News D23 Expo 2017

BrianLo

Nick Kazden @ D23‏ @ricknazden 1m1 minute ago
Dumbo coming late 2018 and Mulan/Lion King in 2019

DEyzmMNUwAAMogr.jpg

2019... the year Disney officially breaks the box office.

They literally have an entry to every main series from all 5 studios. The filler isn't chump change either.

Also notably Solo is still 2018!

BrianLo

I don't think that was ever in doubt. May versus December is the question.

Ya, albeit is still occupies its correct spot in the ordered timeline.

I really think they'll do everything in their power to keep it on time. With nutcracker there is no room for it without canabalizing their own slate. Poppins maybe could do March if they are elated with how Black Panther does in Feb, thereby pushing up Captain Marvel... but I think they want an oscar push for Poppins.

Captain Neo

I'll be interested to see if it actually sticks to the Hoffmann original (which is quite dark, and one of my favorite stories) or if it goes as far afield (in a different direction) as the Tchaikovsky ballet does...

The problem with a lot of Disney stuff now adays is they try and make these old stories too modern. Like the jokes and the way characters talks sound like any movie or show that takes place in 2017 when these stories are supposed to take place a long, long time ago.

wdwfan4ver

Ironic since Baxter is the reason we only get movie tie ins in the parks now. He got the ball rolling 30 years ago.
You don't know what you are talking about because Disney movie tie in attractions got its start way before Star Tours opened in 1987. My point is Tony Baxter didn't start a trend at all. You are spreading misinformation.

When Walt opened Disneyland in 1955, Fantasyland had movie tie ins. I am referring to Peter Pan's Flight, Snow White's scary Adventures, the mad tea party, 2 attractions from the movie dumbo in Dumbo spinner and Casey Jr. Circus train, and Mr. Toad's Wild ride. Disneyland also was supposed to get Monstro the Whale as an opening day Disneyland attraction. Monstro the Whale attraction was supposed to based on the movie Pinocchio.

Disney theme parks didn't stop from opened day having movie tie in to Star Tours opening in Disneyland in 1987 either. Disneyland had Pinocchio's Daring journey and Alice in Wonder Land. Those two won't opening day attractions, but they opened before Star Tours did. Alice in Wonder Land opened in 1958. Pinocchio's Daring journey opened in 1983. Disney also opened Swiss Family Tree in 1962 in Disneyland and it was based on the film Swiss Family Robinson. Disney World and Tokyo Disneyland also had Movie tie in attractions before Star Tours happened.

Based on the attractions I mentioned, Disney did IPs on movies way before Star Tours. Disney had plans of other movie tie ins way before Tony Baxter's Star Tours attractions also. The ride Star Tours simulator originally was supposed to be a Block Hole Simulator, but the movie bombed in Disney's eyes.

Tron was supposed get attractions way before Star Tours opened also. There was plans of a Tron Shooting Gallery for Disneyland, but the attraction was scrapped.

I am more than willing to mention even more movie tie in plans that didn't happen.

Last edited:

Captain Neo

But judging by the box office numbers these film generate, Disney hardly see that as a "problem."

Princess & The Frog, Lone Ranger, John Carter, Prince of Persia say what

The films making the most money are Star Wars, Marvel, and the live action adaptations of the classic films. The other movies and animation are kind of all over the map in box office performance.

Magenta Panther

Wrinkle will also flop. I'm getting serious BFG / Tomorrowland vibes from that trailer.

Looks ridiculous to me too. I mean look at Mrs. Which...as I recall from reading the book, Mrs. Which (when she bothered to materialize) wore a witch's hat and a broomstick (as a joke). Oprah has her looking like Mardi Gras cosplayer. And that's not the only weird casting choices I see. Meh. I've immediately lost interest in this. No offense meant to those who are interested in this, of course.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom