D23 Expo 2015

Fe Maiden

The past few summers in Southern California have been cooler than the long-term (150 years or so) statistical average. Although 150 years is a fraction of a blink of an eye compared to the last One Million years on a planet that is Six Billion years old. And remember, it hasn't been hot the past few summers because of Al Gore's Global Warming. Or something like that. :cool:

But even if we return to the statistical average for summer temps in SoCal this year, a "hot" day in SoCal in August is nothing compared to the climate in Orlando in August. And the summer nights in SoCal are pure magic. There's a reason the Beach Boys made so many hit songs about beaches and sun and girls in Southern California and no one has ever made a song about the weather or the girls in Central Florida.

August crowds aren't bad, but go in the first half of the month before the Annual Passholders become unblocked from their summer moratorium around the third week of August. If you go past August 20th it can be very busy, especially on a Sunday.

Go to Disneyland in August, bring some sun screen and maybe a light sweater for evening, and you'll have a blast!

This is great info. I've been wondering when we should go to DL. We usually take our summer vacations the 3rd week in August (Ocean City, NJ this year) and that includes WDW. Honestly, the heat and humidity is not much worse in Orlando than Philly. My real concern has been summer crowds at DL and when is the best time to go.

AndyS2992

This is great info. I've been wondering when we should go to DL. We usually take our summer vacations the 3rd week in August (Ocean City, NJ this year) and that includes WDW. Honestly, the heat and humidity is not much worse in Orlando than Philly. My real concern has been summer crowds at DL and when is the best time to go.
The best time to go to Disneyland is on school days throughout the year and avoid School holidays and weekends. The bulk of Disneyland visitors are locals with APs unlike WDW.

Above is a walk around of Disneyland on a week day in September 2013, empty.

Fe Maiden

The best time to go to Disneyland is on school days throughout the year and avoid School holidays and weekends. The bulk of Disneyland visitors are locals with APs unlike WDW.

Above is a walk around of Disneyland on a week day in September 2013, empty.

Thanks, good to know. Probably won't happen until our youngest is in college since we won't pull them out of school. Of course that's why Disneyland looks like that!

One of the reasons we've always liked the 3rd week of August for our summer vacation is the crowds have begun to dwindle. And that goes for the Jersey shore and WDW.

Figments Friend

But even if we return to the statistical average for summer temps in SoCal this year, a "hot" day in SoCal in August is nothing compared to the climate in Orlando in August. And the summer nights in SoCal are pure magic. There's a reason the Beach Boys made so many hit songs about beaches and sun and girls in Southern California and no one has ever made a song about the weather or the girls in Central Florida.

Yes indeed...so well expressed.

California is GREAT for many reasons...two excellent points noted above.
I love it.

I would take a California Summer over a Florida Summer any day.

:)

Travel Junkie

Thanks, good to know. Probably won't happen until our youngest is in college since we won't pull them out of school. Of course that's why Disneyland looks like that!

One of the reasons we've always liked the 3rd week of August for our summer vacation is the crowds have begun to dwindle. And that goes for the Jersey shore and WDW.

Check the AP blockour calendar to see when local AP's can go and not go. https://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/blockout-dates/

This year the So Cal passes are restricted from late June until August 18. Being able to go to the parks for the first time in a couple months brings AP's out in droves. It would be best to come the week before the blockout is lifted if possible crowd wise.

Fe Maiden

TP2000

Yup, no compelling reasons. WDW doesn't account for the lion's share of DP&R revenue or profits, Orange County Convention Center isn't 5 miles/10 minutes away from Disney property and Orlando isn't one of the top tourism destinations in the world.

If there were compelling reasons, Disney would have already hosted a D23 Expo in Orlando. They haven't, and there are no current plans to. Obviously someone of some importance has made the decision that Anaheim is the location for D23 Expo, and Orlando is not.

I'm of the opinion much of that reason can be found in my detailed post earlier in this thread that explains how little convention space is available on WDW property, and what there is of it is fractured across miles of WDW property. But there is likely other reasons as well.

Another possible factor is the problem that most Hollywood celebrities and corporate bigwigs simply don't want to go visit Florida in August due to the crummy climate; they'd rather stay in SoCal in August.

Not to mention the cost and expense of moving all those precious Archive exhibits and important Disney Company historical objects 3,000 miles away from their home.

michmousefan

It could go either way but my logic is:

1) It will have been 3 years since Cars land opened and with Universal expanding away in Hollywood (especially with HP Land West opening 2016) they have got to feel obligated to announce something. If not they are really dumb.

2) With Star Wars Episode VII coming out just a mere 3 months after the convention it would be a phenomenal opportunity to promote the new movie and attract headlines by announcing a major Star Wars expansion at Disneyland. Since most of the info about the new characters, planets, etc. would be widely known by most people at the time they can show off a SW land that represents all 7 films without having to worry about the secrecy of Episode VII's production.

Regardless though I think it's safe to say there will be a huge Star Wars push at D23 as that is Disney's crown jewel now.
I could easily see the entire Parks and Resorts pavilion at D23 being used for just the Pandora and Star Wars land/areas... but figure they will probably want to push a few other things as well, like DCL. I imagine a model of World of Pandora will be on hand; can only hope the same would be true of a Star Wars land. Realistically, not sure how Cameron's ego would allow Avatar and Episode 7 to stand side by side, so maybe the P&R pavilion will focus on the stuff under construction in Florida, and the SW content will be saved for a large announcement during one of the keynotes (would be nice for a Parks & Resorts keynote to return).

AllydoesDisney

I'm trying to save my money for this. I really want to go, even if its only for one day. Do they have 2 day tickets or is it just 1 and 3 day tickets? And how much are they for members usually?

michmousefan

I'm trying to save my money for this. I really want to go, even if its only for one day. Do they have 2 day tickets or is it just 1 and 3 day tickets? And how much are they for members usually?
I think it's just single-day or 3-day tickets that are sold. If you are a D23 member and buy your tix before the end of 2014, you get a nice (but not really that huge) discount. I seem to remember the 3-day being like $120 with the max advance purchase.

AllydoesDisney

I think it's just single-day or 3-day tickets that are sold. If you are a D23 member and buy your tix before the end of 2014, you get a nice (but not really that huge) discount. I seem to remember the 3-day being like $120 with the max advance purchase.
That's actually not as bad as I thought

sponono88

A portion of the schedule was released today: https://d23.com/hall-d23-presentations-2015/

The Parks and Resorts presentation is back this year!!

On the afternoon of Saturday, August 15, join Bob Chapek, chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, for a behind-the-scenes peek at the magical experiences and entertainment coming to Disney parks and resorts around the world.

Also good to know they are expanding the venue for the major presentations, previously the Arena only held 4,000 seats. The new Hall D will seat 7,500!

Last edited:

ABQ

Is this the first public appearance by Chapek since his being placed in this role? I'll be interested in how well he'll do skirting all details and speaking only vaguely about topics that only a fanboi can drool over.

^ Totally understand the sentiment, but saying nothing is bad business just as being definitive on details that are changing is bad business.

michael.fumc

or they could just use this again, to buy time!
d23-2013-starwarsartoo.jpg

I really hope they give some real info

michmousefan

Good to know I won't have to queue up at the crack of dawn on Friday... unless there are some rather phenomenal inductees into the Legends.

And, this means a good chunk of waiting in line on Saturday. Maybe if they make the afternoon session "FastPass-able."

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
THE WALT DISNEY STUDIOS PRESENTS UPCOMING FILM SLATE AND MORE AT D23 EXPO 2015

BURBANK, CA – July 21, 2015 – The Walt Disney Studios offers an exclusive look at its upcoming projects from Disney, Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm at D23 EXPO 2015, taking place August 14–16 at the Anaheim Convention Center.

The Studio will unveil its animation and live-action film slates via two huge Hall D23 presentations featuring surprise guests and many unforgettable moments. Other not-to-be-missed events include a Frozen FANdemonium musical celebration with Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez and the 20th anniversary celebration of Disney•Pixar’s Toy Story with John Lasseter and the original Pixar crew.

HALL D23 PRESENTATIONS:

Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios: The Upcoming Films, Hosted by John Lasseter

Friday, August 14, 3:00 pm - Hall D23

After meeting the Emotions inside the mind of an 11-year-old, taking a trip to San Fransokyo, where a boy genius and his robot save the world, and falling in love with a queen with icy powers who wants to “let it go,” come see where Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios plan to take you next. In what has become a D23 EXPO must-see, host John Lasseter, chief creative officer of Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios, presents this in-depth look at the animation studios’ slate. Filmmakers will unveil never-before-seen footage from Pixar’s upcoming The Good Dinosaur and Finding Dory and Disney Animation’s Zootopia and Moana. The event will include surprise announcements, musical performances, and appearances by the films’ star voice talent.

Worlds, Galaxies, and Universes: Live Action at The Walt Disney Studios

Saturday, August 15, 10:30 am - Hall D23

Disney, Marvel and Lucasfilm are home to some of the planet’s best storytellers, immersing audiences fully in the world of each film from beginning to end and beyond. In this exclusive Hall D23 presentation, join Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn for a tour of upcoming live-action projects from these legendary film studios. A bevy of special guests will be on hand to offer a look at an unparalleled slate that includes Alice Through the Looking Glass, The Jungle Book, Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War, Star Wars: The Force Awakens—and much, much more.

Frozen FANdemonium: A Musical Celebration!

Sunday, August 16, 3:00 pm - Hall D23

Join host Chris Montan, president, Walt Disney Music, and the Oscar®-winning songwriting team of Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez as they take you on a once-in-a-lifetime musical journey through the world of Frozen. This one-day-only performance features your favorite friends from the Walt Disney Animation Studios film—including Anna and Elsa––with sing-along experiences and fascinating stories behind some of your favorite Frozen songs.

CALENDAR OF KEY EVENTS:

In Conversation with the Filmmakers and the Emotions Behind Inside Out

Friday, August 14, 11:30 am – Stage 28

Get the inside story on the making of Pixar’s latest summer release, Inside Out. Hear from Academy Award®-winning director Pete Docter (Up,Monsters, Inc.) and producer Jonas Rivera (Up) as they reminisce and share their personal stories of creating a world that everyone knows, but no one has ever seen.

Welcome to Zootopia!

Saturday, August 15, 1:30 pm - Stage 28

Welcome to Zootopia, a magnificent mammal metropolis, and home to Walt Disney Animation Studios’ next feature, the comedy-adventureZootopia. Join directors Byron Howard (Tangled, Bolt) and Rich Moore (Wreck-It Ralph), producer Clark Spencer (Wreck-It Ralph, Bolt), and artists from the incredible production team as they introduce rookie rabbit-officer Judy Hopps, con-artist fox Nick Wilde and a host of dynamic animal characters, sharing footage and behind-the-scenes stories with D23 EXPO-goers.

Pixar Secrets Revealed! Hear the Stories They Didn’t Want You to Know!

Saturday, August 15, 3:00 pm – Stage 28

Ever wonder where your favorite Pixar stories began? Hear the stories you don’t know about the classic films that you love. Pixar senior development executive Mary Coleman hosts this experience, welcoming the storytellers behind some of Pixar’s most successful films, including Darla K. Anderson (A Bug’s Life, Monsters, Inc., Cars, Toy Story 3), Mark Andrews (The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Brave), Ronnie del Carmen (Up, Inside Out) and Dan Scanlon (Cars, Toy Story 3, Monsters University), as they talk about the twists and turns of crafting a narrative and share some of the crazy story ideas that didn’t make the final cut.

Toy Story: 20 Years Later, the Original Crew Looks Back

Saturday, August 15, 4:30 pm – Stage 23

From flipbooks to feature films, animation has taken audiences to fantastical new worlds, far beyond the limits of any real-world setting. Pixar Animation Studios has been at the forefront of this evolution, blurring the line between art and technology and bringing beloved characters to life with heart and humor. As we celebrate the 20th anniversary of 1995’s Toy Story, the first computer-animated feature film, join members of the original crew, including filmmakers John Lasseter, Pete Docter, Andrew Stanton, Lee Unkrich, Galyn Susman, Ralph Eggleston, Sharon Calahan,Eben Ostby, Bob Pauley and Bill Reeves as they share their stories and the challenges they faced along the way.

Aladdin – The Making of a Classic

Saturday, August 15, 6:00 pm - Stage 28

Join Walt Disney Animation Studios filmmakers, including legendary directors John Musker and Ron Clements, animators Eric Goldberg (Genie) and Mark Henn (Jasmine), as well as Jasmine herself, Linda Larkin, and the two actors who gave life to the character Aladdin: Scott Weinger and Brad Kane, as they unveil the stories behind one of the great Disney classics, Aladdin, a film that led to a “whole new world” for animation.

The Shorts of Walt Disney Animation Studios: from Paperman to Prep & Landing, Feast to Frozen Fever

Sunday, August 16, 11:30 am - Stage 28

When Walt Disney and his brother Roy founded the Disney Brothers Studio in 1923, their first medium for storytelling was the animated short. More than 90 years later, Walt Disney Animation Studios continues this tradition, making groundbreaking and award-winning shorts includingFeast, Paperman and this year’s hit Frozen Fever. Join the filmmakers behind these shorts and so many others, including Get A Horse!, John Henry, Lorenzo and The Ballad of Nessie for a conversation about this truly animated art form.

The Tunes Behind the Toons: Screening/Q&A

Sunday, August 16, 6:00 pm, Stage 28

D23 EXPO invites you to a special screening and Q&A panel for The Tunes Behind the Toons, a short form documentary that celebrates the power of music in animation. From the silent film days when organists played live accompaniments, to the music within today’s animated features, this documentary traces the origins of cartoon music and its pioneers. Featuring interviews with Alan Menken, Randy Newman, Patrick Doyle, Mark Watters, Bruce Broughton, Richard Sherman and many others. Producer/director Dave Bossert will lead a star-studded Q&A following the presentation.

ON THE EXPO SHOW FLOOR:

The Walt Disney Studios – Show Floor Exhibition

Step into the worlds of The Walt Disney Studios in this wide-ranging showcase of exciting projects from Disney Live Action, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Disneynature, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. Among the many highlights:

·For the first time at D23 EXPO, Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios have created a joint experience no Disney fan should miss. With live demonstrations, presentations, and autograph signings with top filmmakers from each studio, plus free giveaways and interactive displays featuring the films Inside Out, The Good Dinosaur, Zootopia, Finding Dory and Moana, this is a can’t-miss attraction for animation fans.

·Explore costumes, props and photo ops from the Studios’ live-action films, including Disney, Marvel and Lucasfilm.

Disney Movies Anywhere Tweet Suite

Take pics and share them in the Disney Movies Anywhere Tweet Suite. It’s also the perfect opportunity to learn more about Disney Movies Anywhere, Disney’s digital movie app that lets you watch your Disney, Pixar, Marvel, and Star Wars movie collection across your favorite devices, anywhere you go.

Say Aloha to John Lasseter’s Film-Themed Hawaiian Shirts

Chief Creative Officer of Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios John Lasseter takes Disney and Pixar animation to heart—literally. For nearly every film—from Finding Nemo and Wreck-It Ralph to Frozen and Inside Out, Lasseter has commissioned an exclusive movie-themed Hawaiian shirt. And those who know the Oscar®-winning storyteller know that he loves his Hawaiian shirts—and dons one for almost every occasion. Animation fans will see their favorite film characters “materialize” before their eyes in this colorful collection, which will be exhibited on the show floor.

An Animator’s Gallery: Eric Goldberg

D23 hosts the first public exhibition anywhere of “An Animator’s Gallery: Eric Goldberg.” Celebrate Goldberg, whose artistry at Walt Disney Animation Studios began with his groundbreaking work on Genie in Aladdin, and continues to this day on projects such as the upcoming Moanaand the 2014 Oscar®-nominated Mickey Mouse short Get A Horse! The exhibition features a collection of more than 100 of Goldberg’s caricatured creations of Disney characters, drawn in a style reminiscent of art seen on the famed walls of Sardi’s Restaurant and The Brown Derby. This incredible collection of art is from the newly released book An Animator’s Gallery: Eric Goldberg Draws the Disney Characters, and will be available for purchase in the Walt Disney Publishing pop-up shop on the EXPO show floor.

Frozen Album Signing

With the purchase of Frozen: The Songs or Frozen Picture Disc at the Disney Music Emporium, guests will be issued a wristband to secure a space for an album signing with Kristen Anderson-Lopez, Robert Lopez and Tom MacDougall (Co-Producer, Frozen Soundtrack) on Saturday, August 15 at 10:30 am.

Tickets for D23 EXPO 2015 are $74 for a one-day adult admission and $54 for children 3–12. Tickets for members of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club are $65 for a one-day adult admission and $48 for children. Multi-day money-saving tickets are also available. D23 Members can save as much as $112 off the price of admission, based on the purchase of four three-day tickets at the D23 Member rate. For more information on tickets and the ticket pricing structure for D23 Members and general admission, visit D23EXPO.com.

About The Walt Disney Studios

For over 90 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today, the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios; Disneynature; Marvel Studios; Lucasfilm; and Touchstone Pictures, the banner under which live-action films from DreamWorks Studios are distributed. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!.

About D23 EXPO 2015

D23 EXPO—The Ultimate Disney Fan Event—brings together all the worlds of Disney under one roof for three packed days of presentations, pavilions, experiences, concerts, sneak peeks, shopping, and more. The event provides fans with unprecedented access to Disney films, television, games, theme parks, and celebrities. Presentations, talent, and schedule subject to change. For the latest D23 EXPO 2015 news, visit D23EXPO.com. To join the D23 EXPO conversation, make sure to follow @DisneyD23 on Twitter and use #D23Expo.

About D23

The name “D23” pays homage to the exciting journey that began in 1923 when Walt Disney opened his first studio in Hollywood. D23 is the first official club for fans in Disney’s 90-plus-year history. It gives its members a greater connection to the entire world of Disney by placing them in the middle of the magic through its quarterly publication, Disney twenty-three; a rich website at D23.com with members-only content; member-exclusive discounts; and special events for D23 Members throughout the year.

Fans can join D23 at Gold and General Membership levels atD23.comand at DisneyStore.com/D23. To keep up with all the latest D23 news and events, follow DisneyD23 on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and YouTube.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
60TH ANNIVERSARY OF MICKEY MOUSE CLUB TO BE CELEBRATED AT D23 EXPO 2015 WITH REUNION OF ORIGINAL MOUSEKETEERS

BURBANK, Calif. – June 30, 2015 – Members of the original Mickey Mouse Club will join the fun at D23 EXPO 2015 during a special presentation to commemorate the show’s 60th anniversary. Celebrating Walt Disney’s Mickey Mouse Club — 60 Magical yEARS, hosted by author Lorraine Santoli (The Official Mickey Mouse Club Book), will take place Sunday, August 16 at 5 p.m. in Stage 23. The panel, featuring original Mouseketeers Sherry Alberoni, Sharon Baird, Bobby Burgess, Tommy Cole, Darlene Gillespie, Cubby O’Brien, and Doreen Tracey, along with actors Tim Considine (Spin Evans) and David Stollery (Marty Markham), will include a one-of-a-kind performance filled with memories, music, and magic. D23 EXPO 2015, presented by D23: The Official Disney Fan Club, will take place August 14–16 at the Anaheim Convention Center.

In addition to the panel, the Disney Dream Store will offer a small collection of 60th anniversary Mickey Mouse Club items to mark the occasion. Also, several of the Mouseketeers will be available for a signing opportunity at D23 Autograph Central on the EXPO show floor on Sunday from 2:30–3:30 p.m. Plus, guests will be able to see Mouseketeer Annette Funicello’s original Disney Legend handprints on display for the first time outside the Walt Disney Studios lot. The handprints, taken on October 21, 1992, when Funicello was inducted as a Disney Legend, will be presented in one of the show floor’s “photo spots.” There will also be a collection of props and costumes from Mickey Mouse Club Circus in Walt Disney Archives Presents—Disneyland: The Exhibit.

D23 will also present several other engaging presentations for guests throughout the weekend including:

Charles Phoenix: Big Retro Disneyland Slide Show!

Friday, August 14, 10 a.m., Stage 28

Be prepared for your Disneyland-loving spirit to soar when the Ambassador of Americana takes you to the granddaddy of all theme parks when it opened. With his spectacular collection of “found” mid-century-era Kodachrome images, unbridled enthusiasm, and keen eye for detail, Charles shares the early days of Main Street, U.S.A., Adventureland, Fantasyland, Frontierland, and Tomorrowland. See long-gone attractions, including the Phantom Boats, Flying Saucers, the Indian Village, PeopleMover, House of the Future, Carousel of Progress, and the original Tomorrowland—promoted as “The World of 1986”—and the all-new Tomorrowland in 1967. Your imagination will be inspired!

Disneyland Home Movies

Friday, August 14, 4:30 p.m., Stage 28

While Disneyland is one of the most photographed places on earth, this collection of one-of-a-kind footage and photography offers a unique viewpoint from another time. From the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences, Randy Haberkamp, Managing Director of Preservation and Foundation Programs; Lynne Kirste, Special Collections Curator; and surprise special guests will take guests on a journey from Walt’s inspirations for Disneyland to the park’s opening and evolution, as captured on film. Suzanne Lloyd joins the presentation to showcase her grandfather Harold Lloyd’s stunning photography of Disneyland taken the week before the opening and on opening day.

A Goofy Movie 20th Anniversary Reunion!

Friday, August 14, 6 p.m., Stage 28

Fans of A Goofy Movie won’t want to miss this special commemoration of the beloved Disney animated feature, which turns 20 in 2015. Film producer Don Hahn hosts a panel of A Goofy Movie talent––including Disney Legend Bill Farmer (Goofy), Jason Marsden (Max), Jim Cummings (Pete), Rob Paulsen (P.J.), and writer Jymn Magon––who will share behind-the-scenes stories and surprising anecdotes from the fan-favorite musical.

The Making of American Experience: Walt Disney

Saturday, August 15, 4:30 p.m., Stage 28

This fall, PBS will premiere a new two-part, four-hour film exploring the life and legacy of Walt Disney as part of the American Experience series. Go behind-the-scenes with the team who brought the project together for a special sneak peek of the film: moderator Don Hahn (film producer, Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King), Sarah Colt (director/producer, American Experience: Walt Disney), Neal Gabler (biographer, Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination), and Becky Cline, the Director of the Walt Disney Archives.

Best of Destination D

Sunday, August 16, 4:30 p.m., Stage 28

Since 2010, D23 Destination D events have offered D23 Members the chance to celebrate their favorite Disney subjects with unique and in-depth presentations from Disney Legends, Imagineers, animators, and others who have made magic on film, at Disney theme parks, and beyond. At D23 EXPO 2015, D23 is bringing two popular presentations from prior Destination D events together for a celebration of Walt Disney World® Resort—including a look back to its construction, early development, and favorite attractions of the past with Disney Legend and Walt Disney Archives founder Dave Smith. Then, Imagineer Jason Grandt will provide a modern look at Disney Parks and offer a designer’s point of view of details and “Easter Eggs” found throughout different attractions.

Tickets for D23 EXPO 2015 are $74 for a one-day adult admission and $54 for children 3–12. Tickets for members of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club are $65 for a one-day adult admission and $48 for children. Multi-day money-saving tickets are also available. D23 Members can save as much as $112 off the price of admission, based on the purchase of four three-day tickets at the D23 Member rate. For more information on tickets and the ticket pricing structure for D23 Members and general admission, visit D23EXPO.com.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom