News D23 Expo 2017

Mike S

I try not to use hyperbole, but today's announcements truly signals the end of original IP at Disney Parks. For better or worse, the future of Disney is LucasFilm, Marvel, Pixar, and WDS content, and any other IP they can purchase. Parks will be a reflection of studio output. Nothing will be sacred, anything can and will be modified to create synergy with studio productions. You bet I'm exited to see these new attractions and enhancements come to WDW. But we'll never see the likes of a Haunted Mansion or BTMRR or Journey Into Imagination again.
Now if only they'd make a Journey into Imagination movie...

Kman101

Very good D23 for WDW, whether you personally like what they're doing or not, a lot is happening and they're spending money.

I still LOL at the dread I see towards IPs. Give it time, a lot of these properties deserve some attention and attractions. I'm sure in time we'll get back to original home-grown IPs.

I'm really sad to lose GMR but have long come to terms with it. I was never attached to Energy but I appreciate the ride as it once was, and am sad to lose that, and I don't see how GOTG fits even though I welcome an attraction with them (hello ... DHS could have used it. GOTG and Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway no question should have been NEW builds.) But I still welcome the two new attractions. I don't mind the Disney Channel shorts Mickey being used but I do think they should have gone with the classic version. However, I think I get why they chose the current shorts version, it fits their idea of the zany attraction. IDK. It sounds like the ride will be amazing. I don't mind screens when used well. I see a lot of whining about screens.

Face it folks, love it or hate it, Marvel and Lucas ARE Disney now. It is what it is. Star Wars has been a part of the Disney family in the parks for 30 years now. Marvel will have ONE attraction in WDW. It's not taking over. It's taking over DCA ...

I'm curious to learn more details about the new Future World concept art they showed. I imagine we won't get that much greenery. Also curious about what the new Speedway will look like.

LOVE the new Space themed restaurant! Looks really cool. Is this going to be in addition to whatever replaces Electric Umbrella, meaning they'll have two restaurants in Future World? (I know there's also the restaurants in Land). Shame they still don't seem to know the Odyssey exists and could be used. Throw character dining in there, it will make money.

Love they dropped the news on the SW resort. Looks amazing. But I don't know that it's my goal to stay there. I think it's great and I LOVE SW but I can't even imagine how expensive it will be. Maybe when I'm retired in 30/40 years LOL

Glad to see the Disney Skyliner confirmed as well. Finally people can accept that we ARE getting gondolas! I'm thinking they look small and clearly won't hold tons of people. But it's not exactly great concept art.

I like how they announced a lot of things but left out tons of details. Gotta keep dropping hints over the years to market the heck out of these things. No name for Guardians ride? No real concept art for the Mickey ride? No ACTUAL DATE for Toy Story Land? "Summer"? Really? Why bother saying anything then? I think most of us here realize it's probably going to be open by Memorial Day, that seems to be their go-to lately but still ...

Poor Disneyland/DCA. They got the shaft this time. Now they know how it feels to get ignored and then get basically a crap announcement. Pixar Pier? LMAO. That's awful. Paradise Pier wasn't my favorite but LOL. At least the design seems similar in a way to Toyville in Tokyo DisneySea so maybe it won't be SO awful? This kind of thing is where I roll my eyes at IP being shoved in.

I also have to imagine they may be saving some things for comic-con, like more details on the Marvel land for DCA and maybe another tidbit about the Epcot GOTG attraction. We know it's a coaster/hybrid but why not announce that?

Glad TRON is a NEW build. Also glad to see the MK confirming their new Broadway-style theater space. I think that's a very smart investment for them as this park needs ADDED capacity not huge draws. I still think they need something in Adventureland and Stitch needs a replacement, Buzz could use a replacement ... hope they still have lots of Tomorrowland plans on the table.

Gee, guess Clickbait's Zootopia land didn't get announced ;)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm sorry, "Pixar Pier" has to be the dumbest thing out of the entire presentation. First GotG Mission: Cash Grab at DCA and now this? Did they not just spend big bucks renovating Paradise Pier into a charming boardwalk from the early 20th century? What will become of the recently redone rides like Goofy's Sky School and Silly Symphony Swings? Please tell me they aren't touching Mickey's Fun Wheel! At least I got to visit DLR in 2015 before they started making these awful decisions.

I know some people don't like the themeing (or lack of it) in this area, but I personally really like the Paradise Pier area. I am disappointed that it's becoming a Pixar themed area.

pinnacle06

wow... wasn't paying attention yesterday but looks like, at the very least, WDW is getting some cash. True it is mostly new IP based, but still is nice to see. I guess I'll be exploring other places around the world until all the additions are completed!

Figments Friend

If anyone is heading over to the Expo on this fine Sunday, be sure to see the 'Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough' panel today on the Archives Stage.

My boy Tony Baxter is going to be presenting a fine overview of that charming Attractions long history later this afternoon.

A few famous friends of his ( like...John Stamos ) are going to be in tow.....so go check it out, people!
:)

-

DAR1974

I may have some reservations about certain things, more reworkings of animated films. But overall I'm pretty excited especially the changes coming to the Parks

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Interesting that they're closing both of the "moving theater" rides at the same time (UoE and GMR)....were there any others built that I'm forgetting?

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
I like what Disney is doing relative to some of the newer IP's. It makes sense to build around SW, Pixar, Frozen, Marvel and the like.

I wonder if the "Mickey Mouse Protection Act" is starting to demand more of Disney's attention.....I'm sure it is.. ..but I'm equally as sure that they'll find a way around it.

cosmicgirl

One of the works of concept art for the Marvel hotel for Disneyland Paris has various phrases above the openings for various hallways like they are labels for where the hallways lead to. One of the hallways has the three letters "SKY" above it. Possibly this could actually be for a hallway that would have "SKYWAY" above it if we were to see it after it has been constructed. Does Disneyland Paris have anything else you guys think this might refer to besides a Skyway for the park?

http://www.slashfilm.com/disney-to-...at-marvel-and-star-wars-hotels-d23-expo-2017/
https://i1.wp.com/www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/DLPHNYL678473896.jpg

This is the current location of the bar, it's not a hallway.

DrewmanS

I try not to use hyperbole, but today's announcements truly signals the end of original IP at Disney Parks. For better or worse, the future of Disney is LucasFilm, Marvel, Pixar, and WDS content, and any other IP they can purchase. Parks will be a reflection of studio output. Nothing will be sacred, anything can and will be modified to create synergy with studio productions. You bet I'm exited to see these new attractions and enhancements come to WDW. But we'll never see the likes of a Haunted Mansion or BTMRR or Journey Into Imagination again.
While I agree with you, it's also true that the original Disneyland and Magic Kindon used much of the existing IP at the time. Even Small World and CoP were recycled rides. Today there is vastly more IP to utilize. I don't think it's bad if they combine the talents of the studios with WDI, that's how it all started. If the IP gets them in the door AND it delivers a great experience, great! Time will tell how well it comes together.

cosmicgirl

One of the works of concept art for the Marvel hotel for Disneyland Paris has various phrases above the openings for various hallways like they are labels for where the hallways lead to. One of the hallways has the three letters "SKY" above it. Possibly this could actually be for a hallway that would have "SKYWAY" above it if we were to see it after it has been constructed. Does Disneyland Paris have anything else you guys think this might refer to besides a Skyway for the park?

http://www.slashfilm.com/disney-to-...at-marvel-and-star-wars-hotels-d23-expo-2017/
https://i1.wp.com/www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/DLPHNYL678473896.jpg

Sorry for the double post but it seems I'm not allowed to edit my previous message.
What I wanted to add: it's also weird that they have separate signs for Disney Village and the parks because both those doors lead to one and the same area outside where the fountain and the ice skating rink currently are.

RobbinsDad

While I agree with you, it's also true that the original Disneyland and Magic Kindon used much of the existing IP at the time. Even Small World and CoP were recycled rides. Today there is vastly more IP to utilize. I don't think it's bad if they combine the talents of the studios with WDI, that's how it all started. If the IP gets them in the door AND it delivers a great experience, great! Time will tell how well it comes together.
True, we take what we can get. And it looks awesome.

Florida_is_hot

Had to Google the news.
What is read is pretty interesting.

I love Tron though the sequel I found a bit of a disappoint I loved it.
The new Mickey attraction to replace the Great Movie Ride... hate the see the Great Movie Ride go but the replacement sounds entertaining.
Guardians of the Galaxy, great movie but does it really fit where it is going.
I am guessing the Rat ... attraction will be in France ?

The Star Wars Hotel may good .... but I am not going to play dress up.
The rumors before D23 mentioned maybe a new country to bad that did not happen.

PizzaPlanet

I know some people don't like the themeing (or lack of it) in this area, but I personally really like the Paradise Pier area. I am disappointed that it's becoming a Pixar themed area.
I thought they had a nice balance of IP at DCA, but now they are going WAY overboard. What's next? Will Grizzly Peak become DisneyToon Forest, with Planes: The Ride replacing Soarin' and Tinkerbell's River adventure replacing GRR?

Chef Mickey

Replacements really are disappointing. I would have liked to see more pure expansion rather than replacements of existing rides. I do appreciate Tron and even the Rat being brand new, but we got quite a few replacements too....and almost all IP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom