News D23 Expo 2022

V_L_Raptor

What are they committed to implementing?

Philosophically or logistically? I mean, there have been tons of projects they've been "committed" to completing that got stuffed one way or another. Even a notion of committing is kind of useless at this point. It's more like D23 is laying out the board for a huge game of cowpie bingo, and everyone's waiting for the cow to drop a... well, project.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Not exactly shining examples of Disney’s finest, outside of Rise and the visual depth in GE. Don’t forget he also greenlit DE, KiteTails, and allegedly came up with the base idea for HARModious.
Understood, but sort of beside the point that I'm making. I'm not saying that Bob Chapek is a creative genius, only that his time as Parks chairman showed a willingness to invest. I'm not judging whether that stuff is actually any good, I'm just pointing out that he was willing to pay for it. (And I forgot to mention Runaway Railway.)

lazyboy97o

Understood, but sort of beside the point that I'm making. I'm not saying that Bob Chapek is a creative genius, only that his time as Parks chairman showed a willingness to invest. I'm not judging whether that stuff is actually any good, I'm just pointing out that he was willing to pay for it. (And I forgot to mention Runaway Railway.)
But you’re giving him credit for things that were not his decision. Galaxy’s Edge was a directive from Iger but Chapek was involved in cutting the ongoing operating costs. There’s almost no chance that Toy Story Land was able to be pushed through Blue Sky, Concept Design and Feasibility in the few months between Chapek getting the job and the announcement at D23. Even Evolving Epcot had huge sums dedicated to Iger playing architecture patron, which Chapek fully abandoned once Iger was completely out the door.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
But you’re giving him credit for things that were not his decision. Galaxy’s Edge was a directive from Iger but Chapek was involved in cutting the ongoing operating costs. There’s almost no chance that Toy Story Land was able to be pushed through Blue Sky, Concept Design and Feasibility in the few months between Chapek getting the job and the announcement at D23. Even Evolving Epcot had huge sums dedicated to Iger playing architecture patron, which Chapek fully abandoned once Iger was completely out the door.
Again, I'm not saying he's amazing. I'm saying it's too soon to know because COVID.

Phicinfan

A Harry Potter fan who goes to Universal because they have Harry Potter was never going to go to Disney.

People do NOT say "I'm going to go to Central Florida for a theme park vacation, but I need to decide whether to go to Walt Disney World or Universal Orlando Resort." That's not how the decision making flows.
Not sure I fully agree with that. Some do have to decide Disney vs. Universal, unless they plan off site stay and going to both, which I have done with my family in the past

DisneyDodo

Does the Parks chairman have control over how much money is invested in the parks? Or is the budget given to him, and he then decides how to invest that money?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Does the Parks chairman have control over how much money is invested in the parks? Or is the budget given to him, and he then decides how to invest that money?
Both. He doesn't have unilateral control, and projects over a certain dollar amount would likely need CFO, CEO, and Board approval, but I would imagine Parks prepares their own capital plan and then presents it to Corporate for approval.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom