News D23 Expo 2019

Gringrinngghost

Right now. You're 100% correct. But I don't think Uni is quite done. New land, new park, - don't forget they bid on Fox too. A lot can happen over the course of a few years/decade. There will be acquisitions made by both companies. TSL underwhelmed. We'll see the response SWGE gets. Uni is not going to throw an expo and draw 100,000. But could they throw one and get 20,000? I think they might be able to.
Disney buys their IP for the parks. Uni merely licenses it

Kman101

Furthering the OCCC point. What happens if Comcast/Universal come to the realization that, hey: We got a Studio, we got a streaming service, and we got a theme park that's eating up chunks of land in Orlando. Including one park that backs up to OCCC. We're gonna start putting on an expo too. And we're going to do it in Orlando around the same time Disney does theirs in California.

And sure...you may only get 10-20,000 people in year 1. But maybe by year 5 you're at 80,000.

In case nobody has realized - Universal is making a play for Orlando.

There's plenty of room for both Disney and Universal in Orlando ;) They still target different demographics. An out of touch executive making haha universe is bigger jokes doesn't really mean "making a play" (they see the potential growth possibilities). They're just getting on the level Disney has long been at in terms of being a week-long destination and not just "well let's tag on a day or two at Universal" at the end of a Disney/Orlando vacation. It's about time, too. It's definitely a competition but not the one fans seem to want or think it is, lol.

But yeah, I do agree Universal could one day decide to do a convention and they have a convention center right down the street ...

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
But yeah, I do agree Universal could one day decide to do a convention and they have a convention center right down the street ...

And that's the point. Uni's new park is backing up to the OCCC. They will go after the conventioneer crowd hard. The same crowd that is in the market for the overpriced 1 Day Disney Pass. Just because they hold a convention, it doesn't mean it will be to the size and scope of D23. And it doesn't have to be. Maybe its a fraction of the size. I'd like to see Disney start being more proactive than reactive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom