News D23 Expo 2017

SoccerMickey

Wow, that puts it right up against the Disneyana Fan Club's (formerly NFFC) normal convention dates.
I was thinking the same exact thing!! DFC's had a love-hate relationship with D23 for years and I wonder if this'll be the last straw!!

I'm interested in this. Is it WORTH going to? How much are tickets (typically)?
I've been to all of them. To go or not to go is a very loaded question. The convention itself is not set up for you to see everything. The sorcerer package helps (but still not a guarantee) but it is a big expense and the tickets sell out really quickly. But it's a great event and most of the fun is to walk around the show floor, shopping at the vendors, and seeing all the booths from all the different divisions. Not sure if that's worth it for you to travel to go to this.

I'm going to be excited to follow all the action from the comforts of my home keeping the old iPhone updated with the latest news and YouTube video.
And for most people, that's the best way to experience the Expo.

Our hotel will be about 8 minutes away by car so how's the parking? Is it included for the event? Also, how packed are the parks generally around D23? Any tips would help greatly.
Convention center has parking. Its comparable to other parking in the area. The Hilton at the convention center usually has surprising good rates though.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
What's the difference? As long as I have a possibility of seeing one or two conferences and walking the floor I'm good.
A meet & greet the Thursday night, early access to the stores, easier access to everything else, a swag bag, a special lounge and a bunch of other perks. Biggest advantage is not lining up for hours to get into the various talks [even with a fastpass, you're lining up 45+ minutes in advance].

Sorcerer Pass is quite expensive, but certainly not of interest to everyone.

michmousefan

I know Comic-Con was mentioned, but another factor in scheduling may be that Anaheim will be hosting the USA Gymnastic National Championships for the first time, to take place Aug. 17-20, 2017. The Anaheim Convention Center will hold the USA Gymnastics national congress and trade show. Getting the event is a feather in the cap for the city and the Sports Anaheim program.

So while Disney may likely be moving D23 Expo up a month of its own accord, external considerations like the gymnastics championship coming to Anaheim might very well play a substantial part in the decision.
Interesting... that likely is the deciding factor, but they will still use the timing to get whatever exclusives out before Comic-Con.

I've been to the last two D23s... and had a lot of fun each time; especially as a midwesterner, you have the Expo then also the entire DL resort to play with as well. Yes, there is a lot of waiting in lines, but the shows are well-produced and there's enough going on that three days goes by pretty quickly. Unfortunately the earlier timeslot means the parks will be a bit more crowded... though it IS safely in the midst of all blackout dates. I think the last two Expo dates were right on the edge of the local's blackouts, as I remember.

prberk

Showing 2015's is a bit higher..I won't be surprised if it's Up the nose this year...
ExpoTicketChart-All.png

The member early-bird price for THREE DAYS was the same price as WDW is charging for THREE HOURS after hours at the MK now....

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I've been to all of them. To go or not to go is a very loaded question. The convention itself is not set up for you to see everything. The sorcerer package helps (but still not a guarantee) but it is a big expense and the tickets sell out really quickly. But it's a great event and most of the fun is to walk around the show floor, shopping at the vendors, and seeing all the booths from all the different divisions. Not sure if that's worth it for you to travel to go to this.

If we bundle it with a Disneyland/SoCal trip? I'm leaning towards going regardless but this sounds like it's comparable ComicCon for Disnerds, am i right?

Californian Elitist

If we bundle it with a Disneyland/SoCal trip? I'm leaning towards going regardless but this sounds like it's comparable ComicCon for Disnerds, am i right?

You could kind of say that, but ComicCon is on another level, in terms of popularity and offerings. ComicCon tickets sell out in seconds.

If you're truly interested in attending D23, you should make the trip, if you can. I haven't been to one since 2011, however, I'd consider going on that Saturday if we did a WDWMagic meet-up. I'd be down for Disneyland as well.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
You could kind of say that, but ComicCon is on another level, in terms of popularity and offerings. ComicCon tickets sell out in seconds.

If you're truly interested in attending D23, you should make the trip, if you can. I haven't been to one since 2011, however, I'd consider going on that Saturday if we did a WDWMagic meet-up. I'd be down for Disneyland as well.

I'm always looking for an excuse to hit up Disneyland for a few days!!

Mike S

If I go I'll definitely be in Disneyland on the 13th for my 24th :)

TP2000

I think my wife and I are going to go to this next year. For those of you who have been before, do you find it worth going to? Would you go all 3 days? We'd probably pair it with a visit to Disneyland since we only make it out there every 3 or 4 years.

Also, do people bring kids to this thing or would be be frustrated bringing a 3.5 yr old to the Expo?

A 3 year old would likely be miserable at D23 after 20 minutes. There are some fun displays and eye candy to check out with kids on the exhibit floor, but even then they are aimed at adults to explain how their product works for kids. It's a giant trade show, and while some kids are present the material isn't aimed at them. But if you've got a 3 year old who would be interested in battling lines and crowds to look at things like an exhibit of 20th century Disneyland ride operator uniforms, then not only do you have a very special child but also someone who would love D23 Expo!

d23-expo-disneyland-exhibit-174.jpg

The theater sessions and presentations are all aimed at adults who can sit quietly for an hour or two, after waiting in line for an hour or two.

I think many local Disney fans make the mistake of bringing their kids to D23. After all, it's right across the street from Disneyland and it has the word "Disney" in it, so kids would love it, right? Wrong. It's all aimed at the adult Disney fan and their pocketbook.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom