Covid Vaccine Updates and General Discussion About Vaccines

Will you take a Covid vaccine once one is approved and deemed safe and effective by the FDA?

• Yes, stick me please

• No, I will wait

• No, I will never take one

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dog Ate Mouse

My friends got their second dose and next day both had fevers around 102, today they are rporting fevers have dropped down and feeling better. Probably tomorrow should be good hopefully.

Now speaking from experience with Shingles vaccination:

1rst shot made my arm swell and big cherry rash. This also happened to wife wife too.

2nd shot and I had a fever and the chills for two solid days. Wife had the same reaction.

I had a bad case of COVID-19 March of 2020. Ever since then doing great. It took me three weeks to fully recover after 10.5 days of high fever. If it went one more day I feel I would have gone to the hospital. I did not realize how bad my breathing got. When the fever broke and I tried to blow my nose and I could barely do it. I seen this and started walking a little the next day and a little more and so on and so on. I finally gotten up to 5 miles a day and was feeling amazing and so dog gone good to be back. I collapsed at home with 105 fever and my wife saved me and tore off my shirt and started applying ice and very cold soaking wet towels around my whole body. My doctor told me that I was lucky to be alive. My best friend (wife) saved me.

Maybe this vaccine might cause discomfort for a day or two. But if it keeps me from going through what I had then I am all for it. Trust me everyone. You do not want what I went through. I never had a disease that was so relentless and also played with your mine like basically making you fee to give up and just die and that you will not get better. I had to fight and my wife also kept telling me eat and don't quit the last three and a half days.

ToTBellHop

CDC announced today that, upon receiving dose 2, you do not need to quarantine if you travel or are exposed to a COVID-positive person--but only for 3 months. I presume they’ll extend it for longer as long as people aren’t getting sick (or they’re planning to end quarantines toward summer).

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Something I have been wondering.... We know these vaccines have received emergency approval, but what does the FDA need to see to move them to full approval?

nickys

Premium Member
CDC announced today that, upon receiving dose 2, you do not need to quarantine if you travel or are exposed to a COVID-positive person--but only for 3 months. I presume they’ll extend it for longer as long as people aren’t getting sick (or they’re planning to end quarantines toward summer).
Which is incredibly risky, since there is no evidence as to whether being vaccinated stops you transmitting the virus. So you could still catch the virus, have no or very mild symptoms and pass it on.

Meanwhile here in the U.K. people are being told that they will still have to mask up and follow restrictions, including self isolating upon exposure, like everyone else after being vaccinated. Until we know more.

dreday3

Which is incredibly risky, since there is no evidence as to whether being vaccinated stops you transmitting the virus. So you could still catch the virus, have no or very mild symptoms and pass it on.

Meanwhile here in the U.K. people are being told that they will still have to mask up and follow restrictions, including self isolating upon exposure, like everyone else after being vaccinated. Until we know more.

I'm comfortable with the CDC saying it's okay. Fauci agrees.
We say to follow their guidance on everything else regarding restrictions, but when they ease a bit (and not much), now we don't trust them?

nickys

Premium Member
I'm comfortable with the CDC saying it's okay. Fauci agrees.
We say to follow their guidance on everything else regarding restrictions, but when they ease a bit (and not much), now we don't trust them?
I’m from the U.K., hence my comment. I’m just interested that the CDC have decided it’s OK, without any evidence that it will stop the virus spreading.

ToTBellHop

I’m from the U.K., hence my comment. I’m just interested that the CDC have decided it’s OK, without any evidence that it will stop the virus spreading.
There needs to be a carrot to get enough people to get their shots. This is a small one. They still say “monitor for symptoms.”

Keep in mind, this would be similar to saying people in London can go to York and come back without quarantining. I currently would have to quarantine if I went to Boston, which is 90 min from me. With that said, states still manage their own borders and can maintain quarantines if they want to.

Last edited:

Tom P.

I understand that there are no controlled studies yet on the vaccine's ability to actually prevent disease transmission. However, if this vaccine successfully stopped people from getting sick but did not stop them from spreading the disease, it would be the first vaccine in the history of vaccines that worked that way. Most experts seem to agree that it is likely the vaccine will stop the spread, but say that we just need more evidence first. Given that, I think the CDC's recommendation makes sense.

nickys

Premium Member
There needs to be a carrot to get enough people to get their shots. This is a small one. They still say “monitor for symptoms.”

Keep in mind, this would be similar to saying people in London can go to York and come back without quarantining. I currently would have to quarantine if I went to Boston, which is 90 min from me.
Right now we can’t travel anywhere, the whole of the U.K. is in lockdown and no travel except for essential reasons. I’m not allowed more than 5 miles from my home. But even before Christmas people weren’t allowed to travel to an area in a lower tier of restrictions except for essential reasons.

But I take your point.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Something I have been wondering.... We know these vaccines have received emergency approval, but what does the FDA need to see to move them to full approval?
Long term safety data. Understanding longer term efficacy.

It’s possible that only a few of the vaccines will receive full approval if the medium to long term efficacy varies, even if they are all safe. No reason to have 5 vaccines if 2 work better, once we are at a point where production isn’t an issue.

ToTBellHop

As cases continue to plummet, and daily death rates are finally falling, Dr. Fauci announced today that any adult American who wants a vaccine should be able to sign up for one starting in late April. New York Times looked into the decline in a piece today. Epidemiologists are suggesting that the combination of about a third of Americans having already had COVID-19, along with a further 10% initiating vaccination (of course some who vaccinate already had covid, too) is starting to impact our numbers and that we could be nearing herd immunity already.

71% of Americans report willingness to be vaccinated (according to Gallup). This is up from 65% in December.

Last edited:

SyracuseDisneyFan

I told my Dad that a CVS near him is now taking appointments for the COVID vaccine. Yesterday, NY Governor Cuomo announced that large stadiums and arenas can open back up for public use on February 23 at 10% capacity for those places that have more than 10,000 seats. I'm cautiously optimistic that I can see Kenny Chesney this summer.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I told my Dad that a CVS near him is now taking appointments for the COVID vaccine. Yesterday, NY Governor Cuomo announced that large stadiums and arenas can open back up for public use on February 23 at 10% capacity for those places that have more than 10,000 seats. I'm cautiously optimistic that I can see Kenny Chesney this summer.

I wonder how many of those places will find it worthwhile to open at 10%? You also require a negative PCR test so that may limit people's interest and also adds to the effort that needs to be put in to reopen.

GimpYancIent

I wonder how many of those places will find it worthwhile to open at 10%? You also require a negative PCR test so that may limit people's interest and also adds to the effort that needs to be put in to reopen.
You trust His Majesty Cuomo?

Epcot_Imagineer

Pfizer dose 1 a few days ago... Felt under the weather for the day after, but fine now! Very exciting to see all this talk of the next coming months seeing a partial emergence from this lockdown.

Still very interested in the talk of the vaccine only being good for 3 months... it will be interesting to see a large amount of healthcare workers having this only benefit them for what, a few weeks?

correcaminos

Pfizer dose 1 a few days ago... Felt under the weather for the day after, but fine now! Very exciting to see all this talk of the next coming months seeing a partial emergence from this lockdown.

Still very interested in the talk of the vaccine only being good for 3 months... it will be interesting to see a large amount of healthcare workers having this only benefit them for what, a few weeks?
This only comes from trial info. We're still helping out long term info. I have next blood draw in March. Some will be later this month to help show. It's at least, not only. Info is emerging. From what they have seen they have info showing a year or two or so. But cannot 100% prove yet.

ToTBellHop

No one thinks it will only be 3 months. But the Phase 3 trials ended recently. They don’t have long-term data.

sullyinMT

By baseball season, it may be a higher percentage allowed for Yankees and Mets games (along with any larger MiLB fields I'm not aware of). MLS would be thrilled with fans in seats, too. Maybe MSG will open to fans for Knicks and Rangers games?

The Bills' test games must have been a success. It's another sign of things slowly unwinding. I'll take it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
Vaccine Update:

The US has officially purchased 100M additional doses each from Pfizer and Moderna. Both companies have committed to delivering 300M doses by the end of Juiy now. In addition Moderna has joined Pfizer in committing that its second 100M doses will be delivered by end of May now. So officially we will have 400M Pfizer and Moderna doses by end of May and 600M by the end of July. JnJ once approved is expected to deliver 100M doses by the end of June but should have at least 50M to 75M doses delivered by the end of May and maybe more. So likely enough doses for 250 to 275M Americans by the end of May. Assuming kids 12-16 are approved by then there will still only be 280M Americans approved, so enough doses for everyone who wants one by the end of May.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Vaccine Update:

The US has officially purchased 100M additional doses each from Pfizer and Moderna. Both companies have committed to delivering 300M doses by the end of Juiy now. In addition Moderna has joined Pfizer in committing that its second 100M doses will be delivered by end of May now. So officially we will have 400M Pfizer and Moderna doses by end of May and 600M by the end of July. JnJ once approved is expected to deliver 100M doses by the end of June but should have at least 50M to 75M doses delivered by the end of May and maybe more. So likely enough doses for 250 to 275M Americans by the end of May. Assuming kids 12-16 are approved by then there will still only be 280M Americans approved, so enough doses for everyone who wants one by the end of May.
Isn't this already known?

K, thanks.

Update...

Here's what I got so far (in millions):
  • Pfizer: 300 doses (150 people vaccinated). End of March, 120 doses. End of May (originally end of June), 100 doses. End of Summer, 100 doses.
  • Moderna: 300 doses (150 people vaccinated). End of March, 100 doses. End of May (originally end of June), 100 doses. End of Summer, 100 doses.
  • Astrazeneca/Oxford: 150 doses (75 people vaccinated). End of May, 75 doses. End of Summer, 75 doses.
  • Novavax: 110 doses (55 people vaccinated). End of May, 110 doses.
  • J&J: 200 doses (an extra 100 was ordered) which is 200 people vaccinated (only 1 dose needed). End of March, 60 doses. End of June, 40 doses. End of Summer, 100 doses.
That is a total of 715 people vaccinated. Twice the population of the U.S.

Timeline in adults vaccinated and percentage of all adults:
  • End of March: 210 adults vaccinated. 68% of all adults.
  • End of May: 280 more adults vaccinated for a total of 490 theoretical adults vaccinated. 159% of all adults.
  • End of Summer: 225 more adults vaccinated for a total of 715 theoretical adults vaccinated. 231% of all adults.

We could hit herd immunity by the end of March. Certainly by the end of April unless the three other vaccines never get approved.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom