Good:
Tron
Rat
Guardians replacing UoE
SW hotel
New transportation at WDW
Mission Space refurb/restaurant
Future World overhaul
PtN to DCA (would rather this in DL but whatever)

Meh/Reserving judgement:
Mickey replacing GMR
Marvel land
Cars Land Halloween

Bad:
Pixar parade to DL
Pixar Pier

Can't say I'm that unhappy.

Rodan75

When you say folks exactly who are you referring to? If you mean diehard Disney enthusiasts who care about the history of the rides as well as the ride systems and are likely to post on message boards then you are correct. If you mean the average Disney visitor, who outnumber enthusiasts by a large margin, then you would be wrong.

There is a reason we are getting a Star Wars area and not a generic space opera area and ride. There is a reason Universal has built Harry Potter areas and not generic wizard areas and is looking to build a Nintendo area. IPs sell tickets. That's what the folks want.

Agreed. my point is that it is all IP, and that the Studio IP has been primarily the source of everything new at the park since the 90's.

Rodan75

Soarin' Mystic Manor, Everest, stormchaser, Grizly River Run, Dinosaur, Test Track

Okay. Some exceptions, I mentioned MM but in my original post, but there is a more recent example I forgot about, Miss Adventure Falls. (Dinosaur is a Disney movie and Test Track is technically Chevy IP that replaced GM IP that replaced park original IP. )

Doesn't change that most new things have been Studio IP since the 90's. This is not a new trend. I'm not trying to start a debate, folks are behaving like this is a 2017 trend, it isn't.

The last explosions of Parks originated IP was with DAK and DisneySea.

Gatorboy

Okay. Some exceptions, I mentioned MM but in my original post, but there is a more recent example I forgot about, Miss Adventure Falls. (Dinosaur is a Disney movie and Test Track is technically Chevy IP that replaced GM IP that replaced park original IP. )

Doesn't change that most new things have been Studio IP since the 90's. This is not a new trend. I'm not trying to start a debate, folks are behaving like this is a 2017 trend, it isn't.

The last explosions of Parks originated IP was with DAK and DisneySea.
My point is there are still new ideas that aren't IP driven and always will be. By the way Dinosaur has nothing to do with the movie other than its name. If you count corporate sponsors as IP's you might as well say all the classics were IPs. I think people worry way too much about the "invasion" of IPs. It only matters when it's forced to fit like Pixar Pier. There's nothing wrong with tie ins if it's a good product.

Smooth

Has anything been said about the entryway of Epcot? I'm wondering if the 'tombstones' might be removed to another location.

whiterhino42

I'm happy Disneyworld is getting some love but I don't do coasters so GOTG and Tron along with one of the two toy story rides I can't ride. I love Disney because it's not all about coasters so I hope that isn't changing. I am excited to try the rat. I think Mickey might be cool but shouldn't have been at the expense of another ride. I was really hoping for a stitch replacement and Brazil....I hope this is it for coasters.

Daveeeeed

I'm happy Disneyworld is getting some love but I don't do coasters so GOTG and Tron along with one of the two toy story rides I can't ride. I love Disney because it's not all about coasters so I hope that isn't changing. I am excited to try the rat. I think Mickey might be cool but shouldn't have been at the expense of another ride. I was really hoping for a stitch replacement and Brazil....I hope this is it for coasters.
I think the main reason Slinky is happening is because it is a cheap coaster, and cheap coasters are usually kiddie rides. Gotg is for EPCOT as it does not have a single coaster, and Gotg would lend itself well to one. And Tron is because the park doesn't have a thrilling coaster, and it was a pretty easy ride to clone. I agree that it is a bit coaster heavy, but I think it's just because they are playing catch-up currently.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom