"DAK II Expansion"

brb1006

If they want an animal IP with longevity, Lion King is still available for a ride. How they have yet to build a major attraction for what is widely regarded as their best film (it isnā€™t) is beyond me.
Bambi is very underrepresented and underutilised at the Disney parks with Thumper and Miss Bunny being the only characters representing the film (outside of the Epcot Flower and Garden Festival). Animal Kingdom would be a perfect fit. Heck, bring back Flower the Skunk as a meetable character.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Bambi is very underrepresented at the parks.

So is the Jungle Book, which could go in at the Animal Kingdom as an IP that actually fits the theme of the park (more or less) even easier than Bambi -- mainly because the whole park is themed around Asia/Africa right now and doesn't have anything like an American (or European, if going for the source material) forest.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
wrong. present your opinion as such, opinion. you are not stating facts here as much as you seem to wish it to be true

i guess the Zootopia+ Disney+ show is for nobody.

If Zootopia is as popular as you believe it is, why has it not been given a larger presence in the parks already? You believe itā€™s popular. Popular = money maker, right? TWDC loves for the parks to be making money, so why hasnā€™t something even been proposed to be added anywhere stateside already? šŸ¤”

SamusAranX

So is the Jungle Book, which could go in at the Animal Kingdom as an IP that actually fits the theme of the park (more or less) even easier than Bambi -- mainly because the whole park is themed around Asia/Africa right now and doesn't have anything like an American (or European, if going for the source material
hard pass to Jungle Book. It would eventually fall victim to the SM effect

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If Zootopia is as popular as you believe it is, why has it not been given a larger presence in the parks already? You believe itā€™s popular. Popular = money maker, right? TWDC loves for the parks to be making money, so why hasnā€™t something even been proposed to be added anywhere stateside already? šŸ¤”
Zootopia has a rating of 97% critics' 'thumbs up' on Rotten Tomatoes. The average critics' score from RT and Metacritic is 79.

The average audience score from RT and IMDB is 82. It's CinemaScore was A-.

Those are very good scores.

Zootopia's B.O. was $1 Billion.

Zootopia has had, in the domestic parks M&G, presence in parades, and appear in HEA. Zootopia now has a mini-land with attraction at Shanghai Disneyland. Our insiders have told us that some sort to Zootopia attraction has gotten consideration for the domestic parks. Zootopia is getting a series on Disney+.

It is undeniably popular.

It is undeniably being leveraged by Disney as part of their brand.

Disney can't materialize every popular IP into the parks at will. They have so many good IP and only so much space in the parks. And not all IPs that are very popular are easily translated into a theme park ride or attraction.

Think back to 2016 when Doctor Strange and Civil War hit the theaters. At that time, there were no Marvel attractions in any park. Could you have used that as proof that the MCU isn't popular?

FigmentFan82

lol, cuz Disney moves about as fast as molasses and there are constantly tons of competing ideas and agendas change all the time and money is finite.

your base argument that Zooptopia is garbage that nobody likes is soundly untrue. as to why something has not been developed further with the property (other than spending lots of money to animate a brand new Disney+ show) I havent the foggiest, nor did I make some speculation that they're leaving money on the table by not exploiting the IP in the parks more.

And who knows what goes on inside the heads of the people making these decisions??? They evidently didn't realize they could exploit the Disney Princesses with a huge line of merch until like 2008

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Zootopia has a rating of 97% critics' 'thumbs up' on Rotten Tomatoes. The average critics' score from RT and Metacritic is 79.

Zootopia has had, in the domestic parks M&G, presence in parades, and appear in HEA. Zootopia now has a mini-land with attraction at Shanghai Disneyland. Our insiders have told us that some sort to Zootopia attraction has gotten consideration for the domestic parks. Zootopia is getting a series on Disney+.

Disney can't materialize every popular IP into the parks at will. They have so many good IP and only so much space in the parks. And not all IPs that are very popular are easily translated into a theme park ride or attraction.

Think back to 2016 when Doctor Strange and Civil War hit the theaters. At that time, there were no Marvel attractions in any park. Could you have used that as proof that the MCU isn't popular?

I actually like to concept or zootopia if they must shove IP in there.

Beware of BO though as an indicator. Sometimes truly awful movies have bigger Box Office šŸ˜‰

J4546

id much rather have a beastly kingdoms expansion than zootopia, Even better Id rather them fix the broken stuff at Ak before adding anything. But oh wells.

Brer Oswald

Theyā€™ve been strangling the crap out of the lion king since 1994...

...itā€™s honestly not even that great of a movie
Iā€™ve always maintained the belief that itā€™s overrated. I think the big 4 of the Disney renaissance are all overrated. But people love the crap out of those films, especially Lion King and Aladdin. Which is why Iā€™m so surprised that they only use them for live entertainment, while the big attractions are saved for the ā€œflavour of the monthā€ new Disney properties.

I suppose itā€™s reflective of the era. In the 90s, they didnā€™t commit to many major attractions for the new films in case any of them ended up as fads. Now, theyā€™re incredibly trigger happy, even if the films lose relevance before they even break ground!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
id much rather have a beastly kingdoms expansion than zootopia, Even better Id rather them fix the broken stuff at Ak before adding anything. But oh wells.

Thatā€™s never happening...never no how. Itā€™s the sacred cow of all Disney fan sites

More of a chance they capture an actual Yeti and put it in a cage in there

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
1. Aladdin
2. BATB
3. mermaid
4. Lion king

The reason they are revered isnā€™t their earth shattering stories...but the technical advances and revolution of Disney into the modern juggernaut it is while they were made.

NO...Iger isnā€™t responsible for that. Heā€™s surfing the end of the wave...he didnā€™t get up over the board on it

Dizmentia

I could see Raya and the Last Dragon being put into Asia at AK. It almost looks like they designed it for that.

Attachments

• raya.jpg
    raya.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 62

Brer Oswald

Thereā€™s no denying that it was a major success. But itā€™s also worth noting the circumstances. After Frozen, Disney and Pixar movies started cracking the tops of the all time charts. Inside Out did well. Zootopia topped that. Then Dory topped that. Then Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4 topped that. Coco and Moana fall a bit brown these, but they still did pretty well. Ironically enough, the only ones to beat the original Frozen are its sequel, as well as the ā€œnot so live action completely CG Animatedā€ Lion King remake.

RT scores are similar. Zootopia has 98, and so does Inside Out. Coco and Toy Story 4 97. Most of the other films I listed fall within the 90s.

To put it short, a new Disney film being popular doesnā€™t mean it should be added to the parks in a significant way because, well, theyā€™ve all been undeniably popular as of late. Frozen reinvigorated interest in the Disney Animation brand, and by virtue of them all being at least decent, theyā€™ve all been amazing successes. But I donā€™t think they all have the longevity to remain relevant.

Toy Story has proven its status. Frozen as well. Incredibles has always been popular, and it should have more than a cheap coaster overlay. Zootopia and Inside Out were the ones that fizzled the fastest. Moana and Coco have cultural representation to keep them relevant, and their characters are role models for children. The only time I hear Zootopia come up in conversation with Disney Casuals is in regards to furries, and I never hear anyone talk about Inside Out anymore unless I bring it up into conversation.

I donā€™t think Zootopia is coming to Florida. You donā€™t seem to neither. But I just wanted to explain my thoughts on the popularity debate.

Zootopia was very popular when it came out, but I donā€™t think it held that momentum. Moana, despite performing worse, turned out as the long term winner as far as I can see. Which is why I think Disney should wait awhile before committing to a new IP in the parks.

The Grand Inquisitor

So is the Jungle Book, which could go in at the Animal Kingdom as an IP that actually fits the theme of the park (more or less) even easier than Bambi -- mainly because the whole park is themed around Asia/Africa right now and doesn't have anything like an American (or European, if going for the source material) forest.
Plus there's been the rumor for a couple of years about the Jungle Book boat ride going to Epcot or AK.

UNCgolf

hard pass to Jungle Book. It would eventually fall victim to the SM effect

Possibly, but not necessarily. It wouldn't be that difficult to make a Jungle Book attraction that's devoid of anything potentially offensive.

Splash Mountain is unfortunately but inextricably tied to racist source material -- the Jungle Book itself doesn't really have that issue. Kipling himself may be considered problematic, but he's also been dead for almost 100 years, as opposed to someone like JK Rowling who is drawing fire for her current and actively expressed opinions. And that still doesn't seem to be hindering any of the HP stuff at Universal.

Beyond that, there didn't seem to be much if any expressed issues with the recent live action Jungle Book adaptations, at least to my knowledge.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Iā€™ve always maintained the belief that itā€™s overrated. I think the big 4 of the Disney renaissance are all overrated. But people love the crap out of those films, especially Lion King and Aladdin. Which is why Iā€™m so surprised that they only use them for live entertainment, while the big attractions are saved for the ā€œflavour of the monthā€ new Disney properties.

I suppose itā€™s reflective of the era. In the 90s, they didnā€™t commit to many major attractions for the new films in case any of them ended up as fads. Now, theyā€™re incredibly trigger happy, even if the films lose relevance before they even break ground!

Aladdin, really?

I was always under the impression most people considered it the "worst" of the four ("worst" in quotations because nobody who likes those films thinks it's bad). I absolutely loved all four of those films and watched them repeatedly as a kid, but I would have probably ranked them Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Little Mermaid, Aladdin.

As I said, I still really liked Aladdin, but I've always thought of that movie as basically just Robin Williams. He's fantastic but he's essentially the whole movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom