Crowds vs Economy

Gravydeen

Do people still not believe the economy is going to effect crowd levels over the next few months? I know previous discussions regarding gas prices and economy in general have come to the conclusion that it would not have much effect, but things are starting to look pretty serious. I have never been nervous in the least about the recessions of the past due to the fact that they have been mostly politically exaggerated, but not this time. I would guess that most people who might plan a trip far in advance might not want to cancel but I would think you have a lot of people who plan last minute trips that will decide not to. You also have to consider that your opinion is probably not the norm since most on this site are a little over the top(including me). Thanks for your input.

RiversideBunny

It's 2009 that may feel the effects. The rest of this year is already pretty much in place for WDW trips.

Watch and see if Disney cancels any performances of Hoop De Do, particularly the late show. That attraction is an indicator for how things are going.

IMHO
:)

Upvote 0

jmicro59

I would have to agree with you. The people that planned their their trips well in advance of this economic down turn are probably still goign to enjoy their trip. They will probably not spend as much while at WDW but their trip will still go forward. The last minutes planners are going to think twice about going, IMO so with this in mind I'm sure attendance is being affected but I would only estimate a 3-5% change which I'm sure WDW is concerned with but not really alarmed with.
As others have stated here WDW will take the normal cost cutting steps to address any $$$ being lost as would any business.

Upvote 0

Kelsybelle

I was wondering the samething. I wasn't shocked when friends of mine decided not to have their annual "girls weekend" to WDW this year because of the price of last minute flights.

Upvote 0

durangojim

I hate to say it, but I see 2009 at post 9/11 crowd levels. Between the increase in airfares, room and ticket rates, I think WDW will be seen as more of a "luxury" thank in the past couple of years. I think this will lead to some great incentives to stay on property, the beginning of which we are starting to see (the new free ticket on your birthday, although not directly related to staying on property is one of these incentives). I am not a forecaster of doom and gloom but the economy is not in a great position, and I think for the majority of people that travel to WDW it is an expense that has been saved for for months or years and therefore can be applied to a mortgage or college education if the need be. Just my $0.02.

Upvote 0

coltow

Although I'm not changing my vacation plans I have changed my food plans. We originally had 8 TS meals planned. I had to call today and cancel 3 of them. We had already decided not to get DDP so this is going to be money out of pocket and it just added up quick. And I think I'll be bringing more snacks with me from home to take to the parks too.

Upvote 0

kasey1988

It makes me wonder to if the crowds will be noticably smaller, were heading down next spring, end of april-begining of may.
Maybe disney will offer free dining or free upgraded tickets like theyve done in the past during slower times?

Upvote 0

futurepres

I was there last week on business and part family vacation and talked to some former managers, all of whom stated that there is a certain slowdown, particularly in the parks. I see it with my business, competitors businesses, and countless other areas of the economy.

With regards to the parks, we were at DAK last week and what I was so shocked by is that while it is a slower time of the year, there were no more than 6-8 people in any line for the characters over in CMM. Even Mickey Mouse had just us and a few others.

Not everyone will notice the effects and it's more easily seen when dealing with it directly as with what I do, but it's a very different realm from even a year ago.

2009 ought to be interesting.

Upvote 0

Cubs Brian

I think a lot of people may not altogether cancel their vacations, but rather adjust them, Maybe things like, driving vs flying, shorter stays, staying in moderates or valueresorts instead of deluxe or dare I say staying off property, in Comfort Inns and Super 8's. Personally I'd postpone my trip for a year before I'd stay outside of the World.

Upvote 0

CoasterKing

I too believe 2009 will be much slower, especially the 2nd half of 2009. Disney has already begun cost cutting; closure of PI, cutting back Fantasmic, etc.

Here's hoping for big discounts on 2009 disney vacation packages and more free dining. :animwink:

CoasterKing :king:

Upvote 0

haveyoumetmark

I too believe 2009 will be much slower, especially the 2nd half of 2009. Disney has already begun cost cutting; closure of PI, cutting back Fantasmic, etc.

Here's hoping for big discounts on 2009 disney vacation packages and more free dining. :animwink:

CoasterKing :king:

Aren't they closing PI to add more stuff? Sure enough, it's already slower than the last few years. This off season, I was surprised at how many people weren't there. We also hit up Universal last Monday, it was SO dead. I was just surprised.

Upvote 0

H20Babie

I know that I am not planning a WDW vacation in 2009, but that's because after 11 trips in 10 years (including 2 in 2008), (1) my job will not let me go on vacation other than peak/holiday times after our December '08 trip and (2) my son will be at an age where we can go to other vacation destinations :)eek: ... :lol:). As a single parent, WDW was and is the best vacation alternative for us. However, we are looking at some of the Adventures by Disney packages for 2009, so Disney will still get the majority of my vacation fund :rolleyes:. We are, however, planning to go back to WDW in 2010 with my brother's family, once his "kids are old enough" (his words).

Upvote 0

smk

I am going to Orlando in a few days :sohappy: going early to play then attend a conference. I am currently working as much OT at work as I can so we can still play in the parks, eat where we want and what we want. I am fortunate that my housing and transportation costs will be refunded to me upon my return and handing over reciepts etc...but I am planning ahead for extra money we may need to do what we want.

I am so looking forward to this trip and I am kinda glad the crowd levels will be lower although I am sad about the reasons people can't go. WDW is not going anywhere, when the economy gets better people will go back just like before. I will go back too, I will work OT and save and hope to get back there in the next year. If that doesn't happen I will visit here a lot and keep saving. It is my happy place and I will always gravitate back there, especially when times are bad.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

We are thinking of doing an Adventures By Disney trip this summer with extended family. Even if we don't do that trip, we will seriously think twice about returning to WDW for summer vacation. Now if they offer some crazy deals then we might return again.

Upvote 0
Do people still not believe the economy is going to effect crowd levels over the next few months? I know previous discussions regarding gas prices and economy in general have come to the conclusion that it would not have much effect, but things are starting to look pretty serious. I have never been nervous in the least about the recessions of the past due to the fact that they have been mostly politically exaggerated, but not this time. I would guess that most people who might plan a trip far in advance might not want to cancel but I would think you have a lot of people who plan last minute trips that will decide not to. You also have to consider that your opinion is probably not the norm since most on this site are a little over the top(including me). Thanks for your input.

I believe that Disney is already planning for a slight decrease in attendance, as seen by their cutting of park shows and park hours and an increase in exclusive parties which offer a better revenue, because some go all day therefore double the revenue.

Also, I believe that the times which may hurt the most are 2nd week of January through 2nd week in March, then you go into Spring Break/Easter Season and then 3rd week of April through 1st week in June. Then summer travel season begins. Finally September up to Halloween parties.

Also, I think any year that Disney Cruises go away from Port canaveral for an extended time hurts the Disney Parks, because many cruise passengers are also park attendees. But, maybe in 2010 Disneyland Paris will have an increase in attendance.

Upvote 0

Christi22222

I am very curious how this economic environment will affect the DVC. I am one of the folks that is bummed that Disney appears to be focusing tons of $$$ and other resources on DVC to the exclusion of improving the parks and the rest of the world. Now if credit is tight and banks don't lend, how does this work with a time share purchase? Does Disney do in house financing and this won't be a concern? But even then, don't THEY in turn have to get that credit themselves? I am way out of my league on this stuff an am very interested. Anyone have any useful info? This just seems like one area where it would be quite easy to be over-leveraged. How can folks buy/keep a time share if they can't afford their house payments? How can Disney finance them if no one else will finance folks for houses or even cars? Hmmm.......

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom