"DAK II Expansion"

Brer Oswald

Aladdin, really?

I was always under the impression most people considered it the "worst" of the four ("worst" in quotations because nobody who likes those films thinks it's bad). I absolutely loved all four of those films and watched them repeatedly as a kid, but I would have probably ranked them Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Little Mermaid, Aladdin.

As I said, I still really liked Aladdin, but I've always thought of that movie as basically just Robin Williams. He's fantastic but he's essentially the whole movie.
Yeah. I always hear Aladdin (or BatB) coupled with Lion King. Mermaid seems to be the least popular of the four with who I’ve talked to.

UNCgolf

Yeah. I always hear Aladdin (or BatB) coupled with Lion King. Mermaid seems to be the least popular of the four with who I’ve talked to.

Interesting. I definitely know more people who like Little Mermaid the most out of the four than people who like it the least.

Also, I wonder how many people realize now that those four movies didn't come out successively (I'm sure most people here do). Rescuers Down Under was released between LM and BatB and has been completely forgotten despite being a good film in its own right. It didn't do well at the box office because it was released on the same day as Home Alone. Not sure if Disney didn't realize Home Alone was going to be a runaway smash hit or if they just weren't sold on Rescuers Down Under and so didn't really care.

It would also be a good fit if they ever decided to add Australia since it had several Australian animals as characters, but A. I don't see them ever adding more animals to the park in general, much less a whole new themed area and B. I'm sure they would never even consider using a movie that's so completely out of the public consciousness.

Last edited:

J4546

fix kali river rapids and make it a world class e ticket river rapids with shanghai pirates tech. maybe put jungle book characters in it as well, not a full on jungle book ride but have them pop up and narrate whats going on/what your seeing.

Brer Oswald

It also doesn't hurt that they're darn good movies. But I know what you mean within the context of your post.
I think they’re both okay, but that might just be me “growing out of” animated films. Most of the ones I seem to go back to are the Classics that I have nostalgia for, or, again, the Classics, but the ones that are considered remarkable pieces of animation that have stood the test of time.

Few have plots and themes that hold my interest.

sullyinMT

It also doesn't hurt that they're darn good movies. But I know what you mean within the context of your post.
Coco is the only movie that repeatedly makes me cry. I know what’s coming and still ...

It’s inclusion in the Mexico pavilion is natural and helps people tie the actual cultural significance to the themes of the movie. It’s what an IP overlay or inclusion should be until a movie or franchise has paid their respects and stayed relevant long enough to make a larger presence “pay off.” I wish Disney wouldn’t have pushed Pooh out of the UK, because it offers parents the opportunity on vacation to discuss Milne’s fascinating background and illustrate their larger impact on children’s literature and Disney’s early storytelling.

I guess my larger point is not every major or majorly successful IP needs a whole land or even attraction to have a significant presence in the parks for the time it remains relevant.

Parker in NYC

I think they’re both okay, but that might just be me “growing out of” animated films. Most of the ones I seem to go back to are the Classics that I have nostalgia for, or, again, the Classics, but the ones that are considered remarkable pieces of animation that have stood the test of time.

Few have plots and themes that hold my interest.
Oh, I completely agree with you there. I mostly surround myself with the classics but the nieces and nephews have had an immeasurable impact on my entertainment choices.

sullyinMT

fix kali river rapids and make it a world class e ticket river rapids with shanghai pirates tech. maybe put jungle book characters in it as well, not a full on jungle book ride but have them pop up and narrate whats going on/what your seeing.
Interesting thought! As long as it was the newer adaptation and not the cartoon representation (as much as I love the “original” Baloo & the gang), the overall theme ties in with its continental location. Kali’s queue is so good, and then the ride itself is just, imo, meh.

SamusAranX

Brer Oswald

You say that, but I think we all know how this goes

Not trying to derail the thread though. Would be happy to discuss via pm
Unlike the other examples of “offensive” Disney material, you’re always going to have plausible deniability for the Jungle Book monkeys. There’s no real evidence that they are representing anything. Anything more is an assumption by the audience.

And even if, by some stretch of the imagination, they were able to find documented proof that they were in fact intended to be these ridiculous stereotypes, it’s just one scene. They can cut that out. It doesn’t have to make it into the ride.

UNCgolf

Unlike the other examples of “offensive” Disney material, you’re always going to have plausible deniability for the Jungle Book monkeys. There’s no real evidence that they are representing anything. Anything more is an assumption by the audience.

And even if, by some stretch of the imagination, they were able to find documented proof that they were in fact intended to be these ridiculous stereotypes, it’s just one scene. They can cut that out. It doesn’t have to make it into the ride.

This is the point I was making earlier. As far as I know, that's the only scene anyone has pointed to as potentially problematic, and it would be easy to excise from any ride or attraction if they were worried about it.

The only other stumbling block I can think of is Rudyard Kipling himself, but as I said, it's pretty unlikely anyone (or at least any significant number of people) would raise a stink about an author who can no longer benefit financially from the work if the work itself is not at issue.

Last edited:

SamusAranX

This is the point I was making earlier. As far as I know, that's really the only scene any has pointed to as potentially problematic, and it would be easy to excise from any ride or attraction if they were worried about it.

The only other stumbling block I can think of is Rudyard Kipling himself, but as I said, it's pretty unlikely anyone (or at least any significant number of people) would raise a stink about an author who can no longer benefit financially from the work.
You would think, but the SFWA has done otherwise.

Sorry I am a bit cynical lol. Objections like that aside, I just want an original land/attraction god dang it. I would die happy if Beastly Kingdom became a reality

_caleb

This is the point I was making earlier. As far as I know, that's the only scene anyone has pointed to as potentially problematic, and it would be easy to excise from any ride or attraction if they were worried about it.

The only other stumbling block I can think of is Rudyard Kipling himself, but as I said, it's pretty unlikely anyone (or at least any significant number of people) would raise a stink about an author who can no longer benefit financially from the work if the work itself is not at issue.
Not to push too far down the rabbit trail, but the Jungle Book has also received criticism for racial coding of all the animal characters and the “you should stay with your own kind” theme.

I’m not interested in a debate about this here, just wanted to show that it might not be as simple as the monkey scene.

UNCgolf

Not to push too far down the rabbit trail, but the Jungle Book has also received criticism for racial coding of all the animal characters and the “you should stay with your own kind” theme.

I’m not interested in a debate about this here, just wanted to show that it might not be as simple as the monkey scene.

I'd read about the racial coding before, but only in the context of King Louie and the monkeys. Hadn't seen it applied to other animals.

Brer Oswald

We’re talking humans and animals here. Not people of different skin color.

I understand that we love to theory craft and look for hidden meaning, but I find it very odd that we consider these the definitive interpretation of a creator’s intent. It’s still a kids film. Things rarely are that deep.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

I Wanna be Like You: Racial Coding in Disney’s The Jungle Book | The Prolongation of Work • F17.1
I know you're not endorsing the opinion of that article, but, I just wanna say that as a proud SJW and someone acutely aware of conscious and unconscious prejudice, that article is horse pucky. Yes, there are overtones with King Louie and... *jazz*!! as a presentation of an African-American genre. But, Mowgli has other antagonists which have nothing to do with race. Louie isn't presented as being any more sinister than the tiger or snake (both of whom are way more sinister).

Not to mention the Beatles-stand-in of buzzards... is Jungle Book anti-British?!

And ignoring the role of a *black* panther as a mentor and protector is a pretty big tell that the author of that screed had no intention of being fair-minded.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Add me to the fans who’d love if DAK added an entirely new “land” themed to Australia, Europe, East Asia, whatever. More animals, themed walkthrough trails, and realistic placemaking would be awesome!
How about a 'land' that isn't a jungle?

Or, if the park is still going to be Disney Jungle Kingdom, then South America is next in line. If only there was a Disney IP in which the protagonist had an adventure in South America...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom