Cuts at Disney

eliza61nyc

Well, according to AAA, it's almost a 5 (4.6). ;) Anyway, it is a beautiful hotel.

http://www.aaa.com/travelinfo/flori...isneys-grand-floridian-resort--spa-47903.html

AAA is a diamond rating which is totally different from the industry standard of 1-5 stars.

Disney itself does not say the GF is a 5 star hotel, what they say is it is it's "flagship" luxury hotel.

The problem with Disney is that they generally do evaluate themselves against other properties. Mandarian Orientals are 5 stars, 4 season hotels are 5 stars. that's the issue luxury travelers have, you are paying the same price as true 5 stars but basically you are paying for location.

I will say that hopefully most folks know not to pay the list price and get discounts.

pax_65

Disney is raising prices and offering upsell events to appeal to the more affluent guest. But cutting cast members and services causes the level of quality and service to decline, making the parks less appealing to the affluent guest. I agree with the original poster, who the heck is making these decisions? Yikes.

Goofyernmost

Let's not be silly!
OK, then lets not be stating that you haven't seen it happening so therefore it isn't. Then neither of us will be being "silly". There are many things that others have adamantly insisted are happening in the Disney Parks that I have not witnessed, but, I don't really doubt that they are happening. However, not to the degree that is being preached, but, what would we do without exaggeration.:)

draybook

OK, then lets not be stating that you haven't seen it happening so therefore it isn't. Then neither of us will be being "silly". There are many things that others have adamantly insisted are happening in the Disney Parks that I have not witnessed, but, I don't really doubt that they are happening. However, not to the degree that is being preached, but, what would we do without exaggeration.:)

If Jimmy Thick had a twin...

jimbaker84

Let's turn this back around. Have you witnessed CMs slacking off? In all of the years I've been visiting and as often as I have, I certainly haven't.
I think the majority of them are run off their feet most of the time. Any of the staff i have encountered have been great apart from a 2-3 table service waiters (based on over 20 years of dining at WDW).

Goofyernmost

If Jimmy Thick had a twin...
I probably should be insulted based on the way it is worded, but, since I don't have a clue who Jimmy Thick is or what particular "trait" you are referring to, I will just let it go.... for now!
Let's turn this back around. Have you witnessed CMs slacking off? In all of the years I've been visiting and as often as I have, I certainly haven't.
Not often lately, but, I have in the past and I have been going there for 35 years. What's your point? I'm not there 365/24 and neither are you. There are, I think I read, 75 to 80K employees there. I've probably seen about 200 that I have dealt with personally. All have been good, but, that doesn't mean that for every 10 there aren't 2 that don't do squat. Which is why we don't see them. Is there a reason why we think that those that don't hold up there end shouldn't be weeded from the good crop or are you implying that I think that all are bad. If you are then please tell me where I said that.

The ones that I did see were either standing there looking straight ahead or in a group talking and laughing among themselves and obviously avoiding any eye contact with anyone that looked like they needed help. They, I hope, are no longer there. My point from the beginning was that layoffs are an quick and easy way for businesses to get rid of deadwood. Has happened since the first employee was ever hired in the world right through now. A handy tool. A way to get the undesirables out without firing them and causing them difficulty in getting employment elsewhere. Just to be clear, they don't do layoffs just to get rid of those people, but, they do take advantage of a situation to incorporate that into the result.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I probably should be insulted based on the way it is worded, but, since I don't have a clue who Jimmy Thick is or what particular "trait" you are referring to, I will just let it go.... for now!

Not often lately, but, I have in the past and I have been going there for 35 years. What's your point? I'm not there 365/24 and neither are you. There are, I think I read, 75 to 80K employees there. I've probably seen about 200 that I have dealt with personally. All have been good, but, that doesn't mean that for every 10 there aren't 2 that don't do squat. Which is why we don't see them. Is there a reason why we think that those that don't hold up there end shouldn't be weeded from the good crop or are you implying that I think that all are bad. If you are then please tell me where I said that.

The ones that I did see were either standing there looking straight ahead or in a group talking and laughing among themselves and obviously avoiding any eye contact with anyone that looked like they needed help. They, I hope, are no longer there. My point from the beginning was that layoffs are an quick and easy way for businesses to get rid of deadwood. Has happened since the first employee was ever hired in the world right through now. A handy tool. A way to get the undesirables out without firing them and causing them difficulty in getting employment elsewhere. Just to be clear, they don't do layoffs just to get rid of those people, but, they do take advantage of a situation to incorporate that into the result.

Are you saying that you have witnessed every single one of the 75000 employees and feel confident that they are slacking off while you are watching?

Funny how you've seen this, heaven forbid that they talk amongst themselves for a minute in your presence.

Goofyernmost

Are you saying that you have witnessed every single one of the 75000 employees and feel confident that they are slacking off while you are watching?

Funny how you've seen this, heaven forbid that they talk amongst themselves for a minute in your presence.
For gods sake, why are you making this into something that was never said. I said originally that companies, including Disney, use layoff not only to cut down on expenses at a time that they decide necessary and they will also take advantage of that situation to get rid of bad employee's (sorry Cast Members) I never once said that all were bad, you however, have stated the impossible and stated that all are perfect and not a single CM might be slacking off. I don't think you would have to talk to many CM's (that do the job the way it is supposed to be done) before you will get an earful about the deadbeats that don't do anything but take up space. Now you can twist that around in many ways but, I really doubt that your argument will stand in a world of reality. You want to believe that they all are perfect, fine do so, but, please don't try and clutter the landscape with crap and say they all are in line waiting for their wings.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
For gods sake, why are you making this into something that was never said. I said originally that companies, including Disney, use layoff not only to cut down on expenses at a time that they decide necessary and they will also take advantage of that situation to get rid of bad employee's (sorry Cast Members) I never once said that all were bad, you however, have stated the impossible and stated that all are perfect and not a single CM might be slacking off. I don't think you would have to talk to many CM (that do the job the way it is supposed to be done) before you will get an earful about the deadbeats that don't do anything but take up space. Now you can twist that around in many ways but, I really doubt that your argument will stand in a world of reality. You want to believe that they all are perfect, fine do so, but, please don't try and clutter the landscape with crap and say they all are in line waiting for their wings.

Are you on property speaking to cast when they are all throwing each under the bus like that? How many? 1? 10? 50,000?

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
I listed it as room "serviced". Big difference. Funny how complex the English language is. One tiny seemingly insignificant letter can change the entire meaning. Besides they didn't say that or if they did, I wasn't quoting them. Not to mention that if Disney is going to cut anything it won't be something that makes them MORE money.

Room Service is what was stated, and I agree it's food service to the rooms not room cleaning services.

EricsBiscuit

Who knows maybe they're finding a way to do more with less. In 10 years there will be no ride operators. It will all be automated. Same goes for room service and any other jobs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom