Cuts at Disney

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
It's incredibly amazing that a place that has long lines, 2hour waits, people elbow to elbow is making cuts. The article mentions costs from the construction projects? One of the cuts mentioned is room service. Imagine paying 500.00 + Or more a night and not being able to get room service in a five star hotel. The other cut is to the child care club areas, it also mentions how popular they are? Why discontinue popular items that are in demand. Are these the moves of a 5 star resort? Who is making these decisions?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It's incredibly amazing that a place that has long lines, 2hour waits, people elbow to elbow is making cuts. The article mentions costs from the construction projects? One of the cuts mentioned is room service. Imagine paying 500.00 + Or more a night and not being able to get room service in a five star hotel. The other cut is to the child care club areas, it also mentions how popular they are? Why discontinue popular items that are in demand. Are these the moves of a 5 star resort? Who is making these decisions?

Disney has no 5 Star Hotel/Resorts.

Rumrunner

It seems cuts are the new motto at Disney. Supposedly they are making big bucks on Star Wars, Parks are packed, and resorts have an excellent occupancy rate. None of this makes sense-cutting park hours, treatment of cast members seems to be worse, and where are the pay raises. Hundreds of corporations in the recent days have given pay raises and bonuses-why not Disney? Cast members are great and would like to see them benefit from all of these profits and now lower tax rates.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
The article ???

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
The article ???

4 Rumored and Confirmed Cuts Happening at Walt Disney World
By Amanda Kondolojy, Saturday, January 13, 2018 05:33

Though Walt Disney World has been attracting more and more guests year over year, it looks like the ballooning costs of the resort's many construction projects are taking a toll on the resort, with several budget cuts being introduced in the past year. One of the biggest areas where cost-saving measures have been introduced recently has been the reduction of hotel perks, including room service and private dining at Disney's deluxe resorts. However, it looks like another round of cuts are coming to the resort, some of which we expected, but others which might surprise you!

1 Talking Mickey Mouse on Main Street USA could be going away in a few months

Mickey in Magic Kingdom

Image: Disney

According to several posters on the WDWMagic forums, it looks like the talking Mickey Mouse character who meets guests daily on Main Street USA at the Magic Kingdom may be going away in the near future. The technology that allows guests to “talk” to Mickey impressed when it first debuted in 2013, and this version of Mickey Mouse subsequently has become a guest favorite, especially among younger guests who enjoy the interactivity with the world’s most famous mouse.

However, according to the aforementioned reports Disney is looking at cost-cutting measures across the resort, and in the next few months talking Mickey Mouse will be replaced once again by regular Mickey Mouse at this location. This seems like a strange choice for cost-cutting as the savings for swapping one Mickey for another will be minimal but the guest impact could be considerable, as Mickey at the Magic Kingdom often has a wait time of an hour or more as guests wait longer to "talk" to Mickey in this location. Though unconfirmed by Disney, reports indicate that entertainment Cast Members have already been informed about the change, which could be coming as soon as May.

Goofyernmost

We have this discussion every single year about this time. Although it seems busy to us, the numbers, particularly those staying in the super expensive rooms onsite are less. That is where most of the cuts usually come from. As for the Talking Mickey, I think that since they are replacing him with a regular Mickey that there is another reason for cutting that one. There wouldn't be enough saved to be used as parking meter change. So, I cannot explain why Chatty Mickey is leaving, the resort hotels are quite simple. I'm sure that the $500.00 per night folks will still get their rooms serviced. You don't need 100 people to clean 50 rooms.

The 100 vs 50 is just a number I threw out there for affect. I'm sure that there are at least 60 rooms that need to be cleaned. :D

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
I think that if the WDW wasn't linked to the huge corporate money machine you would keep those hard working loyal staff and assign them to other dutys that would enhance guests experience until the occupancy returns. That's what I would hope they would do. Those folks need their jobs and need some loyalty from the company.

Goofyernmost

I would think that everyone that works there knows all about the seasonal cuts in staff. I'm sure that is covered in the indoctrination of a new hire. Of course, they all wish that it doesn't happen, but, it is usually just temporary and most are called back when demand rises. That is those that weren't just using up oxygen while they were supposedly working. First in / first out.

Chef Mickey

Floridian would not be 5 star? Surprising it's not.
In the world of luxury hotels, I’d rank it 3.5 stars, tops.

Disney doesn’t need to be very good here because the parks are the draw, unfortunately. They can improve, but I doubt they will. They do an excellent job and value and moderate, but deluxe resorts are really not good value in terms of money paid for service, quality, etc. The only good thing about the deluxe resorts is some of them are close to the parks. You’re essentially paying for location.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
I would think that everyone that works there knows all about the seasonal cuts in staff. I'm sure that is covered in the indoctrination of a new hire. Of course, they all wish that it doesn't happen, but, it is usually just temporary and most are called back when demand rises. That is those that weren't just using up oxygen while they were supposedly working. First in / first out.
I have owned a few businesses and worked as a manager and have a pretty good eye for slugs. I have to say I always check out the workers around the parks and hotels and never see what I categorize as slugs. It's a credit to the company. Many times I see folks doing the labor type jobs working very hard.

Goofyernmost

I have owned a few businesses and worked as a manager and have a pretty good eye for slugs. I have to say I always check out the workers around the parks and hotels and never see what I categorize as slugs. It's a credit to the company. Many times I see folks doing the labor type jobs working very hard.
Are you saying that you have witnessed every single one of the 75000 employees and feel confident that none of the are slacking off while you are watching?

NelleBelle

I'm sure that the $500.00 per night folks will still get their rooms serviced. You don't need 100 people to clean 50 rooms.
Perhaps they mean "room service" as in no food being delivered to you room. That's what I tend to think of when I think of "room service." I can't imagine even the value resorts would not have their rooms made up daily, especially if we just went through a big thread on security checks and mousekeeping being on the frontlines of checking rooms daily.

Goofyernmost

Perhaps they mean "room service" as in no food being delivered to you room. That's what I tend to think of when I think of "room service." I can't imagine even the value resorts would not have their rooms made up daily, especially if we just went through a big thread on security checks and mousekeeping being on the frontlines of checking rooms daily.
I listed it as room "serviced". Big difference. Funny how complex the English language is. One tiny seemingly insignificant letter can change the entire meaning. Besides they didn't say that or if they did, I wasn't quoting them. Not to mention that if Disney is going to cut anything it won't be something that makes them MORE money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom