DAK Club33 (former Lion King dark ride thread)

DisneyDodo

Not ever park is or needs to be the magic kingdom. AK does not need MK style dark rides.
Nobody is suggesting turning AK into an MK clone, nor would adding a dark ride accomplish that. MK does not have a monopoly on dark rides, or any other type of attraction, for that matter. EE didn't transform AK into MK, just because MK already had an outdoor mountain coaster in BTMM. NRJ uses a boat system just like IASW and POTC, but the parks remain distinct. TS is literally just Dumbo with a different animal, yet its introduction to AK didn't render MK redundant. Adding a dark ride based on the LK will not morph AK into MK, but it would give AK some of the appeal that MK enjoys.
This post isn't meant to roast AK, which has a lot of positives, but that doesn't mean AK couldn't benefit from borrowing a page from the book of the most popular theme park in the world.

Last edited:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Not ever park is or needs to be the magic kingdom. AK does not need MK style dark rides.

Completely disagree...AK has been lacking experiences that are calm and indoors, which is important during Florida's severe weather changes.

Does having a 3D movie in the park indicate that it's an "MK style" 3D movie? What about Epcot's dark rides? Most Disney parks have similar dark rides to MK's, so I don't see why DAK should be the exception.

I also think that a lot of people were disappointed when DAK first opened, not just because there was a lack of things to do, but also a lack of things that people came to expect from Disney parks...such as a large variety of types of experiences, for all ages.

Tom Morrow

The reason why Zootopia is inappropriate for Disney’s Animal Kingdom also applies rather well to The Lion King. That the film is very similar to Hamlet is not some shocking claim, and I think it would be hard to find any serious examination of the play that identifies the power and importance of nature as a theme. Yes, the film does add the Circle of Life concept, but it does not really have much purpose other than giving Simba a claim to the thrown that is not entirely based on primogeniture.
The Lion King, A Bug's Life, and Nemo at least portray real animals in our world. They can talk, but hey. Zootopia portrays anthropomorphic people-animals in a fictional universe. And yes, obviously this is similar to Mickey and the gang, but they act more as ambassadors for WDW as a whole.

Ismael Flores

wouldn’t it seem kind of strange to have a lion king ride next to a lion king festival show?

I would think that it would be a smarter idea to add a dark ride on the opposite side of the park and make it a jungle book dark ride since they are working on a sequel for the jungle book

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Zootopia discussion here, please...

The site which we can't link to has reported this rumor. It doesn't site any sources but
The basic summary is that a zootopia land may be built where Rafiki Planet Watch is right now.

I did not see a thread on it but wanted to gauge the accuracy or validity to the rumour. Is this somthing they are considering so close on the heels of the Pandora expansion at DAK?

This is about the Lion King rumor.

(Which is probably about Club 33 finally getting build in DAK.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom