Creepy New Survey Question....

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
As Spotted on twitter by an acquaintance.....

For anyone who wasn't thinking that the mouse isn't keeping track of you? What exactly did you think the magicband and the MDX account was doing?

SurveyQuestion.jpg

Rodan75

Don't see how it is creepy at all. They are asking for permission for something they could do without. One should not assume any survey is blind unless specifically stated.

There may be a legal angle to this as well if they operate their survey business as a separate company affiliate.

No Name

Yup. The information on file of what ride you were at what exact time. When and where you ate each meal. What you bought at the gift shops and when. What time you opened the door of your hotel room. Nearly everything, definitely far more than I listed above.

It's creepy to think about, you're certainly right. With the wrong person in charge, I can only shudder at the thought of what evil they could do. However, if they're going to use the information to make the whole experience better, I personally don't mind. Having this information could really help increase operational efficiency. That efficency could not only save money, but also help the experience.

For example, Disney could get the very specific information that at 11:00 am on weekdays, customers at restaurant X are less than satisfied with their hamburgers. That should clue them in on the fact that there is a problem, and the investigation should be rather easy. They may find that the cook is doing something wrong, and then fix the problem by correcting the cook on his mistake.

It may seem trivial, but being able to fix even the smallest of issues would be a step toward making the trip literally perfect. Of course, solving (and even identifying) the problems costs money, and so the smaller the problem, the less inclined management would be to fix it.

But back to the the actual survey itself... this is the reason that, unlike the good old days of Disney surveys, they no longer ask "what did you eat for dinner" or "how long were you at the park" or factual stuff like that. Because they already have all of those answers. The only thing they don't have is your opinion.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Don't see how it is creepy at all. They are asking for permission for something they could do without. One should not assume any survey is blind unless specifically stated.

There may be a legal angle to this as well if they operate their survey business as a separate company affiliate.

Well, let me ask you this: Do you find the mouse keeping track of what you do, stay, answer surverys, etc., creepy?

Rich T

...and then fix the problem by correcting the cook on his mistake.
"Mr. Jones? Would you please put down your spatula and join us in the next room for a moment?"

Seriously, though, life will never be perfect, vacations will never be perfect, and Disney will never be perfect. They will, however, continue to use their system to endlessly tweak, cut back and eliminate, all in the name of efficiency. There's a way to balance all this and use this data to work toward a sparkling, magical resort with all attractions in tip-top condition... but will they go that route? Time will tell.

Last edited:

Jon81uk

The old Key to the World card system meant they had quite a lot of information on file about each guest too. There is nothing about that survey question that indicates they actually use MagicBands long range RFID to track people. Just from your name and address they know when you visit and which hotels you stay at. It's entirely possibly they know which hotel you were at 10 years ago and that's nothing to do with MagicBands.

OvertheHorizon

It's not only the Mouse. This happens every day. Do an Internet search for something you'd like to buy, or a trip you'd like to take. The next time you log on to your computer expect to see adds for the types of shoes you were searching for or the cruises you investigated.Whether it is Disney or any other market oriented company, they want as much information as possible to create the best experience for their customers. The consumer ALWAYS has the choice of where to spend their money.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I may be out of the norm but I don't find that creepy. First of all they may just be combining it with the reservation information dates, resort, etc) but even if they use more data so be it. They wouldn't be individually looking at people....they are likely just rolling all of this up for data analytics to see trends as a whole which with the way things have been going with the mouse so far this year I welcome...maybe they can get a glimpse into what is happening from our eyes at times

Let's not forget our little cell phones track a lot more stuff about us outside of Disney World in the background than the bands do inside - it's the world we live in unless we want to go off the grid

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I really wouldnt expect a theme park company to keep a file on me & tour I tour their park.
Then you're not terribly aware of the real world.

Every company keeps track of what you do related to their business interests. Disney is no exception and in fact have been doing so since long before MM+ came along. If you "wouldn't expect" it in this day and age, you're either incredibly naive or you're just trolling to rile up the other paranoids. There's nothing "creepy" about standard business practices.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom