Crimestoppers & the MGM Studios

comics101

Original Poster
With all the recent talk of expansion at DHS, I was looking at some overhead maps of the park and wondering, where exectly was Tracy's Crimestoppers was to be located in the park? Was it intended to be located in Fantasmic's current location, or in between the 50's Primetime Cafe and The Epic Stunt Spectacular, or maybe even back near the old Residential Street? I assume it wasn't Residential Street as that land was intended to be used for the Henson Studios, but maybe things changed after Jim Henson's death...idk.
I'm genuinely curious about this, as it seems there's no room anywhere in the park for an attraction of that size (at least back when the Backlot Tour was an actual attraction). Anywho, Thanks for the help!

Mad Stitch

I thought Crimestoppers took place on the Streets of America! No?

The original post is asking about the location of a ride that was planned for the Studios, but never made it off the drawing board. What you’re thinking of is something different. There was a small show the Backlot Tour would stop for back when it drove through the Streets of America.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Where RnRC was built; show building amongst those middle left:

Attachments

• sunset01.jpg
    sunset01.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 86
  • dick traceys mgm.jpg
    dick traceys mgm.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 70

NiarrNDisney

The original post is asking about the location of a ride that was planned for the Studios, but never made it off the drawing board. What you’re thinking of is something different. There was a small show the Backlot Tour would stop for back when it drove through the Streets of America.

Ahh thanks for clarifying. :)

Wilt Dasney

As much as I love RnRC, I have to say that a '30s-style film noir detective pulp attraction would have made a much better thematic fit for the area, and a more logical neighbor for the ToT. (Of course, Richard Tracy as a property has been so dormant since the Warren Beatty film that Disney might have already closed it if they ever built it.) Ah, what might have been...

cheezbat

Ahh what could have been. This would have been one spectacular Disney ride. When I first heard about it I almost died...i thought it sounded so awesome. Such a shame some attractions are never built.

comics101

Original Poster
Where RnRC was built; show building amongst those middle left:

Oh, I got it. Thanks alot. I always assumed that was Maroon Studios/Roger Rabit's Hollywood, with the tracks heading into the station there being "The Terminal" bar from the film. Was Tracy to get his own miniland as well, similar to Roger Rabbit?
And if that's Tracy, where would the Roger Rabbit-land have gone?
Also, was there a Rocketeerattraction planned for Sunset as well?

I agree with Wilt completly. I do love R'n'R, but it would've fit much better in the Backlot and a Film Noir attraction/land would've been AMAZING...ah well, maybe another Tracy franchise one day flourish.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Sunset was awash with ideas, I`m don`t think they were all destined to be green lit. From what I know, the Rabit rides would have either gone next to Crimestoppers, or where the Ranch market is now, competing with Hyperion Studios.

Interestingly, Crimestoppers was originally designed for Disney-MGM Europe.

comics101

Original Poster
Sunset was awash with ideas, I`m don`t think they were all destined to be green lit. From what I know, the Rabit rides would have either gone next to Crimestoppers, or where the Ranch market is now, competing with Hyperion Studios.

Interestingly, Crimestoppers was originally designed for Disney-MGM Europe.

Ok. Is there any chance that either Roger Rabbit or Hyperion would've connected to the Animation Ctyd via behind Brown Derby maybe? Thematically that would've created a great transition between the two areas, and would've made for much better guest flow.

And I had no idea it was designed only for Europe at first, I always figured they would've built them simotanously like the did with TSM to save money...

Martin, Do you believe Europe would have been a step up from DHS? Looking at the few plans I've seen, it seems the themepark areas were expanded greatly from the getgo, probabaly due to the popularity of the park here in the US.

:lol: I'm sucha nerd. You have no idea how interesting I find all of this.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Martin, Do you believe Europe would have been a step up from DHS? Looking at the few plans I've seen, it seems the themepark areas were expanded greatly from the getgo, probabaly due to the popularity of the park here in the US..
Not really. Crimestoppers was the parks E Ticket. There was no GMR. Opening day would have had that, a stunt show, animation and video exhibits and the tram tour, albeit it seems on a larger scale.

More interstingly was the fact it was to be built from an infrastructure point of view as a full park; its own entrance intersection, own parking lot and parking trams to serve it.

comics101

Original Poster
Not really. Crimestoppers was the parks E Ticket. There was no GMR. Opening day would have had that, a stunt show, animation and video exhibits and the tram tour, albeit it seems on a larger scale.

More interstingly was the fact it was to be built from an infrastructure point of view as a full park; its own entrance intersection, own parking lot and parking trams to serve it.

Oh I always thought there would be a GMR. Was Cinemagique just going to be located in the Chinese Theatre then? And I also thought an Indiana Jones Backlot was to be built as well, with a Route 66 area and the Sci Fi Drive-in, and a New York Waterfront section. Hmm...now I'm confused haha. Perhaps those things were phase 2? Or maybe we're just talking about different projects :shrug: I'm probably imagininging it all :lol:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Here`s the Disney MGM Europe so far as my research allowed (and it was pretty thorough)

Attachments

• Disney MGM Europe Plan composite full web.jpg
    Disney MGM Europe Plan composite full web.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 49

comics101

Original Poster
Ok cool. Thanks for posting that. I've seen those plans before (sort of) but never color coated like that and it helpd ALOT. So I thought that the Great Movie Palace would have been a European GMR, featuring some American classics like "Singin in the Rain" and "Casablanca" with mostly European film classics. I also thought there was an Indy Restaurant located in a half completed mountain near the Stunt Show...Idk. Anywho, thanks for posting that.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So I thought that the Great Movie Palace would have been a European GMR, featuring some American classics like "Singin in the Rain" and "Casablanca" with mostly European film classics
So did I at first. It wasn`t a ride. DOn`t recall what exactly but it did surprise me too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom