Crash at Lights Motors Action today

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
photo.JPG

There was crash at Lights Motors Action! today involving the red hero car. Fortunately the driver got out OK without any series injury.

@actaeonus sent the photo.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Just saw a couple of photos come by on Twitter that showed the car in the air as it came down the truck ramp and hitting the top cross-bar at the rear of the truck shearing off the back of the roofline.

FerretAfros

I'm glad nobody was injured, and I must say that somebody got an incredibly well-timed photo

But I have to ask: how did the car get airborne? It basically starts (from a dead stop) in the building's second level and travels down the ramp, right? I don't see how it could have ended up 4'+ in the air at the bottom of the ramp. Maybe a little airtime as it transitions from the flat area to the ramp, but this seems a little crazy

michael.fumc

I might be in the minority but I like that show and would miss it if it was gone. Especially if it's replaced with something really lame.
We love this show, it is a must for my family, my boys have always loved it, I agree it should be replaced if there is an awesome plan, but I don't want it to close just like AI with nothing new coming. This and Indy are great shows, but could be replaced

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm glad nobody was injured, and I must say that somebody got an incredibly well-timed photo

But I have to ask: how did the car get airborne? It basically starts (from a dead stop) in the building's second level and travels down the ramp, right? I don't see how it could have ended up 4'+ in the air at the bottom of the ramp. Maybe a little airtime as it transitions from the flat area to the ramp, but this seems a little crazy

If you watch a video of the show you can see that the car does get a little air time at the top of the ramp. It appears that they came up the backstage ramp to fast.

mikeh

I don't think it starts still. The only way for this to happen would be too much speed out of the building.

CDavid

Wow, guests got their money's worth for that show!

Yes, anyone hoping to see an accident, which could potentially result in serious injury, certainly got their money worth. :banghead:

Of course, everybody else just wanted to see the Lights, Motors, Action stunt show, but then they are probably just relieved that nobody was hurt, and aren't so concerned for the show.

sweetpee_1993

I saw a crash when I was there a few years ago...car slammed into the retaining wall - luckily no one was hurt

I have a feeling LMA days are numbered and this just adds more fuel to the fire
In January '09 we saw the hero car land off the final jump wrong. It bounced violently front first then back. It lost control as it entered the tunnel under the stands. We'd seen the show several times before so we knew how the sequence should go, how the car performs, and how the show concludes. As soon as it happened safety people ran out to look in the tunnel & you could see their reactions. The show ended abruptly. Little to no calls for applause, etc. The crash happened then it was "Have a good day, folks!" We saw an ambulance pull up behind the stadium. They came running with the stretcher. They routed all the guests exiting out across the "stage" then thru gates behind the village sets. When we got to the ground level by the tunnel I turned and looked past the CMs trying to keep people from seeing. There were red striations on the tunnel wall and the car was resting partially upside down against the wall further in. You could see the rear of the car towards the back. All the other shows for the day were cancelled but they were up & running the next day. There was no news or any official reports. Only me. Lots of official-looking people with clip boards, etc. all in the area in the hours that passed. Again, I'd been in MGM/DHS enough to know something unusual had happened because I saw little things going on that were different. I did hear later that the driver was okay which was good to know.

I came here....I wasn't a big poster then....and reported it as soon as I could after it happened. Aaaaaand, got called a liar & told I made it up to get attention. Buncha DBs, I swear. Whatever. Do ya want news or not? Right? Since then I post in this section with my fisticuffs at the ready. It's a tough room but, hey, I'm a tough girl. ;)

Anywhooooo, accidents happen at that show and, NO, it's not going to make headline news. Glad to hear nobody was hurt with the latest mishap. Also glad there's good photos & evidence so others don't have to be accused of attention-seeking. ;)

**edit**
Here's a link to the 2009 thread.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/lights-motors-action-accident-yesterday.400134/page-2

There's a photo in post #39 of the hero car landing nose-down. The front of the car hit, bounced up, then the back hit, and bounced. The car veered to the side as it entered the tunnel. I love the term "routine hit" by a couple of the posters in that thread. Um, what exactly is a routine hit? Is it routine when a car is not upright? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom