Creations Shop opening this summer

UNCgolf

But that also indicates Centorium was inspired by late 70s malls. People seem very upset Creations is reminiscent of Apple Stores and contemporary shops they might be able to see outside of Disney, but I find it very hard to understand would would be thematically appropriate from that perspective.

The fact that the World of Disney looks like a generic department store bothers me much more than anything they're doing with Creations Shop, other than the stupid insistence on calling it Shop.

Bocabear

AMEN!
They ruined the fun of shopping at the World Of Disney. I loved the themed room and environments...Now it is just all bland.
Modern? Yes it is, but modern does not inspire purchases like whimsy does...
Look at the cookie store. If that was not a themed environment and just a modern counter with cookies I guarantee their sales would be about half of what they currently are...
Theme and style were always the reason for Disney's success... Why are they forgetting that now?

ImperfectPixie

AMEN!
They ruined the fun of shopping at the World Of Disney. I loved the themed room and environments...Now it is just all bland.
Look at the cookie store. If that was not a themed environment and just a modern counter with cookies I guarantee their sales would be about half of what they currently are...
Theme and style were always the reason for Disney's success... Why are they forgetting that now?
Because they put a merchandise guy in charge who has no appreciation for what made Disney special.

lazyboy97o

But that also indicates Centorium was inspired by late 70s malls. People seem very upset Creations is reminiscent of Apple Stores and contemporary shops they might be able to see outside of Disney, but I find it very hard to understand would would be thematically appropriate from that perspective.
In a way, EPCOT was itself inspired by the mall. The Father of the Mall and the Grandfather of EPCOT are the same person, Victor Gruen, whose The Heart of Our Cities: The Urban Crisis - Diagnosis and Cure was owned by Walt Disney and lays out the urban design that EPCOT would have closely followed.

Why a form is used is important to how a design works and how it feels. What trend are you following? Malls were for their first several decades designed as places. Their corridors weren’t littered with kiosks selling cheap junk but intended as a place to sit, socialize and be seen. There was landscaping, fountains and other decorative elements intended to create a welcoming atmosphere. The use of hexagons broke up rectangular space, a sort of compromise between the efficiency of a rectangle and the extravagance of a curve.

I disagree with the Apple Store claims. Disney isn’t following Apple, they’re following all of the clueless Apple imitators who don’t understand why Apple Stores work and how it fits with their ethos and are still stuck in a Paul Pressler retail mindset of maximizing square footages and milking customers in any sleazy way imaginable. Creations Shop doesn’t have the attention to detail of an Apple Store as evidenced by the glazing that no longer aligns to the control joints because they were just focused on “bigger glass.”

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
For you. I found it a better experience to navigate and focus on the merch rather than being presented with a labyrinth of fevered dream to try to escape.
The new layout also reduces the chances of losing your kids in that crazy labyrinth … or more importantly for me, losing my Hubby. (Who else is going to carry all of the merchandise that I can actually locate?)

djkidkaz

AMEN!

My initial reaction was to agree with you about the cookie store, but then I thought of Sprinkles. Which couldn’t be any more of a modern / bland looking location and they sell the hell out of some cupcakes.

Bocabear

My initial reaction was to agree with you about the cookie store, but then I thought of Sprinkles. Which couldn’t be any more of a modern / bland looking location and they sell the hell out of some cupcakes.
that is true...because....cupcakes....

Poseidon Quest

that is true...because....cupcakes....

I think ultimately, Disney exists as a place where people will come regardless. For so long, Disney stood as a cultural institution of excellence, that it became a milestone in the life of many American families to visit. I think it'll be a few years before the aggressive mediocrity of Disney parks, resorts and shopping will come back to haunt them because Disney itself is such a prominent institution.

UNCgolf

People don't line up for an hour (or longer) to get Sprinkles, though. It took about 5 minutes last time I was there. It also wasn't that great and I don't know why people love it so much; I've had better cupcakes.

Of course, I also think the chocolate chip cookies that everyone goes crazy for at Gideon's look terrible.

Anyway, with that all said, I don't think the theming is why people line up for Gideon's. It probably helps, but I'm sure it would still be busy if it was just sterile tile and a counter.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
People don't line up for an hour (or longer) to get Sprinkles, though. It took about 5 minutes last time I was there. It also wasn't that great and I don't know why people love it so much; I've had better cupcakes.

Of course, I also think the chocolate chip cookies that everyone goes crazy for at Gideon's look terrible.

Anyway, with that all said, I don't think the theming is why people line up for Gideon's. It probably helps, but I'm sure it would still be busy if it was just sterile tile and a counter.

Fair. Our experience with Sprinkles has been pretty good. Gideon’s is a bit more of a mixed bag, but I’d say more good than bad. But one simply cannot compare the stores where you are buying cupcakes and cookies at DS with a “flagship” merchandise shop inside Epcot.

UNCgolf

Fair. Our experience with Sprinkles has been pretty good. Gideon’s is a bit more of a mixed bag, but I’d say more good than bad. But one simply cannot compare the stores where you are buying cupcakes and cookies at DS with a “flagship” merchandise shop inside Epcot.

Oh, the cupcakes I've had at Sprinkles were good -- not claiming otherwise. They just weren't something absolutely incredible that beats any other cupcake I've had; there are a couple of places here in Atlanta with cupcakes that I think are better.

Last edited:

aladdin2007

“Here at Creations Shop, our Imagineers are doing some unbelievably creative and, if I may say so myself, ingenious work with things we are calling “right angles”. Never before in the history of Epcot has this been done, and I’m so proud of my team for coming up with such an incredible concept!” THE ZACH in a future Instagram post.

😉
🤢..is right angles a new thing?? o_O :banghead:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom