Could I be upgraded if I wait last minute to check in @ Pop Century??

21stamps

upgrades can happen, but from my experience only at the Deluxe level. I've been upgraded several times at the Grand Floridian (to club level), twice at contemporary (club level) and once at beach club again to club level. I think it's a last resort to move someone to another category of resort. Also asking at check-in to upgrade to another resort will always be at rack rate. Front Desk Cast Members can't offer any type of discount and managers won't likely move you unless of a major issue.

I’ve stayed at the monorail or Epcot resorts maybe 18 different trips.. never once been upgraded. :(. Ive never expected it though, and in some cases I would have been upset. I book room categories for a certain view, and wouldn’t want to lose that view even with an ‘upgrade’.

The POR thing was just stupid of me to book in the first place.. I’ve never had a desire to stay there.. I just literally booked a few days before the stay. We weren’t even there 2 full nights, and only 1 day.

I actually downgraded to All Star Sports., only because I want a room close to the main building, and the room at POR was too far for my liking. Luckily it worked out perfectly. We didn’t take the bus, but our room was right next to the bus stop and very close to our car. Can’t say that I would do it for more than a 1 day trip though.
Maybe I’m strange, but I have an easier time justifying the MK resort prices for 7-9 nights that I do for a less than 48 hour trip.lol

slappy magoo

Sometimes I feel like "wait-and-you-might-get-an-upgrade" is the Disney equivalent of the Rod Stewart/Bon Jovi/Lance Bass/Justin Bieber getting his stomach pumped after a naval base concert after party urban legend

daisyduckie

Going to Disney November 30th-December 4th!! 4 days left!! I won't arrive at Pop Century resort until around 1 a.m or 2 a.m. Should I wait to do check-in until I arrive at the hotel in hopes of being "walked" to a better, maybe moderate hotel upgrade?? Has this happened to anyone else before??

More than likely you will end up with a less desirable room. Even though they assign rooms a few days out, if someone who shows up ahead of you complains, they can take rooms out of assignment and give them out. Enough people do that and you are left with the bottom of the barrel rooms.

jimbojones

Sometimes I feel like "wait-and-you-might-get-an-upgrade" is the Disney equivalent of the Rod Stewart/Bon Jovi/Lance Bass/Justin Bieber getting his stomach pumped after a naval base concert after party urban legend
I've been upgraded twice, neither time did I ask, hint or otherwise try to manipulate the cast member at the front desk for an upgrade. One of those times was to club level but it was before I knew what that meant so I didn't take advantage of any of the club level perks :-( . It was pure chance from my perspective both times although they were both during extremely slow times in the 2000s, once in the early 2000s and the second time right after the 2007 financial crisis when the hotels felt nearly empty, which is hard to imagine today!

My family of four got upgraded from a "back side" room at the Contemporary to a front corner room during spring break. We had the closest room to the MK on the 8th floor. It was awwweeeeeeessoooooooommmeee. We didn't ask for it. The nice lady just gave it to us with a smile. :)

Going to Disney November 30th-December 4th!! 4 days left!! I won't arrive at Pop Century resort until around 1 a.m or 2 a.m. Should I wait to do check-in until I arrive at the hotel in hopes of being "walked" to a better, maybe moderate hotel upgrade?? Has this happened to anyone else before??

I'm confused why didn't you just book a moderate or deluxe resort to begin with? Sounds to me that you have champagne tastes but are only willing to pay beer prices. You should really reserve what you want when you book, trying to purposely cheat the system is wrong.

macey1790

Original Poster
I'm confused why didn't you just book a moderate or deluxe resort to begin with? Sounds to me that you have champagne tastes but are only willing to pay beer prices. You should really reserve what you want when you book, trying to purposely cheat the system is wrong.
Broke 18 year old college student who just asked to see if it was even possible lol.

MickeyMomV

It's possible, but not likely. What's more likely is that by checking in late, you end up with a less-desirable room that other guests have already rejected. It's a gamble -- although to be fair, "less-desirable" doesn't mean much when all of the rooms offer identical amenities, and other factors contributing to a room's desirability (location, floor) are in the eye of the beholder.

I would second this. A couple of trips ago we stayed at CSR and checked in about 12:30-1:00 am and ended up in the far corner of the resort (Rancho's 7A) as far away as you could get from the El Centro. We have learned our lesson and now we just pay for the preferred room so we can be closer to the main building.

Last edited:

MickeyMomV

That sticks in my craw as well. Questions like "What do we do to get free upgrades?", " Will online check in stop me from getting free upgrades?", "How do I make sure I get free upgrades?" are absolutely rampant on Facebook.

Part of me gets it, but the other part wants to give them an elaborate procedure to follow that will most certainly end in failure.
I love it when I read a "top 10" hints and tricks list on facebook and it tells people to ask because that's the only way to get an upgrade and the worst thing they can say is no. It just makes me laugh.

MickeyMomV

If they were overbooked when you arrived, you are more likely to end up in one of the least desirable rooms at one of the ALL STARS than at a moderate. But it has (rarely) happened. Wouldn't hold my breath if I was you though.
This would be interesting. So if POP is overbooked and they have to move you, downgrading you to an All Star is an option? I would like to know if this has ever actually happened to anybody? I suppose if it included 5 extra "open" fast passes per day I would be in.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
This would be interesting. So if POP is overbooked and they have to move you, downgrading you to an All Star is an option
Technically I don't believe it's a downgrade because the Pop like the All Stars is a value resort, so its not a "downgrade" I've stayed at both and both have their own unique charm, positives and negatives.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This would be interesting. So if POP is overbooked and they have to move you, downgrading you to an All Star is an option? I would like to know if this has ever actually happened to anybody? I suppose if it included 5 extra "open" fast passes per day I would be in.
It is an option, but it would be a last option kind of thing. General rule of thumb is when they tell someone that there is no room at the inn for them, they want to send them to what the guest will see as a better inn. Things go a lot smoother that way.

MickeyMomV

Technically I don't believe it's a downgrade because the Pop like the All Stars is a value resort, so its not a "downgrade" I've stayed at both and both have their own unique charm, positives and negatives.
Whenever we have looked at staying value POP usually costs more than the All Stars that is why I put it as a downgrade. I guess following the same thought process since AoA is also a value they could bounce you to an All Star if AoA was overbooked.....

ToTBellHop

It is an option, but it would be a last option kind of thing. General rule of thumb is when they tell someone that there is no room at the inn for them, they want to send them to what the guest will see as a better inn. Things go a lot smoother that way.
Ironically, last time I was at an All-Star, I felt like I was sleeping in a manger. I believe they are finally upgrading the beds...

21stamps

Ironically, last time I was at an All-Star, I felt like I was sleeping in a manger. I believe they are finally upgrading the beds...

I slept at All Star Sports 2 nights in November.. I didn’t have issues with the bed., but I also had just come off a 17 hour drive, not sure if I would have noticed either way ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom