Country Bears Refurb!

Scar Junior

For the sake of argument let's say that you make a product that you would like to sell. Would you pay an advertising company $1000 for a promotion for said product that would shut your manufacturing process down for a week and not produce at least $1000 in increased revenue?

A seasonal overlay at WDW does exactly that. It costs money and does not increase revenue. All current management sees is profit and loss. Show and quality have become secondary.

Since we are saking argument...

Does CBJ increase revenue? Would it being down cause a hit in revenue? How much would the absence of frontline CMs' payroll affect the situation?

Edit: see my next post...

CThaddeus

For the sake of argument let's say that you make a product that you would like to sell. Would you pay an advertising company $1000 for a promotion for said product that would shut your manufacturing process down for a week and not produce at least $1000 in increased revenue?

A seasonal overlay at WDW does exactly that. It costs money and does not increase revenue. All current management sees is profit and loss. Show and quality have become secondary.

Two solutions:
1. Make room for a Country Bear Holiday Special store at the exit. If they can make a buck or twenty off selling Big Al ornaments, maybe they'll suddenly be excited about an overlay.
2. Charge $5 to get in. If the almighty dollar is all these shortsighted managers respect, then give it to them. They could make it a mini-event kind of thing and give each person a cup of cocoa and a candy cane cookie to enjoy during the show. Together those wouldn't cost Disney more than 50 cents total (probably under a quarter, actually), then the rest would be profit. If they market it like their overpriced after-hours events, this could become popular just by its exclusivity. Add the store to the end of it and blammo, you got yourselves a bona fide money sucker.
There is a third option - convince the managers to stop being such miserly Scrooges - but that would require an event of Dickensian proportions to scare the joy of giving at Christmas into them.

Scar Junior

I've thought about it a bit and I may agree with you now... I was thinking about this from a different perspective (than you intended) the first time I read your post. I might have interpreted it wrong.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Since we are saking argument...

Does CBJ increase revenue? Would it being down cause a hit in revenue? How much would the absence of frontline CMs' payroll affect the situation?

Edit: see my next post...
Directly no, but then again neither does any other attraction. Disney looks at guest counts like dollars. Every guest that goes into an attraction is worth X dollars. For a ride to be profitable on a spread sheet the amount of guest dollars needs to be greater than the actual operating dollars. If spending money to do an overlay does not increase the number of guests that go on an attraction equal to or greater than the money spent to do the overlay then in the suits mind the overlay lost money.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Two solutions:
1. Make room for a Country Bear Holiday Special store at the exit. If they can make a buck or twenty off selling Big Al ornaments, maybe they'll suddenly be excited about an overlay.
2. Charge $5 to get in. If the almighty dollar is all these shortsighted managers respect, then give it to them. They could make it a mini-event kind of thing and give each person a cup of cocoa and a candy cane cookie to enjoy during the show. Together those wouldn't cost Disney more than 50 cents total (probably under a quarter, actually), then the rest would be profit. If they market it like their overpriced after-hours events, this could become popular just by its exclusivity. Add the store to the end of it and blammo, you got yourselves a bona fide money sucker.
There is a third option - convince the managers to stop being such miserly Scrooges - but that would require an event of Dickensian proportions to scare the joy of giving at Christmas into them.
There is only one way to do this. Hit them in the pocketbook. We do that by not going WDW. In the rare chance that we get to speak to someone in charge via a survey or whatever tell them why you do not go as often. Quality is slipping. Profit has become more important than show. Fix it and we will return. If enough people do this they will have no choice but to listen.

KingStefan

Here is the thing: things like CBJ overlay add to the Show. Show is one of the four KTTK. Following the KTTK principle has led to the creation of the greatest system of theme parks in the history of the world, by many measures, but the one that is most important to the suits, of course, is the financial measure.

Start to ignore or take away elements of Show, and it is the beginning of the end of the World as we know it. Ultimately, the suits know this. They are continually in a state of having to weigh the expenses versus how much the contribution of a particular element to the Show supports the patrimony of the enterprise.

Show is part of the KTTK, KTTK is what brings the magic. Without the magic, WDW is nothing. When the suits start to forget that, it will bring the demise of the enterprise. So far, they seem to understand that enough to keep brining increasingly large crowds to the World.

I wonder, though, what the trend is with regard to the percent of visitors who feel the "magic", as opposed to, say, ten years ago. Is WDW being visited more because of its past reputation, while becoming more of a "been there, done that" experience? If the suits know what they are doing, they are having the marketing folks study that. My hope is that that is happening.

An article (actually a business article about the service industry) that I read recently posed the question, "How many people do you know that have visited WDW and come back not saying they had a great time". Well, recently, I know several of my acquaintances who have done just exactly that. And it scares me a bit.

Sorry for waxing so philosophical and getting a bit OT.

EPCOTCenterLover

Last visit to the Kingdom, CBJ was always down- in and out of being open to guests. Never got to see it. Now that it is gone at DL, I was looking forward to this even more. Glad for the refurb!

Did take a Jungle Cruise. It was in poor shape to say the least. When was it supposedly refurbed?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom