News Crossroads Plaza Faces Demoliton

Brian

I used to live just off 535 and had to take this stretch of road every day. It probably took me 20 minutes to go 500 feet. Count me in for this plan!

R W B

I've driven by Crossroads atleast a few dozen times on my trips to WDW and always said I'd like to atleast drive in it and see what it's all about and we finally did on our last trip last month. Didn't stop anywhere though.

I think Id rather the traffic issue fixed.

JWG

We used to regularly do Goodings! Now we go to Super Target and we eat further down at Olive Garden, Giordano's, Macaroni Grill, etc. and haven't been in Crossroads for some time. Though I would be sad to see those options go. In the days of Uber, I suppose an extra couple of miles to something isn't as big of a deal as it once was.

TeriofTerror

Anyone else feel a little nostalgic about the Crossroads? My very first stop used to be Goodings every time we landed.

We always go there for dinner one or two nights. This past trip was just Denny's, but we still went.
Yes! I went to that Goodings years ago as we were leaving WDW with no clue when we'd be back. I bought several pounds of Jelly Bellies and ate with tears silently running down my face all the way back to northern Ohio. To this day, my husband and daughter buy me Jelly Bellies whenever I'm extremely depressed. :happy:

CJR

This version will still have a traffic light and or toll booth at the bottom of the ramp for traffic headed westbound on 535 which is one of the fundamental issues that causes the congestion now.

This is exactly why I don't like these plans. It's the right idea, but with the same problem. They need a bridge connecting incoming 535 traffic from I-4 to Hotel Plaza Blvd. If I'm looking at this correctly, the bridge is going the opposite direction, and in the wrong direction. If they keep that light there, they will continue to face congestion problems even with a shorter stop time. It's not a real solution to the problem, just a different, arguably better way of getting to the problem.

I also question the need for so many ponds. It almost looks like the mission is specifically to block businesses by placing unnecessarily large ponds all over the site, it seems very unnecessary. I understand the need for some ponds, but not that size (these would almost be small lakes). There has to be a better way to do this, if the FDOT isn't in Disney's pocketbook.

Luxe

While they might listen to Disney, it's also true that Disney can benefit from this work as well and in the end FDOT will do what is for the overall greater good of traffic flow and safety. This area is an absolute traffic nightmare and has continued to get worse with each passing year. The enormous amount of residential development north of the RCID property just keeps making it worse every year. During afternoon rush hour the backups of traffic onto I4 (which is what FDOT is trying to fix) reach dangerous levels. They have wanted for many years to restructure traffic through that area but the location of Crossroads and some other adjacent properties has been the major barrier to resolving these traffic flow issues. Eventually something has do be done. And no it's not about Disney crushing competitors, it's about traffic flow and safety that everyone in the region will benefit from.

I get that this doesn't fit into the Disney is Evil narrative that many like to push but sometimes you just have to do the right thing for everyone and sometimes that may have a negative impact on a few. It's no different than a city or state taking land by eminent domain (Disney is not doing this) for the greater good of a community for a highway project.
I wasn't insinuating that this is directly related to a malicious attack by Disney. I was just clearing up what someone else had said which seemed to be misinterpreted.

I'm all for any improvement to the roads in central Florida, even if it means sacrificing the Crossroads(which I would only want to keep for nostalgia anyways).

Rider

This is exactly why I don't like these plans. It's the right idea, but with the same problem. They need a bridge connecting incoming 535 traffic from I-4 to Hotel Plaza Blvd. If I'm looking at this correctly, the bridge is going the opposite direction, and in the wrong direction. If they keep that light there, they will continue to face congestion problems even with a shorter stop time. It's not a real solution to the problem, just a different, arguably better way of getting to the problem.

I also question the need for so many ponds. It almost looks like the mission is specifically to block businesses by placing unnecessarily large ponds all over the site, it seems very unnecessary. I understand the need for some ponds, but not that size (these would almost be small lakes). There has to be a better way to do this, if the FDOT isn't in Disney's pocketbook.
Not sure what you are looking at but they are basically getting rid of the left turn and adding bridges and ramps to allow cars to get from I4 to Disney faster.

Also the number of ponds is based on flooding and ecological need. Lots of reports on it if you want to know more: http://i4express.com/project_documents_segment_1.shtm

donsullivan

Premium Member
Not sure what you are looking at but they are basically getting rid of the left turn and adding bridges and ramps to allow cars to get from I4 to Disney faster.

Also the number of ponds is based on flooding and ecological need. Lots of reports on it if you want to know more: http://i4express.com/project_documents_segment_1.shtm

You are taking a far too Disney-focused view on this. The biggest issue causing the bulk of the traffic problems here is not traffic destined to or from Disney; it's commuter traffic heading up 535 to the new residential developments north of Disney and south toward Kissimmee and Poinciana. While there is certainly a lot of tourism-related traffic moving through this area the normal commuter traffic is the bigger issue they are trying to resolve. There is another project opening up further down I4 with routes to Poinciana that will alleviate some of the 535 Eastbound traffic as people get used to it but this area needs to deal with the 535 westbound traffic that is not headed to Disney.

Rider

I was replying to someone saying they needed a bridge from I4 to Hotel Plaza.

But the plans look like they will improve the ramps and eliminate some traffic lights (and left turns at HPB) to allow everyone to get though that area faster.

Eckert

My cheap college-age butt likes to grab a bite (or two) from the Taco Bell there before heading out to the parks to save $$$. There are SO many affordable dining options for families and visitors in that shopping that it'd be a real damn shame if they got rid of it. It's always relatively empty and easy to grab a table at any of those restaurants unlike Disney Springs.

They can tear down those tacky faded Gift Shop stores if they'd like to, though.

CJR

I was replying to someone saying they needed a bridge from I4 to Hotel Plaza.

But the plans look like they will improve the ramps and eliminate some traffic lights (and left turns at HPB) to allow everyone to get though that area faster.

I'm not saying there wouldn't be an improvement, but I'm talking execution/effectiveness. The area heading toward Kissimmee is a big improvement, yes. The area heading to Disney is an improvement, but I believe there can be a better one that would reduce the amount of businesses that would have to close/relocate.

Instead of doing a big loop, they could simply build a bridge that goes over the road and onto the property. It probably wouldn't cost more either when you consider all the property they're wanting to buy up.

Last edited:

21stamps

An overrated strip mall, with restaurants/shops you can find elsewhere in Orlando
Some of my closest friends live in the Orlando area. I'm an ex Floridian, and have been to Orlando literally hundreds of times. I have never been to a restaurant or stepped foot in that strip mall. I didn't realize it was a popular spot until reading this thread.

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
We're 4 pages in and not a single mention of Fuddruckers?

IMG_0157.jpg

I'd loose my Taco Bell with a half hour drive through :(

Aside from the drive through being crazy at night reaching 45 minutes plus (and not a single fastpass available), during the day I could easily drive there for lunch and pick up something cheap. Idk what I'll do if crossroads goes away.

peter11435

I'd loose my Taco Bell with a half hour drive through :(

Aside from the drive through being crazy at night reaching 45 minutes plus (and not a single fastpass available), during the day I could easily drive there for lunch and pick up something cheap. Idk what I'll do if crossroads goes away.
Isn't here another Taco Bell a couple miles down 535 on 192.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom