News Country Bear Jamboree is getting new songs and acts

zipadee999

In all honesty what are the chances we see show rotations at WDW? I understand they want to let CBMJ breath a little bit and give time for everybody to experience the ‘new’ version but what are the chances five years from now that we see seasonal shows return?

TalkingHead

What even makes you think they will? Is it just pessimism for pessimism sakes?
It’s an attraction with a small footprint that generates no added revenue in a highly traversed walkway. The show’s appeal was always nostalgia and its early WDW vintage. Now that’s gone; popularity will decrease further. A few years from now they’ll be looking for any way to goose more spending from guests. Shut down the unpopular show that costs money for AA upkeep and add an experience or whatever WDI calls these things for an added cost. Who’s going to care at that point?

gerarar

Premium Member
Saw this a couple weeks ago on Sunday (9/1).

Overall thoughts are that it's very enjoyable and fun. My party had 2 people that never seen the show (previous iteration) and they loved it. They, along with the other guests in the audience, were all laughing, clapping, and smiling throughout.

We ended up seeing it twice in one day since we all liked it a lot, and it's a nice way to beat the heat (or rain in our case).

Standout parts for me were A Whole New World and Remember Me. They brought out most of the laughter. The side comments in between songs were also on point imo. Also supercalifragilisticexpialidocious was another favorite of mine with the smoking fiddle gag.

And now here's some pics I grabbed:
1000013995.jpg

1000013997.jpg

1000014000.jpg

1000014006.jpg

1000014008.jpg

1000014013.jpg

1000014018.jpg

1000014022.jpg

Last edited:

prberk

My first time seeing it. It's not terrible, but I'm always surprised to see modern Imagineering missing the point. I grew up on the Vacation Hoedown and while I didn't know a majority of the songs growing up, I was entertained by variety of looks and gags. The painted backdrops for each segment and the small physical set with a comedic gag helped it be about more than just hearing songs sung by bears. "Two Different Worlds" being sung to an amarous octopus while a fish swims in his glasses, Liverlips with a frayed line on the side of a mountain, Trixie's "Life's No Picnic Without Ya" with her picnic basket.

The figures move better than they have, but the blank blue curtains behind them and the lack of any props/visual gags aside from the smoking fiddle make this kind of a bland experience.
I agree about the curtain details and similar things. What they were mimicking in the original was old Western and traveling medicine shows like that described as “The Royal Nonesuch” in Huckleberry Finn, which fits Frontierland. I can say, though, that for now at least you can find that kind of detail and show experience, including the changing rolled mural backdrops, in the “Hoop De Doo Revue” in Fort Wilderness. Check that out. You will appreciate the trip back to 1869, albeit with A/C and bathrooms, lol.

Professortango1

I agree about the curtain details and similar things. What they were mimicking in the original was old Western and traveling medicine shows like that described as “The Royal Nonesuch” in Huckleberry Finn, which fits Frontierland. I can say, though, that for now at least you can find that kind of detail and show experience, including the changing rolled mural backdrops, in the “Hoop De Doo Revue” in Fort Wilderness. Check that out. You will appreciate the trip back to 1869, albeit with A/C and bathrooms, lol.
I love the traveling show aesthetic. I work as a magician and have had the pleasure of performing on some really well designed stages in that motif. I just wish they had kept that visual storytelling and details in Country Bears.

EagleScout610

What a wisecracker
Premium Member
I've done some thinking, and I think my issue with Musical Jamboree is how little dialouge any of the characters have beside Henry, Sammy, and the heads. I think the only other dialouge is Shaker going "Huh?!" and Big Al sobbing. In the original the characters talked to each other during acts and made snide remarks at each other, or there was a gag after the curtains close (Ernest getting stung by bees in Vacation, or McGrowl's yodeling and proceeding to fall down). Thos little things gave so much whimsy to the original three shows.

It all just feels very stilted and scripted in Musical and like they just rush through performers til the end.

Last edited:

EagleScout610

What a wisecracker
Premium Member
This is a great point. Disney really seems to have lost sight of what people of all generations love. They want to be entertained. The novelty of the bears singing songs will eventually be lost, but many of us saw the old shows many times. It always seemed fresh and funny.
My other issue is that they tried to do the "Big Al comes back after his number" gag again, but after the others have already sang the final number. The original finale worked because everyone was trying to outsing Big Al and in repsonse got really rowdy and loud, perfect for a finale.

prberk

I love the traveling show aesthetic. I work as a magician and have had the pleasure of performing on some really well designed stages in that motif. I just wish they had kept that visual storytelling and details in Country Bears.
I've done some thinking, and I think my issue with Musical Jamboree is how little dialouge any of the characters have beside Henry, Sammy, and the heads. I think the only other dialouge is Shaker going "Huh?!" and Big Al sobbing. In the original the characters talked to each other during acts and made snide remarks at each other, or there was a gag after the curtains close (Ernest getting stung by bees in Vacation, or McGrowl's yodeling and proceeding to fall down). Thos little things gave so much whimsy to the original three shows.

It all just feels very stilted and scripted in Musical and like they just rush through performers til the end.
What you are both describing is what made the difference in the past: attention to detail and understanding what made the genre work to be entertaining, especially in the “old west/traveling medicine show” aesthetic of the jamboree. I recommend everyone at least support the Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue in Fort Wilderness while we still can find even that.

EagleScout610

What a wisecracker
Premium Member
What you are both describing is what made the difference in the past: attention to detail and understanding what made the genre work to be entertaining, especially in the “old west/traveling medicine show” aesthetic of the jamboree. I recommend everyone at least support the Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue in Fort Wilderness while we still can find even that.
Take the songs they covered that people knew, they added a little touch of whimsy to make it more than "Oh cool, the bears sang [song]". My favorite example is On The Road Again with Wendell's vacation slides showing his vacation going worse and worse before he takes a picture of the crowd and gets told off ("There's no flash photography during the show, and that means everybody, WENDELL!").

They didn't do that for Musical, except for Try Everything, but the joke misses because Trixie was never the adventurous type before. Wendell was the loveable dork who would naturally have a bad vacation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom