D23 Disneyland/DCA Predictions!

BrianLo

I love how Chapek takes credit for Star Wars Land even though it was greenlit BEFORE he became the Head of Parks and Resorts.

Sort of, planning was well underway, but Chapek arrived on scene shortly after Stagg's overall vision was turned down by the BoD as not ambitious enough. Chapek acquired the bigger project movement to RoA and the old LMA areas. It was announced roughly five months after his tenure and really didn't start construction until 10 months in.

This is not to say things would not have occurred very similarly without his involvement, but it was still a dry run, he did have some overall say in the matter.

Chapek's problem is he earns no credit for the major projects coming online during his years (Shanghai, Pandora, SW:GE, DHS)... albeit most were in various states of distress, especially Shanghai and he did somehow at least manage to launch two of them successfully so far.

The only ground up projects we've seen from him are all by virtue quick and dirty, because we know from Pandora the minimum lead team on major Disney projects tends to be 5 years - if not 6/7 with the way the company drags their feet.

His true large scale legacy projects right now are Epcot, the Marvel portfolio, Hong Kong's Expansion, Walt Disney Studios Paris Expansion, Tokyo's Fantasy Springs Expansion, the WDW transit and hotel expansions (including the SW hotel) and a smattering of E-tickets like Tron for MK and the Mickey rollout.

The man gets blamed for a lot of crap, but his current three year tenure is infinitely improved over Rasulo or Staggs based on volume alone.

TTA94

They will probably announce PTN returning for the summer, Again. Or MSEP coming back lol couldn’t resist.

GiveMeTheMusic

Sort of, planning was well underway, but Chapek arrived on scene shortly after Stagg's overall vision was turned down by the BoD as not ambitious enough. Chapek acquired the bigger project movement to RoA and the old LMA areas. It was announced roughly five months after his tenure and really didn't start construction until 10 months in.

This is not to say things would not have occurred very similarly without his involvement, but it was still a dry run, he did have some overall say in the matter.

Chapek's problem is he earns no credit for the major projects coming online during his years (Shanghai, Pandora, SW:GE, DHS)... albeit most were in various states of distress, especially Shanghai and he did somehow at least manage to launch two of them successfully so far.

The only ground up projects we've seen from him are all by virtue quick and dirty, because we know from Pandora the minimum lead team on major Disney projects tends to be 5 years - if not 6/7 with the way the company drags their feet.

His true large scale legacy projects right now are Epcot, the Marvel portfolio, Hong Kong's Expansion, Walt Disney Studios Paris Expansion, Tokyo's Fantasy Springs Expansion, the WDW transit and hotel expansions (including the SW hotel) and a smattering of E-tickets like Tron for MK and the Mickey rollout.

The man gets blamed for a lot of crap, but his current three year tenure is infinitely improved over Rasulo or Staggs based on volume alone.

Ol' Bobby can take credit for cutting SWGE's budget repeatedly!

GiveMeTheMusic

Sounds interesting. What'd he have cut?

He's made WDI stick to their original budget, which in theory, is a good thing. The problem is that WDI is incapable of sticking to a budget, so a bunch of things that were supposed to make it in have been cut because of overruns.

So I guess saying he cut the budget isn't fair, as he didn't cut the budget, he just won't approve any overages, even if it's detrimental to the project.

mickEblu

He's made WDI stick to their original budget, which in theory, is a good thing. The problem is that WDI is incapable of sticking to a budget, so a bunch of things that were supposed to make it in have been cut because of overruns.

So I guess saying he cut the budget isn't fair, as he didn't cut the budget, he just won't approve any overages, even if it's detrimental to the project.

Does this include the third attraction or was that before the overruns? Can you give us any details of some of the stuff that was cut? I’m guessing this includes the water tank at the cantina? I remember reading that most of what was cut was media stuff from the attractions?

JediMasterMatt

Does this include the third attraction or was that before the overruns?

Beastly transport was axed because Orlando was too cheap to want to pay the long term operational costs and by that point of the development cycle - both coasts were destined to be a joint venture. This decision did have a positive impact though. It was the death knell for One Disney. After this, what is good for one resort doesn't necessarily make it good for others.

GiveMeTheMusic

Does this include the third attraction or was that before the overruns? Can you give us any details of some of the stuff that was cut? I’m guessing this includes the water tank at the cantina? I remember reading that most of what was cut was media stuff from the attractions?

The third attraction was axed before Chapek took over, if I remember the timeline correctly, for the reasons @JediMasterMatt listed above.

Don't know many specifics about what has been cut, sorry. I just know that a lot didn't get done because WDI has money problems.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The third attraction was axed before Chapek took over, if I remember the timeline correctly, for the reasons @JediMasterMatt listed above.

Don't know many specifics about what has been cut, sorry. I just know that a lot didn't get done because WDI has money problems.

I know the cut ride was supposed to be Bantha-related. What exactly was its mechanics supposed to be? Because I'm having a hard time imagining what sort of ride can use elephant-sized creatures with no flying ear flaps and not have one of the lowest PPHs in all the parks.

TP2000

My D23 Expo Prediction for August, 2019:

Bob Chapek will go onstage in a dark sportcoat that doesn't really match his trousers and with no necktie, and a shiny new "Bob" nametag an assistant gave him that day to wear at his amusement park convention thing, which he will then afix awkwardly to his sportcoat in not quite the right place and ever so slightly crooked. (HINT: Above the breast pocket Bob, not on it)

Walt-Disney-World-Gondola-System_Full_34065.jpg

Then Bob will stride confidently on stage with a big smile and a wave (remember how you practiced it Bob!). Then he will read his TelePrompter speech, remember really hard to smile, and say the following without once saying the word "Marvel" to please the lawyers;

"Meanwhile, right here in Anaheim, we continue to work on bringing all of your favorite superheros to life in an immersive new land, a land that's really an entire superhero universe, that will further the evolution of Disney California Adventure. In the years ahead you'll be slinging webs with Spiderman, enjoying immersive new dining experiences with superheros who have surprisingly elevated cooking skills, and immersing yourself in a heroic universe surrounded by the powerful stories that you know and love. Plus, this universe will also have a few surprises that will immerse you in new hero stories yet to be told. These epic new superhero experiences and adventures at Disney California Adventure promise to be truly immersive, and we're looking forward to immersing YOU, our latest recruits, into this amazing new universe early next decade! (SMILE)"

You just killed it Bob, you totally killed it! Now it's back to the Green Room for a drink with John Lassete.... Oh, wait. Never mind.

0716_ocr-l-d23parks1211.jpg

But seriously, you totally killed it Bob! See you in two years at D23 Expo 2021! Give your nametag to the girl, she'll save it for you.

Last edited:

Hatbox Ghostbuster

My D23 Expo Prediction:

Bob Chapek will go onstage in a dark sportcoat that doesn't really match his trousers and with no necktie, and a shiny new "Bob" nametag an assistant gave him that day to wear at his amusement park convention thing, which he will then afix awkwardly to his sportcoat in not quite the right place and ever so slightly crooked. (HINT: Above the breast pocket Bob, not on it)

Then Bob will stride confidently on stage with a big smile and a wave (remember how you practiced it Bob!). Then he will read his TelePrompter speech, remember really hard to smile, and say the following without once saying the word "Marvel" to please the lawyers;

"Meanwhile, right here in Anaheim, we continue to work on bringing all of your favorite superheros to life in an immersive new land at Disney California Adventure. In the years ahead you'll be slinging webs with Spiderman, enjoying immersive new dining experiences with superheros who have surprisingly elevated cooking skills, and immersing yourself in the stories that you know and love, plus a few surprises that will immerse you in new stories yet to be told. These major new superhero additions to Disney California Adventure promise to be truly immersive, and we're looking forward to immersing our guests into them early next decade!"

You just killed it Bob, you totally killed it! Now it's back to the Green Room for a drink with John Lassete.... Oh, wait. Never mind.

But seriously, you totally killed it Bob! See you in two years at D23 Expo 2021! Give your nametag to the girl, she'll save it for you.
I can hear his voice so clearly in that...its not even funny. Though I did laugh a lot.

PacNWTigger

Hmmm...synonyms for immersing...entrancing, alluring, enthralling, riveting, and maybe breathtaking. C'mon Disney a little bit of overkill to use the same word FIVE times in a single paragraph...:rolleyes:

mickEblu

My D23 Expo Prediction for August, 2019:

"Meanwhile, right here in Anaheim, we continue to work on bringing all of your favorite superheros to life in an immersive new land, a land that's really an entire superhero universe, that will further the evolution of Disney California Adventure. In the years ahead you'll be slinging webs with Spiderman, enjoying immersive new dining experiences with superheros who have surprisingly elevated cooking skills, and immersing yourself in a heroic universe surrounded by the powerful stories that you know and love. Plus, this universe will also have a few surprises that will immerse you in new hero stories yet to be told. These epic new superhero experiences and adventures at Disney California Adventure promise to be truly immersive, and we're looking forward to immersing YOU, our latest recruits, into this amazing new universe early next decade! (SMILE)"

This guy is the worst public speaker of all time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom