D23: The D stands for Disappointing (Updated)

Rich T

Y'all are talking about Disney Vloggers as though they're celebrities. They're just people that record themselves going to theme parks.
I'd like to put in a plug, however, for Theme Park Worldwide. He's a British vlogger who travels sometimes solo, sometimes with his girlfriend and/or a buddy to theme parks... um, worldwide. Very down to earth, very low-key, and full of honest opinions and appreciation for history. He takes viewers on tours of nearly every park in Europe, including many smaller, out of the way parks no one in the U.S. knows about. Lately, they've been traveling abroad to Asia and the U.S. He and a friend took a 2019 summer road trip across America, hitting 20 major non-Disney parks in rapid succession while driving cross country. The fun part is they chronicled everything that happened, both the good and bad and admitting that they'd bitten off more than they could chew. (Best day was at Silver Dollar City, while Kings Island gave them the worst theme park experience of their lives for several reasons including some pretty awful cast members.)

All good fun and super-informative. Because of the TPW vlog, I've added Efteling, Europa Park, Phantasialand, Paultons Park, Parc Asterix and Toverland to my bucket list. :)

Rich T

I really can't understand why they would even consider making a Spiderman ride when UO already has a stellar iconic Spiderman ride. No matter what people will compare them and it does not seem like this ride will be better. As soon as they said spiderbots I was out. Just seems dull. Hopefully I will be surprised.
I'm trying to envision the process:
"We'll beat Universal at their own game! We'll build a BETTER Spider man!
"Yeah!"
"And we'll build it CHEAPER!"
"Yeah!"
"And make it INTERACTIVE!"
"Yeah!"
"And people will eat it up because they LOVE DISNEYMARVELMAGIC!"
"Yeah!"
"And most Californians never go to Florida anyway, so they'll never compare the two rides!"
"Yeah!"

TP2000

I was trying to move on with life after the disappointment of this recent D23 Expo, the most boringly corporate one they've ever had, but YouTube keeps recommending videos for me to watch darnit. And this one just seems to sum up the weekend perfectly.

It's a 7 minute intro speech by Mr. Chapek from the media preview on Thursday evening, as he stands in front of the WDI Pavilion.

Whoever is styling him for these events is doing a fine job (Mrs. Chapek?), but whoever is writing his scripts is either clueless or in on the joke.

I just love that his scriptwriters refuse to surrender the word "immersive" and they can get this boring and corporate empty suit to use nonsense phrases like "More Disney, more family, more relevant" with a straight face. And then Mr. Chapek twists the knife by actually saying at the 2:20 mark "Walt said Disneyland would never be completed, as long as there was imagination left in the world." If that scriptwriter is in on the joke and is just getting him to say stupid crap to send us a sign he's a Cyborg, the scriptwriter deserves a free drink!

Not only was this the most boring D23 Expo overall, but they really seem to have slashed the budget on the WDI Pavilion. For the first four or five Expos the WDI Pavilion was literally an attraction, with lobbies and musical pre-show theaters and seemingly endless displays of technology and new ideas. Now it's just a basic static display of previous artwork, existing vehicles, vague aerial shots, and manequins wearing ride operator uniforms. What a massive downgrade from what this pavilion had been for the first four Expos! :oops:

Last edited:

thenerdbaker

I was trying to move on with life after the disappointment of this recent D23 Expo, the most boring and corporate one they've ever had, but YouTube keeps recommending videos for me to watch darnit. And this one just seems to sum up the weekend perfectly.

It's a 7 minute intro speech by Mr. Chapek from the media preview on Thursday evening, as he stands in front of the WDI Pavilion.

Whoever is styling him for these events is doing a fine job, but whoever is writing his scripts is either clueless or in on the joke.

I just love that the scriptwriters refuse to surrender the word "Immersive" and they can get this boring corporate suit to use phrases like "More Disney, more family, more relevant" with a straight face.

Not only was this the most boring D23 Expo overall, but they really seem to have slashed the budget on the WDI Pavilion. For the first four or five Expos the WDI Pavilion was literally an attraction, with lobbies and musical pre-shows and seemingly endless displays of technology and new ideas. Now it's just a basic static display of previous artwork, existing vehicles, vague aerial shots, and manequins wearing ride operator uniforms. What a massive downgrade from what this pavilion had been for the first four Expos! :oops:

Maybe they realize people will spend the money to come no matter how much effort is actually put in? Sad if it's true and kind of seems to be the company way right now.

George Lucas on a Bench

Original Poster
I'm kinda shocked they are "reimagining" Epcot and altering the golf ball ride. Also, a Mary Poppins ride in the country section. What in tarnation??

It's a transformation the park has desperately needed for decades. I'm old enough to have gone to boring Epcot Center and remember how boring it was and how there were never any lines until they opened Test Track (Then there was one line). When they opened Soarin', there were two lines. Two extremely long lines.

There are admittedly some good ideas there. More greenery, for instance. Epcot is a massive open area of concrete that's just brutal to be in.

Figments Friend

So when is Disney going to announce as part of their unprecedented partnership with Target: MILLENNIUM FALCON TARGET RUN PRESENTED BY TARGET will be coming to both Disneyland and right here to the Walt Disney World Resort?

Ah ha!!
This proves once and for all that TP works for Disney!

He foreshadowed the Target / Disney partnership months before the D23 Expo announcement when he starting calling 'Smuggles Run' TARGET RUN!

Yes, yes!
It all makes sense now!!

😆

-

planodisney

The only good superhero film is the 1978 Superman. No CGI, fun performances, doesn't take itself too seriously yet still has a heart. (Waves angry old man cane in air) Now it's all just computer graphics and animated explosions!
Still the best superhero movie of all time!!
Also, sorry Marvel, the greatest super hero.

planodisney

"Spider-bots" is a huge red flag for me. If this turns out like that awful Ant Man ride in Hong Kong.... Borrrrrrringgggggg.
Obviously the emphasis on this ride is “FAMILY” attraction. Chapek even mentioned family ride when talked about it. They don’t really need 2 rides within 50 yards of each other where you’re battling monsters and aliens on both. Avengers will be the thrill ride. The tech, production value, “feel factor and fun factor will be what makes or brakes this ride. The emphasis on this ride is FUN, not intensity. Those rides will be 50 yards down the avenue and both to the left and right.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Obviously the emphasis on this ride is “FAMILY” attraction. Chapek even mentioned family ride when talked about it. They don’t really need 2 rides within 50 yards of each other where you’re battling monsters and aliens on both. Avengers will be the thrill ride. The tech, production value, “feel factor and fun factor will be what makes or brakes this ride. The emphasis on this ride is FUN, not intensity. Those rides will be 50 yards down the avenue and both to the left and right.
Good point, DCA lacks in a lot of "family" attractions. Well it lacks in a lot of attractions period. But this project should hit two boxes, adding a family attraction and adding a thrill attraction.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

It depends on how you want to define family friendly....

Plus those characters haven't been introduced into the MCU, at least not yet.
Then it was a dumb idea for them to make a Spider-Man ride if it wont include some classic villians. Hell, they could have used Vulture and Mysterio and his countless drones from the movie just released instead of "spider bots that go CRAZZZZY!! OH NO!!!"

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Then it was a dumb idea for them to make a Spider-Man ride if it wont include some classic villians. Hell, they could have used Vulture and Mysterio and his countless drones from the movie just released instead of "spider bots that go CRAZZZZY!! OH NO!!!"
While I don't disagree it should include classic Spidey villains. I'm sure Disney wants to keep the human-on-human fighting to a minimum in their attractions, hence the bots.

Snow Queen

It depends on how you want to define family friendly....

Plus those characters haven't been introduced into the MCU, at least not yet.
They haven't introduced them and now
tenor.gif

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

While I don't disagree it should include classic Spidey villains. I'm sure Disney wants to keep the human-on-human fighting to a minimum in their attractions, hence the bots.
Well then that is a MAJOR MISTAKE and shows they don't understand Spider-Man or why people want to go on a Spider-Man ride. Spider-Man is a super hero with a great rogues gallery. universal understood this and made not only a great Spider-Man similator ride, but one of the BEST similator,dark rides, and overall rides of all time. The Spider-Man ride has gotten many legit outstanding critical reviews and has won actual awards. so when THAT is your competition, that is the bar you have to reach. HAVE TO. No one wants to chase Spider -Bots, we wana help Spidey fight Doc Ock, and Green Goblin.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Toad is considered family-friendly and riders are sent to hell at the end of the attraction after dying in a train accident.

Those spider bots (or whatever) come off as boring and lame AF, and being family-friendly has nothing to do with that.
Except with Toad its not as overtly obvious compared to Spidey shooting web or punching a bad guy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom