Country flags?

PurpleMan

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Have any of you ever walked around the World Showcase and notice how the pavilions never fly the flags of their respective countries? Why is that? I assume there has to be a logical explanation for this. And to those of you who want to remind me of Google's existence, I already tried scouring the internet for an answer and came up empty.

Lilofan

Have any of you ever walked around the World Showcase and notice how the pavilions never fly the flags of their respective countries? Why is that? I assume there has to be a logical explanation for this. And to those of you who want to remind me of Google's existence, I already tried scouring the internet for an answer and came up empty.
Good question. For many years a popular Mexican dining place in Orlando flew the Mexican flag high and proud on a flag pole outside the restaurant. A few years ago the owners decided to take it down due to complaints from locals.

Heppenheimer

Ever been to Nova Scotia just about every house has the Canadian flag flying ---don't think it is unique to us
Seems pretty common in Ontario too.

Interesting, though, that the most prominent flag flown at the nearest border crossing to me is the Quebec flag. For comparison, I used to live 5 minutes away from the Lewiston-Queenston bridge, and I don't recall ever seeing an Ontario flag anywhere.

mergatroid

Here in the UK there are certain people who if you display the Union Jack flag think that you're a racist. I imagine their 'logic' is showing the flag of your country is equivalent of saying "We don't like other countries as much". Whilst I don't feel the need or desire to have a Union Jack outside our house, if I did then I don't think that's me saying I hate any other country.

Sometimes people just look for things to be offended or upset by :(

Heppenheimer

Here in the UK there are certain people who if you display the Union Jack flag think that you're a racist. I imagine their 'logic' is showing the flag of your country is equivalent of saying "We don't like other countries as much". Whilst I don't feel the need or desire to have a Union Jack outside our house, if I did then I don't think that's me saying I hate any other country.
Believe it or not, there was a time when displaying the Union Jack in the US was a style choice to advertise your tastes in music (if I'm remembering correctly, Ferris Bueller had one hanging in his room, for example). Not sure if it would have the same perception today, though.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Union flag. Not jack.

Come on my dearest chap, surely you know that. And how hard it is to fly it the right way up too....

NelleBelle

Good question! It's not illegal or unethical to fly the flag of another country, just as long as it's flown under the US flag if the US flag is present. So here in Seattle there is a very Scandinavian neighborhood called Ballard and there is a park smack dab in the middle of town displaying all of the Scandinavian flags proudly. So the Epcot flag thing is odd indeed and quite a pity.
p-IMG-0859_54_990x660_201404241152.JPG

DisneyJoe

Just a guess, but there might be specific regulations for the official use of various countrys' flags that could preclude their use at Epcot. Kind of like why Main Street only has one real US flag.
Exactly my thoughts - here is a discussion on wdwmagic about the topic on US flags, perhaps there are similar rules for other country flags?

NelleBelle

Exactly my thoughts - here is a discussion on wdwmagic about the topic on US flags, perhaps there are similar rules for other country flags?

With all the US flags on Main Street, that makes sense re. lowering for half mast, lightening strikes, raising and lowering daily, etc. But having one country's flag in the specific country in Epcot doesn't really fall into those categories. It's just odd!

surfsupdon

I know at Caribbean Beach, since opening and still currently, the flags of Martinique, Aruba, Jamaica, Trinidad, and Barbados fly on the parking lot side of Old Port Royale. I think it is a nice touch.

nickys

Premium Member
Good question! It's not illegal or unethical to fly the flag of another country, just as long as it's flown under the US flag if the US flag is present. So here in Seattle there is a very Scandinavian neighborhood called Ballard and there is a park smack dab in the middle of town displaying all of the Scandinavian flags proudly. So the Epcot flag thing is odd indeed and quite a pity.
p-IMG-0859_54_990x660_201404241152.JPG

Except that Finland and Iceland are not part of Scandinavia!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom