D23 Expo 2015

Kevo

August, 2015 is almost 18 months from now. The Disney Springs remodeling project has been officially announced and under construction since April, 2013.

Let's hope there's not much to "reveal" about a remodeled shopping mall after two and a half years of construction work. Not to mention they already featured a big model and exhibit space of Disney Springs at the WDI Pavilion at the last D23 Expo, in August, 2013.

Disney Springs model, D23 Expo 2013, Anaheim Convention Center
DbMdisneysprings00x.jpg

What else is there to display at D23 on this remodeled mall? How they Imagineered the floor tiles at the new Cinnabon to be the color of cinnamon? :rolleyes:

I think Disney Springs might hold a few nice surprises, particularly when it comes to theming and some surprise retail partners

Next Big Thing

Considering Shanghai is supposed to be opening lat 2015, i'd expect to see a crap ton of stuff about SDL, probably a bunch of models of the park, concept art and things of that nature. We'll probably see more about the international parks than anything for the stateside parks truthfully...

Goofnut1980

I understand you can't continually dump money into parks or a for-profit company wouldn't make a profit. But at what point do they see that there is so much potential stateside and make World much bigger and even more of an attraction to guests from all over the world to visit?

I personally think they need to stop shifting people around and just fire and rehire... pretty standard with exec's. To keep a company fresh and on the cutting edge, you need to bring in new blood. Not just mix up your personnel from one group to another. Name a company that moves big wigs around like the Disney Company does? And I'm not saying a company shouldn't promote from within. But why does a President of this part of the Disney company swap jobs with this VP from this part of the company, when this other VP is now the VP of this Presidents, VP... I mean seriously.
jmo

Bocabear

I think Disney Springs might hold a few nice surprises, particularly when it comes to theming and some surprise retail partners
I think that is extremely hopeful... Downtown Disney has a long way to go just to get back to where they were in the 90s... I think it is going to be a totally expected result, they will over-hype each detail to try and make it newsworthy, and if FLE is any indication, by 2015 they just might have finished the garage.

TP2000

Name a company that moves big wigs around like the Disney Company does? And I'm not saying a company shouldn't promote from within. But why does a President of this part of the Disney company swap jobs with this VP from this part of the company, when this other VP is now the VP of this Presidents, VP... I mean seriously.

General Motors comes to mind. They are notorious for remaining very insular to the outside world, moving up the promising folks in the ranks, and then just shuffling people around through various exec positions for the last 25 years of their career. The new CEO of GM started at GM as a secretary, went to college on a GM scholarship, and moved her way up into the executive pool, for example. She's only worked for GM, and only lived in Michigan her entire life. Most GM execs are like that.

And we can see how General Motors has performed in the last 20 years. :cool:

Captain Neo

No inside info. But I'd wager against that Star Wars Land announcement.

It could go either way but my logic is:

1) It will have been 3 years since Cars land opened and with Universal expanding away in Hollywood (especially with HP Land West opening 2016) they have got to feel obligated to announce something. If not they are really dumb.

2) With Star Wars Episode VII coming out just a mere 3 months after the convention it would be a phenomenal opportunity to promote the new movie and attract headlines by announcing a major Star Wars expansion at Disneyland. Since most of the info about the new characters, planets, etc. would be widely known by most people at the time they can show off a SW land that represents all 7 films without having to worry about the secrecy of Episode VII's production.

Regardless though I think it's safe to say there will be a huge Star Wars push at D23 as that is Disney's crown jewel now.

Ignohippo

This is probably where Star Wars land will be announced and a model of the DAK Avatar Land will be shown

No chance for Star Wars land. Maybe for their beloved DisneyLand, but I don't see it happening for WDW.

I don't think they want anything to take the shine away from Avatar and, knowing TDO, they probably don't want to invest any more in the parks after way they've spent on the FLE and Avatar for the foreseeable future (not to mention MM+ and DTD). I'm sure they think they'll be able to ride the wave of those additions for the next 10 years.

An investment in DHS for SW and to reconfigure the parking would probably be around $1 billion if they were to do it anywhere close to the right way. I just can't see them spending that much with the MM+ debacle going on. If they half- it (and just do the Cantina and one ride), they'll be a complete laughing stock – especially considering what Uni has done with Potter.

I certainly hope to the heavens I'm wrong. I'd love to see it get announced.

asianway

For Christ's sakes, would it really kill them to have one in Orlando at least on every five/ten years?

I understand that's a lot to ship down for the event, but c'mon, the promotion for WDW and the press it could get for the East Coast would be worth it.
There's no where to have it on property and they've spent the last ten years focusing on how to trap you there. There's no way in hell they will have it at the OCCC. They even moved the Star Wars Celebration to Anaheim

Ignohippo

There's no where to have it on property and they've spent the last ten years focusing on how to trap you there. There's no way in hell they will have it at the OCCC. They even moved the Star Wars Celebration to Anaheim

OCCC would be the perfect place for it. Regardless of if it's on property or not, the rooms at WDW would most certainly all sell out and the parks would have an enormous influx of guests that week. Even having it at OCCC would be huge win for WDW.

As for Celebration, it was in Orlando for two consecutive conventions. As much as I hate it being in Cali this time, it only makes sense to have it there this time (and probably every other one). Rumor is that they have an agreement to have one more in Orlando, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it back in 2017.

asianway

OCCC would be the perfect place for it. Regardless of if it's on property or not, the rooms at WDW would most certainly all sell out and the parks would have an enormous influx of guests that week. Even having it at OCCC would be huge win for WDW.

As for Celebration, it was in Orlando for two consecutive conventions. As much as I hate it being in Cali this time, it only makes sense to have it there this time (and probably every other one). Rumor is that they have an agreement to have one more in Orlando, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it back in 2017.
If the primary focus is to be at the convention, why wouldn't you stay at Rosen, Hyatt, Hilton right across the street? I think you overestimate the willingness to commute to & from

Goofnut1980

General Motors comes to mind. They are notorious for remaining very insular to the outside world, moving up the promising folks in the ranks, and then just shuffling people around through various exec positions for the last 25 years of their career. The new CEO of GM started at GM as a secretary, went to college on a GM scholarship, and moved her way up into the executive pool, for example. She's only worked for GM, and only lived in Michigan her entire life. Most GM execs are like that.

And we can see how General Motors has performed in the last 20 years. :cool:

I am all about promoting from within the organization. But Disney just moves people around from "title" to "title" not introducing anyone new to the mix.

Californian Elitist

For Christ's sakes, would it really kill them to have one in Orlando at least on every five/ten years?

I understand that's a lot to ship down for the event, but c'mon, the promotion for WDW and the press it could get for the East Coast would be worth it.

They're not going to ship everything from California to Florida, not to mention the celebrities that already live in California. It also helps that Disneyland sits across the street from the convention center. Cha-ching.

RSoxNo1

There is simply no venue near WDW that can accommodate it like the Anaheim Convention Center. Add in the other reasons you mentioned, I don't see it happening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom