us think whatever he wants by providing a screen grab and writing a cpation. For all we know, Darth Maul wasn't "looking at him like he was going to attack him again",he was looking at the crowd. Maybe he never pushed him,but rather gestured and looked as though he was taking a swing at the kid.

Oh, and saying WDW is not safe for kids is absolutely the biggest load of crap I've heard in a while. The kid sustained no injury from this. All other incidents in WDW have been for the most part due to the stupidity of the guest.

Somebody had a bad visit, and took it out on Disney.

Laura

Premium Member
Parents who do not stay tight as toast to their kids during a parade should be handed over to the Sith Lord at the end of the day.

cheshiresmile

The mother is right there and she makes sure she gets more pics and looks back at the dad before she even checks to see if the kid is alright? If you saw that your son couldn't stay out of the parade route, the parade with cars, then you need to get him out of there. It is your job to protect them, period. And when something happens you drop the camera and see if they're ok.
That said, some of the comments are disgusting and go way too far.

echoscot

With fear and trepidation, I post a reply:

I was friends with many many many characters for many years dating back to 1980 and lead and trained many many more parade performers. I was involved in the very first Star Wars Weekends before they became an official year to year event.

Point 1. The Studios originally did use ropes and stanchions (sp?) for parades and events for several years. The tape came as a labor and cost savings situation. My preference was the ropes.

Point 2: More of an opinion, ropes or not, I have seen much much worse from kids along a parade route than what this kid was doing and have "high-fived" multiple kids then patiently walked them back to the edge knowing they would jump back out later. (run-on sentence I know sorry:veryconfu)

Point 3: Disney rule/policy/hard fact not able to get away from:

"NEVER retaliate against a guest NO MATTER WHAT the provocation." that is a period the end. And especially this being a child.

Point 4: Darth Maul appeared to me to be acting what he perceived to be in character not realizing the child was handicapped. So I have a hard time with this. But even the "villains" have to understand their limitations and part of training involves sensitivity towards all children.

Point 5: The father's video is a pathetic overexaggeration of an incident that he hopes to gain sympathy from by posting on the internet. The slow motion and stills with the sensationalistic captions is ridiculous.

I know I will get blasted for saying this, but this is not the first kind of incident like this, nor is it the last. In my viewing this is dramatically different from the Tigger video where I see Tigger simply trying to remove himself from a rough situation and accidentally tapping the kids face.

Okay, I am done now. Fire at will:lookaroun

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No

I was friends with many many many characters for many years dating back to 1980 and lead and trained many many more parade performers. I was involved in the very first Star Wars Weekends before they became an official year to year event.

Point 1. The Studios originally did use ropes and stanchions (sp?) for parades and events for several years. The tape came as a labor and cost savings situation. My preference was the ropes.

Point 2: More of an opinion, ropes or not, I have seen much much worse from kids along a parade route than what this kid was doing and have "high-fived" multiple kids then patiently walked them back to the edge knowing they would jump back out later. (run-on sentence I know sorry:veryconfu)

Point 3: Disney rule/policy/hard fact not able to get away from:

"NEVER retaliate against a guest NO MATTER WHAT the provocation." that is a period the end. And especially this being a child.

Point 4: Darth Maul appeared to me to be acting what he perceived to be in character not realizing the child was handicapped. So I have a hard time with this. But even the "villains" have to understand their limitations and part of training involves sensitivity towards all children.

Point 5: The father's video is a pathetic overexaggeration of an incident that he hopes to gain sympathy from by posting on the internet. The slow motion and stills with the sensationalistic captions is ridiculous.

I know I will get blasted for saying this, but this is not the first kind of incident like this, nor is it the last. In my viewing this is dramatically different from the Tigger video where I see Tigger simply trying to remove himself from a rough situation and accidentally tapping the kids face.

Okay, I am done now. Fire at will:lookaroun
No "fire" from this quarter...

I think your assessment is bang on.

Laura

Premium Member

No reason to be afraid to post your opinion in an opinion forum. :wave:

The people who usually are bullying others around here are little dweebs with no friends in real life, posting from their mother's basement, and would probably burst into tears if someone so much as looked at them funny.

Don't be intimidated.

maggiegrace1

No reason to be afraid to post your opinion in an opinion forum. :wave:

The people who usually are bullying others around here are little dweebs with no friends in real life, posting from their mother's basement, and would probably burst into tears if someone so much as looked at them funny.

Don't be intimidated.
:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

OH MY That is so funny..and oh so true!!!!!!!!...:lol:

The_CEO

It would appear that given the situation, this wasn't this child's first parade. I would place money on the notion that the videographer knew the actions of the child was coming. The parents might of known that their child likes to "interact" a tad more than usual with the characters in any given environment. So here is the Star Wars parade with "evil" characters. The actor already has to be in a bad mood to "portray" his image. Yet a child runs up to him and without him knowing he pushes him off .. Yeah that is pretty harsh, but I want to go back to the idea that the parents might of known of their child's actions before it even happened. $$

Jimmy Thick

The thing being missed is the fact the guy stayed true to the Darth Maul character.

I would buy the guy a beer or soft drink of his choice.

echoscot

The thing being missed is the fact the guy stayed true to the Darth Maul character.

I would buy the guy a beer or soft drink of his choice.

I didn't miss that:

echoscot said:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom