Current COVID Precaution Status at Disneyland

erstwo

Original Poster
Hi All - I did read through two threads in this Disneyland section - one on masks and one on proof of vaccination - but both had kind of 'diverged' from their original topic.

The Disneyland website indicates 'the state of California strongly recommends all guests be vaccinated prior to entering Disneyland" - is that still the case? Just a suggestion that we be vaccinated? The thread on proof of vaccination made me question if the website was up to date...?
In my state, two (2) shots are considered "fully vaccinated" - I'm "fully vaccinated plus a booster" because I've had three vaccine shots. But when I travel to NYC - it takes three (3) shots make me "fully vaccinated".

I'll be in Disneyland over President's Day weekend in February with my son - my son has only had two (2) shots and he's pretty much over this whole COVID thing. :arghh: Not sure I can convince him to get a third shot unless it's going to be required to get into Disneyland. Will he need a third vaccine shot?

Do we need to bring our vaccination cards? My husband and I brought our vaccine cards out to California last summer when we traveled from LA to Paso Robles and it was never required anywhere we went - has that changed? (This is more for my peace of mind if I realize mid flight that my son forgot to bring his vaccine card or something..... ;) ) Haven't been in southern California since August, so not sure if things have changed?

Anything else? I see we'll need masks (understand that the mandate ends February 15 but somehow I'm thinking it might be extended again...)

Not planning to travel outside of LA this trip. Thanks for any help you all can provide!!

TP2000

As Wendy said, you won't be asked for anything but money if you try to enter Disneyland. ;)

Orange County has no vaccine mandate, and Disneyland (and all other OC businesses) just put up that legal disclaimer to satisfy Sacramento.

Now, if you leave Orange County and go up to LA County, that's a completely different ballgame and situation. You must show proof of vaccination to get into restaurants, theme parks, etc. in LA.

San Diego County and Orange County are of the same socio-political mindset and have no county mandates on masks or vaccines, but LA County is almost 180 degrees different. If you are flying into John Wayne (always recommended) and avoiding LA County entirely, you've nothing to worry about. But if you have to fly into LAX (we'll pray for you) and some of your visit is inside LA County, then you'll need to bring proof of full vaccination to participate in society.

At this time, LA County is not mandating booster shots. Just 2 shots of Pfizer or Moderna, or 1 shot of Johnson&Johnson. Because politicians like to make things easy, there are two different guidelines between the County of Los Angeles and the City of Los Angeles.

LA is a place where you need to have a vaccine card ready to show the hostess/clerk/doorman/barista/barber/etc.

Blank-1920-x-1080-4.png

TP2000

I don't get out much, but I've never been asked for vaccine card anywhere in LA nor Palm Springs.

That's good to hear. I don't know that it's any restaurant hostesses business what vaccinations I have had, or what my overall health status is like. HIV? Hepatitis? Obesity? If my BMI is 32, am I allowed to be served dessert?

I imagine that in most of LA (the city or the county) vaccination checks are about like wearing a mask in OC. You can wear a mask, you can not wear a mask, but no one is going to make a fuss if you don't wear a mask in OC.

The only time I've gone up to LA County recently was before Christmas, to a swanky old restaurant in Pico Rivera of all places that knows me, and the head hostess (who is an absolute doll!) didn't mention anything to me other than she was saving a good banquette for my party and would I mind waiting in the bar with a martini for a few minutes for it? Of course not! Lead the way... She didn't even make us go through the theater of putting masks on to walk into the bar and order drinks.

(Although Palm Springs is in Riverside County. I'm heading out there for a family thing this spring, does Palm Springs city have a vaccine requirement? We'll be in Rancho Mirage, technically, but like to dine in Palm Springs.)

Last edited:

TP2000

Oh... shoot. Our OP @erstwo started this thread as a way to politely ask what a tourist needs to know about current Disneyland Covid requirements to get in and spend the day there with her family. And here I am already mucking it all up with talk of restaurant hostesses. I'm sorry! :rolleyes:

As a way of apologizing, I offer this basic overview of current vaccine and mask restrictions for theme parks and major airports in SoCal based on various county and city websites and personal experience as of this evening...

County of Los Angeles (Universal Studios, Six Flags Magic Mountain, Long Beach Airport) =
Vaccine Proof (no booster required) officially needed for access to theme parks and bars/nightclubs. (If they actually ask for it is up to them, or up to the individual employee from one moment to the next)

City of Los Angeles (LAX Intl. Airport) =
Vaccine Proof (no booster required) officially needed for access to restaurants, bars, stores, most public services. (If they actually ask for it is up to them, or up to the individual employee from one moment to the next)

County of Orange (Disneyland Resort, Knott's Berry Farm, John Wayne Intl. Airport) =
No vaccine proof required for any business, no mask mandate for any location at the county level, very sketchy enforcement of any statewide Covid mandate at stores and restaurants (basically the state mandate on masks in OC is up to the restaurant hostess or shopclerk who may be crabby that day, but I've never had anyone ask me to put on a mask anywhere in OC yet). That said, individual theme parks may have masking requirements on their property.

County of San Diego (Sea World, Legoland, San Diego Zoo, San Diego Intl. Airport) =
No vaccine proof required for any business. Masking just as casual and non-enforced as Orange County (seems moreso actually in my experience because it's even further from LA). Individual theme parks may have specific masking requirements on their property.

Last edited:

erstwo

Original Poster
Thank you everyone! It seems like no matter what you 'hear' things are different when you arrive and sometimes the official online answers are confusing 'per the state of xyz...full vaccination or a negative COVID test within the last 24 hours is required....' sometimes turns into 'we're only letting you in if you're fully vaccinated' and now "fully vaccinated" means a different number of shots. Fun times!
This really has helped though - so thank you again!

Phroobar

Thank you everyone! It seems like no matter what you 'hear' things are different when you arrive and sometimes the official online answers are confusing 'per the state of xyz...full vaccination or a negative COVID test within the last 24 hours is required....' sometimes turns into 'we're only letting you in if you're fully vaccinated' and now "fully vaccinated" means a different number of shots. Fun times!
This really has helped though - so thank you again!
Regardless of the rules, go get your shots and have a great time. It's not really that hard.

el_super

Brady MacDonald had some sage advice in the OC Register today:

Here’s what I told them and what I would tell anybody who asks.​
The first thing I would say is you don’t have to go to Disneyland right now — no matter how much you want to or your kids beg you. If you’re not ready, stay home. Disneyland has been there for 67 years and will almost certainly be there for another 67 years. The pandemic will eventually end and you can visit Disneyland when health officials give the all-clear sign.​
[ ... ]​
My best advice: Adhere to the recommendations health officials have offered throughout the pandemic. Get vaccinated. Wear a mask. Maintain social distancing. Avoid high-touch surfaces. Wash and sanitize your hands frequently.​

That's good to hear. I don't know that it's any restaurant hostesses business what vaccinations I have had, or what my overall health status is like. HIV? Hepatitis? Obesity? If my BMI is 32, am I allowed to be served dessert?

I imagine that in most of LA (the city or the county) vaccination checks are about like wearing a mask in OC. You can wear a mask, you can not wear a mask, but no one is going to make a fuss if you don't wear a mask in OC.

The only time I've gone up to LA County recently was before Christmas, to a swanky old restaurant in Pico Rivera of all places that knows me, and the head hostess (who is an absolute doll!) didn't mention anything to me other than she was saving a good banquette for my party and would I mind waiting in the bar with a martini for a few minutes for it? Of course not! Lead the way... She didn't even make us go through the theater of putting masks on to walk into the bar and order drinks.

(Although Palm Springs is in Riverside County. I'm heading out there for a family thing this spring, does Palm Springs city have a vaccine requirement? We'll be in Rancho Mirage, technically, but like to dine in Palm Springs.)
Live in Palm Springs and most restaurants in Palm Springs itself requires proof of vaccination. Cathedral city, rancho mirage, la Quinta, and Indio do not require proof. However have a mask handy because regardless of mask mandates most businesses still require face masks.

erstwo

Original Poster
Thanks again everyone!

I have another question, but didn't want to start another thread - so if you happen by here and wouldn't mind helping out ........ - Any opinion on the lockers in the Disneyland 'Picnic Area' being big enough for a carry on suitcase? We arrive pretty early on Friday - maybe even too early for early check in at our hotel. I can't seem to find any images online of anyone actually storing a suitcase in a locker at Disneyland (evidently - based on google searches- the ones at the picnic area are the only ones large enough to hold a suitcase - which makes sense because I assume it's outside the park.) I've never used a Disney locker before. I have used the luggage storage area at Disneyland Paris, but that was like bell services at a WDW hotel - it was a room with an attendant, so no worries about my luggage not fitting!

Phroobar

Thanks again everyone!

I have another question, but didn't want to start another thread - so if you happen by here and wouldn't mind helping out ........ - Any opinion on the lockers in the Disneyland 'Picnic Area' being big enough for a carry on suitcase? We arrive pretty early on Friday - maybe even too early for early check in at our hotel. I can't seem to find any images online of anyone actually storing a suitcase in a locker at Disneyland (evidently - based on google searches- the ones at the picnic area are the only ones large enough to hold a suitcase - which makes sense because I assume it's outside the park.) I've never used a Disney locker before. I have used the luggage storage area at Disneyland Paris, but that was like bell services at a WDW hotel - it was a room with an attendant, so no worries about my luggage not fitting!
It might work.

download.jpg

download (1).jpg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Thanks again everyone!

Most hotels in the area will hold your bags prior to check-in to allow you to go to the Park. So depending on the hotel you're staying at this might be a better option for you.

truecoat

Thanks again everyone!

Just beware that if it's busy, the lockers may be sold out.

TP2000

Just beware that if it's busy, the lockers may be sold out.

True.

Those picnic area lockers are pretty big. As the photos above show, they would easily fit any carryon luggage that a US airline would allow you to bring onboard. It's about a 21 inch height standard for carryons with US airlines, and those lockers seem at least 24 inches deep.

But if it's a piece of luggage that a US airline would require you to check, your looking at also not fitting in the picnic lockers.

TP2000

I just had this thought @erstwo...

What's the current rules on taking luggage/suitcases past the Security checkpoints? You may have to let Security go through the suitcase, but then the Disneyland.com webpage about their lockers is all rather vague. There's no information about the size of the lockers available, or any information about what may or may not be kept in them. Luggage? Food? Electronic equipment? They don't say.

They only seem to offer information about the cost of various locker sizes, from $7 per day to $15 per day.

I don't want to cause you concern or make this more convoluted than it already is, but it might be worth trying to call Disneyland's info line to get the real information from a CM on their locker rules and security processes for luggage because their own webpage is rather vague. (714) 781-INFO

Sailor310

"There's no information about the size of the lockers available, or any information about what may or may not be kept in them. Luggage? Food? Electronic equipment? They don't say."

Back in the day, since the lockers surround a picnic area, they allowed folks to bring in outside food, store it in lockers, then have a nice picnic meal. (Though the area is all concrete and gets hot)

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Most hotels in the area will hold your bags prior to check-in to allow you to go to the Park. So depending on the hotel you're staying at this might be a better option for you.
I was thinking the same thing. I do this all the time in Vegas. I guess it would all depend on when their flight gets in, how far the hotel is from the parks, and how much time they are willing to lose by going to the hotel first.

Back in early 2020 when I still had my Flex AP, I flew in on a Saturday morning and flew out Sunday evening. My flight landed at 8:45am and by the time I de-boarded, called my Lyft, and got to the parks it was about 9:30ish. I was staying at the Hilton Anaheim, so if I would have stopped at the hotel first to drop off my bag, then walked to the parks it probably would have been between 10:00 and 10:30 when I got there. I wanted to maximize my time in the parks and I only had a backpack since I was staying one night. That made bag check interesting with clothes and toiletries. As TP said above, they will need to go through the luggage at the security check and the OP needs to be ready for that.

So yeah, if the hotel is fairly close and they don't want to deal with security check they can probably just call the hotel now and see if they offer holding the luggage.

Phroobar

I was thinking the same thing. I do this all the time in Vegas. I guess it would all depend on when their flight gets in, how far the hotel is from the parks, and how much time they are willing to lose by going to the hotel first.

Back in early 2020 when I still had my Flex AP, I flew in on a Saturday morning and flew out Sunday evening. My flight landed at 8:45am and by the time I de-boarded, called my Lyft, and got to the parks it was about 9:30ish. I was staying at the Hilton Anaheim, so if I would have stopped at the hotel first to drop off my bag, then walked to the parks it probably would have been between 10:00 and 10:30 when I got there. I wanted to maximize my time in the parks and I only had a backpack since I was staying one night. That made bag check interesting with clothes and toiletries. As TP said above, they will need to go through the luggage at the security check and the OP needs to be ready for that.

So yeah, if the hotel is fairly close and they don't want to deal with security check they can probably just call the hotel now and see if they offer holding the luggage.
I don't know why Disney won't invest in x-ray scanners like airports and Universal Studios has. Do I really need a guy with a stick poking through my unmentionables?

TrojanUSC

I don't know why Disney won't invest in x-ray scanners like airports and Universal Studios has. Do I really need a guy with a stick poking through my unmentionables?

At WDW before the high-tech scanners they have now, a security guard literally took my friend's retainer out of its case and rolled it around in her hand. I understand looking for weapons, but this idea that they should be searching every nook and cranny is ridiculous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom