News D23 Expo 2019

Stripes

Disappointed with lack of anything we didn't already know.

But they have the EPCOT tone right. Some IP additions fit better than others, but the overall confidence in the presentation, the fonts, the labels, the neighborhood names...

They all feel like they are made by people who legitimately like EPCOT. Not embarrassed by it (which a lot of the 1990's-2000's additions felt like).
Honestly, I genuinely liked a lot of what I saw and heard today (minus the awful presentation skills). I just expected more. A lot more.

Hopefully they’re in the process of not putting as much focus on D23 and instead spreading announcements throughout the year.

RobbinsDad

To quote Peter King, here’s some things I think I think:

We’re still getting another WS pavilion. There’s just too much chatter for it not to happen. Whether it’s Brazil or something else, I believe Chapek & Co. will promote it as the final exclamation mark of the new Epcot.

JII, in any form, isn’t long for this world. When World Celebration nears its finishing touches and Moana whateveritis opens, they will announce a new attraction there. Yeah, they know the fan community will revolt, but there will be enough excitement around the new stuff that the noise won’t make it past Disney fan circles. It will be the Mr. Toad of the 21st century, but it will happen. “We will then crush the rebellion with one swift stroke.”

The SW hotel will be a hit at first. Then they’ll decide it’s too expensive to maintain for every guest. I’ll give it 6 years before the immersive space cruise experience becomes (if the keep it at all) an add-on option within a deluxe (or maybe DVC) boutique hotel.

Other than the (almost) on-site store which will certainly be popular, the Target partnership will be a dud. I don’t see it moving the merch needle enough for Disney to expand it beyond the current number of stores. They may linger on for a while but eventually they will be shut down with a whisper.

Finally on a personal note, I don’t think I’ll be visiting WDW for a while. When I get back to Orlando I’ll take that long-delayed trip to Diagon Alley and Volcano Bay, then probably try to plan a DLR trip when Marvel opens - my kids are big Marvel fans and I know they’ll love the Avengers Campus. After Epcot update phase 1 is done I’ll probably go back but I need some time away. Maybe absence will make this pirates heart grow fonder.

Last edited:

BrianLo

I'll re-iterate I enjoyed myself and would like to go back in 2021. I had really low expectations, so weaselling into panels was nice. I actually wasn't sure heading into this that I really even wanted to attend anymore.

I think the conference was bolstered this year by the addition of Disney+, it really felt like two major entertainment keynotes for the price of one (even if I only saw one). The content on Disney+ looks quite solid. I've heard some people say nothing appeals to them and that's a bit silly. The question is more whether 10+ things appeal to you to sign up. If nothing appeals to you I think you've not bothered to look through half the content coming to that platform.

I did check out the imagineering documentary panel for those who were asking. Ridiculously easy walk up at the Disney+ stage. I could have sat on the carpet about 4 rows back 2 minutes after it started. Weis and Iwerkes did a great job. She started on the documentary following the Pixar Story. A lot of content was built from 2014 with plans to also build it into a movie, but they had far too much stuff and jumped at the chance to extend it into a small series. It will focus on everything from Disneyland's opening technically through Galaxies Edge. Marty Sklar was a big reason this series is happening. Tons of archival footage and I'd expect probably a whole episode on Shanghai as the documentary sounds like it was most active during key development stages of that project. They didn't spell out the structure, but I'd anticipate an episode on Disneyland and Walt at least, definitely an episode on the Epcot/Tokyo Disney era as Iwerkes mentioned she thought that was the most fascinating and precipitous time in imagineering.

I think the bigger news was at the Disney+ versus the film keynote. I'm really happy to hear about a very solid year of original animated films. Like you all though I bet it was a bit more enticing in person missing out on some of the footage.

Overall I was satisfied with the parks panel. I've mentioned this in other threads, but this was actually a more exciting conference for Disneyland than even the notorious 2017 panel. Working memory is short, but 2013's panel was actually way worse than this years. That's actually my baseline expectation for these things, not what happened two years ago. There was all of one project in the works for WDW (Pandora) and it was so troubled they didn't even talk about it until Tokyo. Never mind not having "New Announcements", they didn't even have new details on things they were working on, because there were almost no projects upcoming for any of the parks worldwide stable enough to talk about.

Yes there were tidbits wrong with this conference. I would have restructured it slightly (probably ended with Poppins and not make a wish). Cut down the target segment. Forbidden Chapek from referring to a Target bound Disney Store as instagrammable. I know it is Parks, Resorts and Products, but Chapek needs to be aware of who the audience is. This isn't the "product" they want to hear about. Fill in the same time with pins or something equally stupid, but at least appealing to that crowd. The gift card was the apology at the end of it, at least the Target guy was charismatic.

I'm of course disappointed with the lack of Brazil - I said it before and now I'll say it again, I'm now on the it's never going to come to fruition team.

The rest of EPCOT I mostly like. I really like the Celebration plaza and especially the new pavilion's design. I'm curious what the preserved Innoventions design was going to be, because I can't imagine it looks better than this for me. Apparently they shouldn't have told anyone anything in the Imagineering Pavilion to give the keynote more meat, but I won't blame them on that. SSE sounds great to me. I am looking forward to Guardians. Of course I wish Imagination had a redo, but we all know that's a far flung proposition and announcing it now won't make that more expedient. Brazil on the other hand I expected to be halfway constructed by next D23, so if they can't get around to it now...

The UK 'attraction' was very well received by the audience. Dick being easily the most warmly welcomed event of the entire talk. I too hope the attraction is more, Chapek sure left us all with the impression it was more of a dark ride than a simple carousel. Otherwise that's one heck of a facade for a spinner.

The Epcot theme song was excellent in person.

Lighthouse point looks very nice. I actually think I'll see the Cirque show next time I'm at WDW.

------

Mickey and Minnie looks well integrated into Toontown and may be the only slight hope of an attraction we have that people uniformly warmly receive in the Disneyland board. I still don't know why they didn't save this announcement either for D23.

Of course the parade is always nice (but expected). I know it's only 3 IP displayed so far, but such better potential lineup from the usual. Please no Mermaid, Toy Story or Pan. PLEASE.

I still think ROTR looks amazing and the Avengers E-ticket looks great too. That was the one 'unexpected' item for me. Even one surprise is good enough. These later items all being particularly better received by the local crowd than 2017. D23 still plays to a primarily Anaheim focused audience (I'd wager >99% of attendees have been to Disneyland and the other <1% are perhaps going for the first time). I know WDW is the cash cow and this is a WDW site, but you can't blame the audience for sharing the disappointment when the audience actually got stuff of merit. People would probably be silly besides themselves if that parade had been for WDW and the E-ticket had been for Animal Kingdom.

------

Context is king, far more has been announced outside of D23 the last few years than has been announced at it. I know you all had an atypically good 2017 for WDW, but there is a TON of things to look forward to that will still be opening far beyond the next D23. This was not the case in 2013.

Animaniac93-98

They have a hotel that's literally based on New Orleans.

So of course Tiana's restaurant is going next to the Davy Crockett bar...

Dizknee_Phreek

Wait, why is Tiana's restaurant in a hotel with "a-frame houses"? Did anyone at Disney even watch this movie?

P.S. I know, I know. It's actually The Princess and The Frog restaurant, not Tiana's. But still, seriously?
Right?! If they had to make it IP themed, how was that the only nature based IP they could come up with? Why not Brother Bear? Granted, I've never seen that movie...I just feel like it would fit the theme better than Princess and the Frog. I'm sure there's plenty of other movies/shows they could have pulled from that would be fitting. I do get weary of them seemingly completely ignoring any characters prior to the 1990's (except the princesses, of course).

Epcot82Guy

Right?! If they had to make it IP themed, how was that the only nature based IP they could come up with? Why not Brother Bear? Granted, I've never seen that movie...I just feel like it would fit the theme better than Princess and the Frog. I'm sure there's plenty of other movies/shows they could have pulled from that would be fitting. I do get weary of them seemingly completely ignoring any characters prior to the 1990's (except the princesses, of course).

My thoughts exactly. Brother Bear... Or Pocahontas/Grandmother Willow... Or Chip and Dale... Or even Robin Hood. I've long thought Tiana's Place would be a great addition. But, it belongs at POFQ or POR. Especially given the recent food upgrades to CSR and CBR. POR/POFQ is due!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom