courtesy on disney transportation

Status
Not open for further replies.

wendysue

Original Poster
The last time my husband and I were at WDW, in March, I noticed a disturbing trend on the disney transportation. When the buses were full, usually no one would get up, except us, to let someone with a baby, small child or some type of disability have a seat. In the news story about the latest crash of the 2 Disney buses, a father and 6 week old were thrown about as they were STANDING when the collision happened. Would no one let that man and baby have a seat?!!! That is the only real beef I had with our last vacation at WDW. I know we all pay a premium for our vacations at Disney, but there is no excuse for total lack of courtesy.

pluto1964

We were there last November/December and thought the same thing. The transportation is a great feature but the last two times we have been there, there were problems with buses showing up on a regular scheudle plus when they were crowded, people were very rude.

tigsmom

Unless parents teach their children from an early age they will have no clue about what is right or wrong. We have always taught our kids (2 girls - 21 & 14) to give up their seats for those older and those with babies though people would rarely do that for us. My DH has, in the past, told teenagers to give their seats to those older, usually with good results. Both the DH & I are in our 50's and we give up our seats routinely.

Would be nice if the drivers would "remind" people to use some common courtesy.

Nemo14

^
We've done the same with our kids, and occasionally the favor has been returned to us (not often though :(). I think part of the blame at least rests in the fact that the busses are sooooo crowded. It tends to bring out the worst in people who are already hot and tired of being on their feet all day. JMHO

NCState

I think be blame is parenting. We parents are responsible to the teachings of respect others, it's not about "me".

Cruiseketeer

I taught my kids to always give their seats up, and we regularly give ours up as well. What irks me are parents who can easily pull a 2 yr old onto their lap to open up a seat, yet they do not.

CaptainJackNO

The last time my husband and I were at WDW, in March, I noticed a disturbing trend on the disney transportation. When the buses were full, usually no one would get up, except us, to let someone with a baby, small child or some type of disability have a seat. In the news story about the latest crash of the 2 Disney buses, a father and 6 week old were thrown about as they were STANDING when the collision happened. Would no one let that man and baby have a seat?!!! That is the only real beef I had with our last vacation at WDW. I know we all pay a premium for our vacations at Disney, but there is no excuse for total lack of courtesy.

I, too, as a father of a five year old and 3 month old, always get up and offer my seat to a mother and her children....I even offer my seat to a lady without kids if I am seated. This is, as I was raised, the proper thing to do for a lady. A gentleman always gives up his seat to a lady.
Now, I have noticed this happen all the time. Guys unwilling to give up their precious seat for a lady with a young child. It is disturbing. I liken this to the overwhelming selfishness of people in the world today. The typical behavior of most baby boomers with a selfish me first, "mine, mine, mine" attitude. Rampant narcissism and lack of respect for decorum and others. It is a sad state of affairs, to be sure.:mad:

This is not an indictment of all baby boomers, either. Most of you are great..:)
However,. there is a level of narcissism and selfishness that runs through many baby boomers that is shocking to me. Plus, they raised their bratty kids like that, too.

Disneykidder

I agree...my hubby always stood while my son sat on my lap. On our last trip I stood a lot with my son and no one bothered to let us sit. Oh, I was also pregnant. :(

Dinoman96

Speaking of which, while we were waiting for a bus for DTD on a rainy day, some girl who was trying to get out accidentally fell out and landed in a puddle. Then she started to cry.

C&B Young

I taught my kids to always give their seats up, and we regularly give ours up as well. What irks me are parents who can easily pull a 2 yr old onto their lap to open up a seat, yet they do not.

This is the one that irks me the most too! I give up my seat, yet Mom & Dad can't stick a couple toddlers on their laps for a 5 minute bus ride to free up those seats?

craz4disney

I feel your pain! We went down about 4 years ago I was 6 months pregnant. Had a 2 yr old who was tired and cranky at night. No one offered a seat to anyone in my party. Actually some man got off the bus at the wrong resort because my 2 yr old was crying and he couldnt handle that much noise and why didnt I try and keep her quiet? I have always offered my seat. my kids either sit on mine or my hubbys lap as well!

YankeeMouse

I notice this all the time, attribute it to people being "zoned out" after a busy day in the parks. My husband and I, and our sons when they were with us, always give up our seats. We'll be approaching 60 soon, and I wonder when people will start giving up their seats for the "old folks"!

I know I am going to get flamed for this but I do not think people should have to give up their seats. If there are no seats left on the bus then wait for the next one. Why should people who got in line first give up their seat just so someone else does not have to stand? Being older or having children is not a reason to get preferential treatment. I do not know how many times my husband and I got in line for a bus and then when it was our time to board we just stepped out of the way because we did not want to stand. If you don't want to stand, don't get on the bus.

CaptainJackNO

I feel your pain! We went down about 4 years ago I was 6 months pregnant. Had a 2 yr old who was tired and cranky at night. No one offered a seat to anyone in my party. Actually some man got off the bus at the wrong resort because my 2 yr old was crying and he couldnt handle that much noise and why didnt I try and keep her quiet? I have always offered my seat. my kids either sit on mine or my hubbys lap as well!
Ever wonder why crabby, idiot adults go to WDW then get annoyed when a child cries? I just want to go up to them ands say, "you know you are in Disneyworld, Right? You inbecile" If you don't like kids, go to a dude ranch or a shuffle board convention or something. But getting annoyed at kids at WDW is like being angry because you just got on the interstate and there are cars there, not just yours.

CaptainJackNO

I know I am going to get flamed for this but I do not think people should have to give up their seats. If there are no seats left on the bus then wait for the next one. Why should people who got in line first give up their seat just so someone else does not have to stand? Being older or having children is not a reason to get preferential treatment. I do not know how many times my husband and I got in line for a bus and then when it was our time to board we just stepped out of the way because we did not want to stand. If you don't want to stand, don't get on the bus.
Why am I not surprised this post came from the Northeast? :rolleyes:
People can criticize the south all you want, but you rarely encounter this mentality around here. Sheesh.......This is why I never pull for the New England Patriots....
Here's your sign

wendysue

Original Poster
courtesy on buses

It was nice to see so many positive responses regarding courtesy on the buses. Obviously, being in our 50's we were raised in another era. One that had class and compassion for others. We are going back to WDW in September, and hope that it isn't any worse. We will think positive and have a wonderful time. Cant wait!! :wave:

MyLittleAngels

What really got to me once was the time we got on the bus with our girls, who had just run out of steam and started falling asleep while waiting for the bus. Of course, our line was the only one that was several busses long, and that no busses came for ....

We finally were able to get on a bus, and had to stand there, with a 6, 4, and 2 year old. I was holding the youngest, while the other two clung to DH and I. Some rude couple, 20-ish, were sitting next to me, chatting about how mean we were for forcing our kids to stay out until they were asleep. Clearly, a couple without children, because they had no clue that kids could be completely amped up one minute, and totally crashed out the next. It just killed me, though, that they sat there debating my parenting decisions, all the while, watching me struggle to hold one sleeping child on my hip, and one my leg, and try not to fall over with the bus starting and stopping in the manner they do.

For the record, now that my kids are getting a bit bigger, I try to find a seat for the youngest (just now 5), and let the other two hold on ... I would never remain in my seat if there's someone holding an infant, or a pregnant woman fighting to stand .. I remember too much how difficult it was to be ignored when I was in a similar situation. The same goes for the monorails .. I will always get up if there's a child or needy adult. I am too capable to stand if there's someone who needs the seating more than myself.

durangojim

Back in the 80s when we would go to WDW and I was a child, my parents would always have me get up if an elderly person or couple were standing and would offer them a seat. Unfortunately common courtesy and being polite and thoughtful seem to be a thing of the past. Countless times when I have held the door to someplace open for my wife, someone will walk infront of her without so much as a 'thank you". This is pretty much a comment on our society and is nothing new, as evidenced by news and characters' actions in movies and tv. Pretty pitiful.

durangojim

Common courtesy. Do you or your husband ever say thank you, or open the door for someone else? Small acts of thoughtfulness or kindness are really not difficult things to do.

durangojim

This is the one that irks me the most too! I give up my seat, yet Mom & Dad can't stick a couple toddlers on their laps for a 5 minute bus ride to free up those seats?

Very true, especially when the buses are busy, or even better when a child is lying down and stretched across two seats. Another thing would be when someone carrying a stroller or two (usually me) is trying to get off the bus, and people attempt to walk by me to get off more quickly and then usually get hit by the stroller resulting in them giving me a dirty look. Patience is a virtue that most people don't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom