Creepy original WDW commercial

duckburg85

Original Poster
Here is a original Disney/ Eastern Airlines commercial i think people would like to see. It's kind of creepy and really doesn't make me want to fly Eastern Airlines or Visit a place where all these creepy characters hang out. It's nice to see how the commercial looked when the park just opened to the ones that we see today.

Also here is the opening special that they aired when WDW opened. get ready for some great dance moves and a glimpse of a creepy and empty looking tomorrowland.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy_e-F_sMtQ

mousebymarriage

Here is a original Disney/ Eastern Airlines commercial i think people would like to see. It's kind of creepy and really doesn't make me want to fly Eastern Airlines or Visit a place where all these creepy characters hang out. It's nice to see how the commercial looked when the park just opened to the ones that we see today.

Also here is the opening special that they aired when WDW opened. get ready for some great dance moves and a glimpse of a creepy and empty looking tomorrowland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy_e-F_sMtQ
WOW! Was that a commercial or a bad 70's acid trip? I totally agree with duckburg, it is creepy and what little kid would think going on a trip like that would be fun?

metscool

The first one is creepy and werd. When did Delta become the airline of WDW. And what happen to that airline. I have never heard if it.

Wow to the secound one. WDW has change since the video was made.

Tigger1988

Eastern went out of business a long time ago, maybe thats why you haven't heard of it. Wow I may not sleep tonight after seeing that :lol:

duckburg85

Original Poster
My only guess was that is what people would have responded to in the early 70's. It's like they tried to go into the whole artsy "let the audience be confused and scared" strategy. Hmm i also wonder if they were trying to scare people into coming to Disney World. The creepy characters can only be contained within Disney property, hmm i guess Disney is kind of like a zoo.​

raven

O.K. I just watched the second one and all I have to say is .....WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?:lookaroun

Yes! That dancing and those afros scared me! :lookaroun And I'm sure it wasn't a good influence to see all of the dances crammed into a teacup at the end of the clip. This didn't really show anything about the MK, just the performers.

I found a bunch of old vids on youtube last night from WDW that were great!

tink81

Ok, the second one is probably the worst use of marketing dollars ever spent by the Disney Corporation. They are singing and dancing around the park but nothing in the song relates to what they are singing and dancing around!!!
Why would they include that footage of Tomorrowland with the baracades in the background? Yuck.:hurl:

Either the audio is fuzzy or I haven't had enough coffee yet, but I didn't see or hear anything in that commecial that even said Walt Disney World. :veryconfu

Thanks for the chuckle on this boring Monday!:lol:

DisneyDragon

How very timely! I was re-reading Vinyl Leaves last night, and I just finished the chapter on advertising. Disney utilized what they called the "Tom Sawyer" approach to advertising...namely getting everybody else to do it.

The example they discuss in the book was regarding the opening of Epcot. Rather than be "crass" like other theme parks, they utilized indirect advertising means - the attraction sponsors had commercials and promotions (e.g. contests) for the new park, not to mention huge perks. My dad went to Epcot two weeks before official opening as a guest of Kraft, when they still sponsored the land. Now, we were always a Disney family, but he couldn't wait to bring us back.

What this did result in, though, was a loss in creative control. Even though Disney had to approve all related advertising, there was only so much time and effort to do this. The result: some rather interesting adverts.

Of course, this is completely different today. We see all sorts of ads for WDW in all formats - the most insidious I've found are those darned subscriptions to the various Disney magazines - I get Disney, wife gets Family Living, and daughter gets Disney Kids (I know the names aren't perfect). Every month I get the same question from the kids..."Can we go to...?"

Finally, I have to plug Vinyl Leaves as one of my favourite Disney books. While parts of it read like stereo instructions, it's a very good summary of the socio-politico-economical theory of WDW and Disney. By far the scariest comment, at the time of print, WDW was in the top 5 of retailers of general merchandise in Florida. With my background in retail strategy, it is a truly awesome statistic.

campdisney

:eek: :eek: :eek:

The Eastern Airlines commercial would have scared the crap out of me as a kid. I most definitely would have had a hard time approaching costumed characters after seeing it! Somebody was smoking somethin' when they made that one. :lookaroun

Orson Wells??? What, Hitchcock wasn't available? Vincent Price either? "Have a Magical Day, little girl -- bwahahahaha ..." :eek:

The second one, well gee, nice Lawrence Welk Show choreography is about all I can say. That and the Tomorrowland entry gate really adds ALOT to that area on the park. The whole lack of the WDW name anywhere in the piece is just really, really odd. Oh, and I'm so pleased red polyester leisure wear has not made a comeback. :lol:

Teenchy

Eastern went out of business a long time ago, maybe thats why you haven't heard of it. Wow I may not sleep tonight after seeing that :lol:

For those old enough to remember they were the sponsor of the ride "If You Had Wings"...It was my Mom's favorite on our first visit in '75. I recently got a DVD about the ride from extinct attractions...brings back alot of memories.

Unfortunately I cant see these links from work...I will have to check'um out when I get home...everyones reactions have me intrigued. We were all a little off in the 70's but this sounds good!:lookaroun

It seems to me like that old commercial is supposed to be a "Alice in Wonderland" type story, but she's looking for the magic kingdom instead of home...and the Peter Pan kid is like the Chesire Cat...wouldn't have been that creepy at all back then, since the animated Alice came out in 1951, and most every teenager or 20 something would have seen it growing up...plus, back then, it was no big deal for kids to go roaming the woods, etc. There was no fear of being abducted, killed, etc...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom