Could I be upgraded if I wait last minute to check in @ Pop Century??

macey1790

Original Poster
Going to Disney November 30th-December 4th!! 4 days left!! I won't arrive at Pop Century resort until around 1 a.m or 2 a.m. Should I wait to do check-in until I arrive at the hotel in hopes of being "walked" to a better, maybe moderate hotel upgrade?? Has this happened to anyone else before??

macey1790

Original Poster
would first dibs on preferences be for those who have done early-check in through mydisneyexperience long before their actual arrival date? What qualifies someone to be "walked" when the hotel is overbooked?

wdwfan22

Going to Disney November 30th-December 4th!! 4 days left!! I won't arrive at Pop Century resort until around 1 a.m or 2 a.m. Should I wait to do check-in until I arrive at the hotel in hopes of being "walked" to a better, maybe moderate hotel upgrade?? Has this happened to anyone else before??

It's very rare to be bumped to a moderate. They almost always have rooms available in the same category so most likely you would be moved to the all-stars if pop was oversold.

beachlover4444

My sis works desk at Art of Animation. The hotels do get overbooked from time to time, on purpose, maintenance issues, guests extending etc. They have done upgrades to even the higher end resorts. She has said they usuallyt do not upgrade when someone asks for it because there are way to many people asking these days because articles in travel industries tell you to ask. But they do like to surprise people with upgrades when they can if available. I think it truly depends on the castmembers and their managers. But I would think if there was an overbooking, you stand a chance of being given one being one of the last to arrive. I know at Marriott, whoever was the last to walk in the door was the person we "walked" (when oversold) but we didnt always walk them to a better property than our own.

beachlover4444

Also we stayed at Pop a couple months ago. I didnt realize when booking but the prices on the newly renovated rooms is higher than the ones not renovated yet. I asked the cast member, very politely and not pushy, if there was a chance to get an updated room and she spoke to a manager and they did give it to us. The rooms at pop are smaller than Art but very nice, we enjoyed the stay alot.

Minnie Mum

If they were overbooked when you arrived, you are more likely to end up in one of the least desirable rooms at one of the ALL STARS than at a moderate. But it has (rarely) happened. Wouldn't hold my breath if I was you though.

Weather_Lady

It's possible, but not likely. What's more likely is that by checking in late, you end up with a less-desirable room that other guests have already rejected. It's a gamble -- although to be fair, "less-desirable" doesn't mean much when all of the rooms offer identical amenities, and other factors contributing to a room's desirability (location, floor) are in the eye of the beholder.

The one time we checked in late, all it meant for us was that there was insufficient inventory left to meet our one room request (close to elevator, to accommodate a party member with mobility issues).

ToTBellHop

It's possible, but not likely. What's more likely is that by checking in late, you end up with a less-desirable room that other guests have already rejected. It's a gamble -- although to be fair, "less-desirable" doesn't mean much when all of the rooms offer identical amenities, and other factors contributing to a room's desirability (location, floor) are in the eye of the beholder.

The one time we checked in late, all it meant for us was that there was insufficient inventory left to meet our one room request (close to elevator, to accommodate a party member with mobility issues).
Except for my stay at Pop where I had a room by the dumpsters. That was objectively gross. Why put rooms there?

Mander

In the Parks
No
I worked in a non-Disney, national park hotel.

When we upgraded someone to correct an error (third party booking errors and maintenance issues were our most common overbookings) I usually looked for notes regarding a special event- honeymoon, anniversary, birthday, etc. Occasionally I wouldn't have any of those and I'd upgrade someone randomly. The only way guests ever got an upgrade after asking for one is if I had the availability and they paid for it. When we had to "walk" a guest due to an overbooking we couldn't fix, it was usually the last person checking in (fingers crossed they no showed) and they'd get a discount if it was a lower priced room. Generally we tried to keep people in the same type of room they booked for that scenario but it wasn't always possible.

Personally, I'd check in and note your room requests. I have to imagine upgrades to moderates are exceedingly rare. You'd more likely get moved to an All Star or a LM room at AoA (if there happened to be one open).

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
would first dibs on preferences be for those who have done early-check in through mydisneyexperience long before their actual arrival date? What qualifies someone to be "walked" when the hotel is overbooked?
Walking guests to another resort is right next to a last option. This typically only happens when the resort is overbooked or rooms unexpectedly go out of service. Even then, it is avoided as guests surprisingly do not want to be moved, even if the move is an upgrade.

As to who gets selected...it is pretty much luck of the draw as there are a myriad of factors that on one day will get you walked, but on the next could have you staying put.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I was once upgraded from the All Star Movies to the Beach Club. It was a complete surprise, the rest of my family was staying at the All Star so I when I went to the front desk I was going to request to have a room near them. But before I could ask the cast member said they would like to upgrade my room to a moderate or higher. When she mentioned it was the Beach Club I wasn't about to turn that down! It was awesome to get the Beach Club at All Star prices! My family was upset they hadn't gotten the upgrade but didn't blame my hubs and I for taking the upgrade. This did happen during Pop Warner week so I imagine our All Star room when to a Pop Warner group.

It would be nice if it would happen again but that was about 10 trips ago and I don't expect for it to happen again.

Pixieish

This is where I think social media has been a negative. People sharing special "magical moments", little extras, or surprise upgrades on social media and the next thing you know, people are throwing fits that they didn't get the same treatment.

This forum in particular is very tame and I haven't yet seen entitled behavior here...but some of the expectations I've seen in other forums and on Facebook groups is downright sick.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This is where I think social media has been a negative. People sharing special "magical moments", little extras, or surprise upgrades on social media and the next thing you know, people are throwing fits that they didn't get the same treatment.

This forum in particular is very tame and I haven't yet seen entitled behavior here...but some of the expectations I've seen in other forums and on Facebook groups is downright sick.
That sticks in my craw as well. Questions like "What do we do to get free upgrades?", " Will online check in stop me from getting free upgrades?", "How do I make sure I get free upgrades?" are absolutely rampant on Facebook.

Part of me gets it, but the other part wants to give them an elaborate procedure to follow that will most certainly end in failure.

Last edited:

21stamps

I had booked POR (not much availability elsewhere) last minute, for 2 nights the weekend before Thanksgiving.

Preferred rooms were not available. I didn’t want to stay there. Upon Check In, or in lieu of Check in, I asked how much the difference would be to upgrade to Poly.
It was more than I was willing to spend.

This was right around 9pm.. so the chances of that room selling were slim to none.
I asked for a discount, can’t hurt to ask, right?
I was denied.lol.

Based on that experience, I’d say that a chance for a “Free Upgrade” is also slim.

wdwfan22

I had booked POR (not much availability elsewhere) last minute, for 2 nights the weekend before Thanksgiving.

Preferred rooms were not available. I didn’t want to stay there. Upon Check In, or in lieu of Check in, I asked how much the difference would be to upgrade to Poly.
It was more than I was willing to spend.

This was right around 9pm.. so the chances of that room selling were slim to none.
I asked for a discount, can’t hurt to ask, right?
I was denied.lol.

Based on that experience, I’d say that a chance for a “Free Upgrade” is also slim.

upgrades can happen, but from my experience only at the Deluxe level. I've been upgraded several times at the Grand Floridian (to club level), twice at contemporary (club level) and once at beach club again to club level. I think it's a last resort to move someone to another category of resort. Also asking at check-in to upgrade to another resort will always be at rack rate. Front Desk Cast Members can't offer any type of discount and managers won't likely move you unless of a major issue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom