Cruella De Vil Live-Action Movie

DCBaker

Premium Member
"As Cruella heads into its second weekend, The Hollywood Reporter has learned the studio behind the Emma Stone-starrer is in early development on a sequel. Cruella director Craig Gillespie and screenwriter Tony McNamara are expected to return for a sequel to the film that stars Stone as fan-favorite One Hundred and One Dalmatians villainess Cruella de Vil.

Cruella debuted May 28 simultaneously in theaters and on Disney+ under the streaming service’s Premier Access tier, making it available to purchase for $30. The film has earned $48.5 million globally. It received positive reviews and has been praised for its 1970s punk rock aesthetic."

“We are very pleased with Cruella’s box office success, in conjunction with its strong Disney+ Premier Access performance to date,” a Disney spokesperson said in a statement. “The film has been incredibly well received by audiences around the world, with a 97% Audience Score on Rotten Tomatoes in addition to A’s in every demographic from CinemaScore on opening weekend, ranking it among the most popular of our live-action reimaginings. We look forward to a long run as audiences continue to enjoy this fantastic film.”

Tony Perkis

"As Cruella heads into its second weekend, The Hollywood Reporter has learned the studio behind the Emma Stone-starrer is in early development on a sequel. Cruella director Craig Gillespie and screenwriter Tony McNamara are expected to return for a sequel to the film that stars Stone as fan-favorite One Hundred and One Dalmatians villainess Cruella de Vil.

Cruella debuted May 28 simultaneously in theaters and on Disney+ under the streaming service’s Premier Access tier, making it available to purchase for $30. The film has earned $48.5 million globally. It received positive reviews and has been praised for its 1970s punk rock aesthetic."

“We are very pleased with Cruella’s box office success, in conjunction with its strong Disney+ Premier Access performance to date,” a Disney spokesperson said in a statement. “The film has been incredibly well received by audiences around the world, with a 97% Audience Score on Rotten Tomatoes in addition to A’s in every demographic from CinemaScore on opening weekend, ranking it among the most popular of our live-action reimaginings. We look forward to a long run as audiences continue to enjoy this fantastic film.”

I’ve seen the sequel. It was released in 1961.

Animaniac93-98

Interesting they would consider a Cruella sequel after what happened to the sequels for Alice in Wonderland and Maleficent.

But we also know sequels have been worked on for Jungle Book, Lion King, Aladdin etc. It may or may not happen in the end.

gerarar

Premium Member
My family and I just got out of the theater. What a fun movie overall. Was not expecting that at all. The cast was phenomenal and the imagery as well.

This is my second movie in theaters since the original closure (Tenet being my first) and it was a packed house. Everyone seemed to be laughing and enjoying the movie as was I. My family agreed and thanked me for bringing them along lol.

After the surprise Aladdin was (in a good way), it’s nice to see another well-made live action from Disney.

Last edited by a moderator:

DVCscott

But we also know sequels have been worked on for Jungle Book, Lion King, Aladdin etc. It may or may not happen in the end.
I really can't see what much more they can do for a Lion King sequel. Remake Simba's Pride? The Jungle Book might have some possibilities. For the Aladdin sequel, I'm glad they are not rehashing Return Of Jafar all over again. Yes he will have a strong presence as he tries again to invade the kingdom of Shirabad that he was so obsessed with. Aladdin and Genie's side quest of looking for jams seems corny, but could work. Overall I am not a big sequel guy. Very few have impressed me.

khlaylav

I really can't see what much more they can do for a Lion King sequel. Remake Simba's Pride? The Jungle Book might have some possibilities. For the Aladdin sequel, I'm glad they are not rehashing Return Of Jafar all over again. Yes he will have a strong presence as he tries again to invade the kingdom of Shirabad that he was so obsessed with. Aladdin and Genie's side quest of looking for jams seems corny, but could work. Overall I am not a big sequel guy. Very few have impressed me.
AFAIK, Disney is doing a hybrid sequel/prequel for Lion King 2. I think they're looking for actors for young Mufasa and Scar to explore the "origins of Mufasa." Granted, that's from last year, but ya never know. And Barry Jenkins is a very good director. So we'll see.

champdisney

Interesting they would consider a Cruella sequel after what happened to the sequels for Alice in Wonderland and Maleficent.

I never really considered Alice and Wonderland to be THE live-action remake to the 1951 animated classic. The 2010 Alice in Wonderland by Tim Burton is an entirely reimagining of the Lewis Carroll story. Hardly anything in that film resembles what we’ve seen before in the original Disney version. Even with the films and books sharing the same title, Burton’s 2010 film was more of a sequel.

Alice’s Return to Wonderland... if you will. I don’t know what Disney considers it to be. Regardless, the success of 2010’s Alice in Wonderland is what started the whole live-action remake trend.

I think after a few more years, we’ll eventually get another live-action Alice in Wonderland that’s closely inspired by the animated classic.

The sequels to Alice and Wonderland and Maleficent were not very good and poorly received at the box office. While I heavily enjoyed 2010’s Alice and Wonderland, I did not care for it’s sequel. As for Maleficent... neither of those films impressed me. Part 2 was a complete waste of time and was something Disney produced as quick cash-grab. As for Cruella, I actually enjoyed it. There were some dumb things about it but those were things I can overlook.

I was hoping that Cruella would stand on its own, in a similar way as to how Joker stands on its own compared to the rest of what Warner Bros has going on with the rest of their DC films. Apparently, Disney hasn’t learned from its history, which leads me to...

AFAIK, Disney is doing a hybrid sequel/prequel for Lion King 2. I think they're looking for actors for young Mufasa and Scar to explore the "origins of Mufasa." Granted, that's from last year, but ya never know. And Barry Jenkins is a very good director. So we'll see.
What is in the works for Lion King 2 is apparently the same approach Emma Stone and Emma Thompson want to head into for the second installment of Cruella.

A hybrid sequel/prequel in the same vein as The Godfather Part II. Cruella would dive deeper into the mother/daughter dynamic. An element that we saw in Cruella in which I thought was pretty self-explanatory. Baroness is a narcissistic psychopath that would go as far as killing her only daughter as a means of staying “on top”. What is there really to explore?

Then again, this is wishful thinking from its stars. Lord knows where they’ll go with the sequel. I for one would forget about remaking 101 Dalmatians. It’s pretty difficult to picture this new version of the character as being one to suddenly flip the switch and go after puppies in order to serve her own selfish needs. Then again, who am I kidding? Its been set up at the end of the film. A setup that I thought was dumb.

So it’s going to be made.

Fox&Hound

Saw it last night and absolutely loved it. Was so much better than it had any right to be. Leads actors were fantastic and it was a solid movie. I highly recommend it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Nielsen's top ten lists for streamers is about a month behind, and so, we welcome Cruella's appearance on the list.

So, for the week ending 5/30/21, 280 Million minutes of Cruella was watched. That's 2.154 Million views of the movie.

At $30 a pop, that's $65M income unshared with theaters for the first week on D+.

Now, as has been discussed in Raya's thread, Disney films do tend to be rewatched... a lot. Moana and Frozen 2, e.g., keep showing up on the top ten movies streamed every week for the past four months. OTOH, Cruella is not a musical, which is often the hallmark of a most-watched movie.

So, depending on one's guesstimate of rewatches, if you take off a percentage, then Cruella's income on premium streaming in its first week is...

- 0% = $65M
-10% = $59M
-20% = $52M
-30% = $46M
-40% = $39M
-50% = $33M

In theaters: $162M worldwide (as a rule of thumb, Disney would get half of that: $81M).

Last edited:

khlaylav

Nielsen's top ten lists for streamers is about a month behind, and so, we welcome Cruella's appearance on the list.

So, for the week ending 5/30/21, 280 Million minutes of Cruella was watched. That's 2.154 Million views of the movie.

At $30 a pop, that's $65M income unshared with theaters for the first week on D+.

Now, as has been discussed in Raya's thread, Disney films do tend to be rewatched... a lot. Moana and Frozen 2, e.g., keep showing up on the top ten movies streamed every week for the past four months. OTOH, Cruella is not a musical, which is often the hallmark of a most-watched movie.

So, depending on one's guesstimate of rewatches, if you take off a percentage, then Cruella's income on premium streaming in its first 5 weeks is...

- 0% = $65M
-10% = $59M
-20% = $52M
-30% = $46M
-40% = $39M
-50% = $33M

In theaters: $162M worldwide (as a rule of thumb, Disney would get half of that: $81M).
Forgive me for asking this, but with Premier Access, people buy it and then can watch it like another movie on the service, right? So I plop down $30 for Cruella or Mulan or whatever else movie then I can watch it like Frozen 2 or Moana over and over again. So how can you tell that every minute watched is a new $30?

Ripken10

Forgive me for asking this, but with Premier Access, people buy it and then can watch it like another movie on the service, right? So I plop down $30 for Cruella or Mulan or whatever else movie then I can watch it like Frozen 2 or Moana over and over again. So how can you tell that every minute watched is a new $30?
Read the bottom of his post. That is what the percentages are talking about.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

So, depending on one's guesstimate of rewatches, if you take off a percentage, then Cruella's income on premium streaming in its first week is...

- 0% = $65M
-10% = $59M
-20% = $52M
-30% = $46M
-40% = $39M
-50% = $33M

For the week ending 6/6/21, 362 Million minutes of Cruella was watched. At 130 minutes runtime, that's 2.785 Million views of the movie for the week.

Adding in last week's number, at $30 a pop, that's $148M income unshared with theaters for the first week on D+.

So, depending on one's guesstimate of rewatches, if you take off a percentage, then Cruella's income on premium streaming is...

- 0% = $148M
-10% = $133M
-20% = $118M
-30% = $104M
-40% = $89M
-50% = $74M

Add to that: In theaters, the Box Office is $205M worldwide (as a rule of thumb, Disney would get half of that: $103M).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom