Rumor D23 2024 WDW Rumors, Predictions & Discussion

wutisgood

I think this will be most like the recent German production that was a pretty big hit.
Well now I have to watch the review of that. I have had a weird 6 months or so where work has not sent me to nyc since we hired a few new people in market and did not follow as closely to hear about the german production. I would assume it is possible this production was the off broadway test in a major market that was needed. Thanks for the info.

Comped

Is Disney trying to play the Feld relationship card a little bit too much? The only reason I could even think they would want to do this is if they were trying to acquire the company, it's an absolutely idiotic idea otherwise. Films about monster trucks and BMX racing and so forth do not make money in the US...
Oh my gosh.

It may be popular in terms of a film, but musically and story-wise, this will pale in comparison to Barnum. Because we know darn well they will not give it the same care that show got, and they will stick with the inaccuracies and whitewashing of historical events... Not to mention the not so great music!
Booking a London trip now.

Hercules is not an amazing idea for a Broadway show, as many of the action sequences are difficult to bring to life on a physical stage at best, and the music is not as overall memorable as many of the Renaissance films Disney has already adapted to the stage. There's a reason why they waited so long to do this, and why it effectively went out for licensing first, because the show just is not built for a Broadway audience. At least that's what I've heard.
I am actually shocked at this. I follow the main broadway forum and see a number of shows every year. This sold well at Papermill (which is a testing ground often for broadway shows) due to hype, but was largely panned.

It was generally thought that the show would need a lot of work off broadway or some other market before it would be a viable production. The hunchback production that had it's own problems but also ran at Papermill was largely much more liked as a production people wished for on broadway.

The performance of hercules in the park in nyc also happened a few summers ago, but that has a much more community theater vibe so a lot of the limitations of the show were more forgiven although people also did not see it as a broadway level test run.
If they wanted to bring a show over from Germany or elsewhere to Broadway (or the WE) that would sell out in minutes, they should just have finally gotten agreement with Equity to let them do Hunchback. Yes there have been problems in the past with the chorus, but it is a far better show than Hercules is to my understanding, and definitely one that Disney could much more easily sell out for years to come. I 100% agree with everything you've said here. It is definitely a weaker show than I would expect Disney to bring it this point, but they did Frozen so I don't know anymore. Then again I could probably turn this into a rant about Disney Theatrical mismanagement under Schumacher, from a content and operational perspective, but I'm sure that would be unproductive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom