Dancing With The Stars: Season 6

PeoplemoverTTA

Original Poster
There has to be some folks around here who also watch Dancing With The Stars! I have watched since Season 1 and I am completely obsessed, so I thought it might be fruitful to have some discussion each week about the show. It was tough tonight going up against Idol, but I managed to see everything I wanted (sorry, Biggest Loser!).

The ladies tonight were way better than the guys last night. Adam Carolla and Penn Jillette definitely need to go first...although I thought I heard Tom Bergeron say that one male and one female will go next week? If so, that is definitely not fair.

I am a bit biased because I love Mark Ballas (he is hot and charming in person, I can personally attest). Kristi definitely looked better than the average week 1 performance. For a young guy, Mark still does a great job bringing class to a performance, and Kristi had great arm movement and finished all her moves quite well.

I also love Louis Van Amstel (my favorite since Season 1....although it's hard now because I love Mark). He is a perfectionist, and it showed tonight. Without looking at poor Priscilla's non-emoting face, I was blown away...particularly at her age. Louis can bring out the best in anyone, though, and it definitely showed tonight.

I was extremely impressed with Marlee Matlin. Honestly, had I not known who she was, I would have never known she was deaf. I really like her as an actress, and her performance was great! I liked her partner, Fabian, though. It's tough when new professional dancers come aboard. It seems hard for them to "grow" on people (like poor Brian Fortuna...who was partnered with that Shandi girl a few seasons back and was never seen again...I've met him a few times on the tour too, and not only is he hot, but very talented and sweet, and I'd like to see him come back next season). Anyway, Fabian has a great personality, and I hope he sticks around so the audience can get to know him better.

Okay, I'm too tired to go through everyone's performances, but hopefully some of you will also have some thoughts!

kstella

I like Penn's energy, even though he is kind of clunky. Adam Corolla won't be around long because I don't think he's ever going to be able to put together keeping his body loose and remembering the steps. He is going to hear about being on this show from Danny Bonaduce for the rest of the time they work together.

Monica Seles could really benefit from some ballet classes, I think. It would help her with her extension and show how to move more gracefully. Marlee Matlin was amazing. Priscilla Presley should have gone to Cher's plastic surgeon instead of Joan River's. She was a lovely older woman before, now she just looks like a scary version of her daughter.:eek:

All that aside, go women!!!! It's time for another woman to win this competition.

Belle's Mom

I've been watching the past two nights as well. Priscilla used to be SO beautiful - it's such a shame now. One of her cheeks is clearly larger than the other, and she has that "I can't move my face" look. Sad.

Yes, I think Adam will be the first male to leave, and Monica perhaps the first female. Or, the girl from Hairspray (can't recall her name).

This should be an interesting season. Much more interesting than American Idol :ROFLOL:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
i love DWTS! the ladies are definitely looking like the front-runners, at least so far. my favorites from the first week were christian for the guys and marlee and kristi for the ladies. shannon was not bad, either. Priscilla was better than expected, but it looks like she's on cold medicine all the time!! i am completely fascinated with merlee matlin, having taken some sign language and Deaf culture classes in college. she was amazing! kristi's gracefulness translated really well into heels, though i think that it would be harder to break such ingrown skating habits than to teach a complete novice. meaning, i don't necessarily think that she has an unfair advantage. the hairspray girl, though i love her because as she says, she's not a size 2, drove me NUTS with her over-the-top broadway facial expressions!!
i think that monica and adam will be the first 2 to go.

baz212

I love the Hairspray girl both for her size and her expressions. I'm a big Broadway fan so that doesn't bother me. I don't think she'll be the first one voted off because the majority of the negative comments were because her partner didn't choreograph a hard enough dance. Plus she's a plus-sized woman so a lot of plus-size women will vote for her, at least in the beginning, just for that reason.

PeoplemoverTTA

Original Poster
I don't think she'll be the first one voted off because the majority of the negative comments were because her partner didn't choreograph a hard enough dance.

I know Tony isn't the most loved pro dancer by the judges. Last year he insulted Carrie Ann with a ballroom guide to lifts after she said he did one during the show. Tony's lackluster choreography cost him the trophy in season 2. All the buzz was around Stacy Keibler, and it just deflated after their extremely boring freestyle (which didn't stand a chance to Drew and Cheryl's "Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy" number). His choreography also became very boring last season with Jane Seymour.

My guess is Tony's going to try and go the "please the audience" route. Honestly, once this thing gets rolling, there's usually only a few points separating the leaders from the bottom of the pack. My guess is he'll keep going for "crowd pleasers" (or what he thinks are crowd pleasers) to get the audience votes (which ultimately decide who goes or stays).

I don't think it'll work. While I like his partner, I don't think that among this group she has what it takes to make it to the end. Plus, while I can't read minds, I don't think that Tony is a "fan favorite" amongst his fellow pros (I could be wrong).

baz212

I know Tony isn't the most loved pro dancer by the judges. Last year he insulted Carrie Ann with a ballroom guide to lifts after she said he did one during the show. Tony's lackluster choreography cost him the trophy in season 2. All the buzz was around Stacy Keibler, and it just deflated after their extremely boring freestyle (which didn't stand a chance to Drew and Cheryl's "Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy" number). His choreography also became very boring last season with Jane Seymour.

My guess is Tony's going to try and go the "please the audience" route. Honestly, once this thing gets rolling, there's usually only a few points separating the leaders from the bottom of the pack. My guess is he'll keep going for "crowd pleasers" (or what he thinks are crowd pleasers) to get the audience votes (which ultimately decide who goes or stays).

I don't think it'll work. While I like his partner, I don't think that among this group she has what it takes to make it to the end. Plus, while I can't read minds, I don't think that Tony is a "fan favorite" amongst his fellow pros (I could be wrong).
You make some good points. I'm reserving judgement on who will make it to the end. Her role in Hairspray actually required a lot of dancing, so we'll see, but I just don't think she will get voted off this first week. Probably not the second week either unless some of the guys get amazingly good in the interim.

PeoplemoverTTA

Original Poster
I was out of town last week and couldn't post, but I definitely wanted to chime in about this week.

I'll admit it, I'm upset the Gute went home. He was just so genuine and sweet...while I usually don't like the "amusing" contestants, who usually stay well past their due, I wanted the Gute around a bit longer.

Some thoughts:

My favorite this week was actually Shannon and Derek. I think that their performance was the most daring (by far), and she really nailed it. It's hard for her with her long legs (like it was in the beginning for Stacy Keibler), but she's doing really well, especially for this early on in the competition. I was very surprised Derek was there tonight, as media outlets reported he sprained his neck after the show last night (rehearsing for the group number) and went to the hospital. I hope he's okay.

Here's a problem I'm having this season...each season (since Season 1...can't believe I've been watching this whole time) I tend to become "invested" in contestants for one reason or another. Last season it was Mark and Sabrina (although I knew nothing about either one...I just felt from the first episode that they were the best and were going to win). This season, I'm not feeling "invested" in the contestants I thought I would.

Louis is my favorite pro. He is so sweet in person, and I love his perfectionism and fire on the dance floor (I totally wanted him and Lisa Rinna to play spoiler). Yet, I don't feel there's any real emotion on the dance floor with Priscilla (I feel so bad saying this, but I think it may literally be tied to her inability to display emotion on her face...I don't mean to be cruel, but I honestly think that's it).

Same thing with Mark. I was more devastated than I should be by a reality show last season when him and Sabrina were sent home so early. I met him in January on the tour, and he was so sweet...that was it, I was going to root for him (and Louis, equally :eek:).

Yet, while I love him and root for him, I'm not feeling a "connection" with him and Kristi as a team. I think Carrie Ann was right on the mark with her comments yesterday. Kristi is such a perfectionist, she is focusing solely on the moves and pinpoint accuracy on the dance floor. She's not emoting at all during the dance, and is coming across as a bit cold to me. I think that's what's keeping me from being totally "for" them. I am really surprised that this early on, I'm really rooting for Derek and Shannon.

Oh, and the clip with the faux-hobbies was hilarious. I immediately turned to my sister while Jason Taylor was painting tiny boats and said, "That has to be an April Fool's joke." Their clips have been so amusing (Kenny Mayne last season with the fake tan, talking about Marie Osmond and her "75 kids," and Jane Seymour being "105 years old" was classic).

I'm exhausted, but I have to get out my feelings about Adam Carolla. I'm sorry, but he's an idiot. How can he still be here? His comments are so inappropriate and just plain rude. I am no prude, but give me a break. Last week he picked on a teenager from the Jonas Brothers. This week he picks on Mormons and gay people (unbelievably rude and....just unbelievable). Plus, on top of it, he is a horrible dancer. He should have gone way before the Gute.

Speaking of the Gute, he really is a class act. After Adam insulted the costume designers for the show (seriously, how rude can you be), the Gute makes sure to not only talk about what great people they are on the show, but he takes them out to lunch? That is very classy, and just plain sweet. The Gute needs a comeback..."Three Men and a Little ANYTHING," Tower of Terror II, Police Academy 79 - bring back the Gute :D.

Shere_Khan

I know Tony isn't the most loved pro dancer by the judges.

I really enjoy Tony as a person. He seems like he is very sweet.

My favorite this week was actually Shannon and Derek. I think that their performance was the most daring (by far), and she really nailed it.

Really? I found it to look extremely awkward. She might have done the steps correctly, but I did not think it looked nice at all.

Anyways, I really want Edyta to win this season. I absolutely love her and am thrilled that her partner is decent.

I hope that Cheryl Burke does not win again. I don't think she will. Her partner is good but not great and I don't believe he has the fan base. She just irks me for some reason. I can't explain it.

PeoplemoverTTA

Original Poster
I hope that Cheryl Burke does not win again. I don't think she will. Her partner is good but not great and I don't believe he has the fan base. She just irks me for some reason. I can't explain it.

I actually thought Cristian was going to go last night...what a disappointment.

As for Cheryl, I seriously do not like her. I was all gung ho for her and Drew in Season 2, but after the first tour (January 2007), my sister and I were outside, and ran into Alec and Edyta. They were genuinely surprised that we knew who they were, and talked to us for a few minutes (so nice). Cheryl came out, and Edyta went over, pointed to us and talked/smiled from what we could see. We called her name, and she turned around and walked away. Little bit offensive, but maybe there was something going on.

July 2007, next tour, every single star and dancer (except Joey Lawrence) came out to sign/pose for pictures. Cheryl was talking to some of the pros, and people called her name (not me, after the first incident). She came over, plastered on a fake smile for 1 person, and walked away (there were maybe 15 people there, most of which who were calling her name). Very snotty.

The icing on the cake was this past January. There were about 20 people outside the stage door, and she came out smiling (must have been talking to someone). Literally the moment she saw the people, her faced turned into a scowl - I couldn't believe she didn't fake a smile for the crowd...just scowled at everyone. The people who had been calling her name stopped. Two little girls went up to her for her autograph, and maybe one or two others, and everyone else ignored her (you could hear rumblings from people about how rude it was she scowled at her fans).

I hope they never pair her with a star I like, because I don't know how I would vote.

Anyway, there's my Cheryl story :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom