Could customized shows be impetus for WOC at WDW?

mgf

Original Poster
Saw this via a RT by __________ on Twitter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UMtGs65xgkM#

Could the ability to sell WOC for after-hours shows be a big enough revenue generator to tip the scales on a similar experience for WDW? (The boost to attendance would not hurt either.)

AK would benefit the most as there is little to draw in corporate events at that park, correct? It might also be an interesting element (logistics aside) in drawing money into a more adult oriented PI-type area.

The WOC rumors have been discussed ad nauseum, but given the apparent business-over-magic focus at TDO this seemingly goes a long way in justifying a significant capital expenditure. Thoughts?

Cmdr_Crimson

Well awhile back there was rumors of a similar WoC in Lake Buena Vista in DTD for the Hyperion Wharf section..I can only think that they would utilize the same kind of projection for Fantasmic since it's on the wayside of newer projections.

I don't know how well it would work for AK as the viewing area's would be really difficult to configure to guests. The only decent view you have is right at the bridge by Finding Nemo The Musical and E:E the other spots are blocked by trees..

DisneyBoi1215

Well awhile back there was rumors of a similar WoC in Lake Buena Vista in DTD for the Hyperion Wharf section..I can only think that they would utilize the same kind of projection for Fantasmic since it's on the wayside of newer projections.

I don't know how well it would work for AK as the viewing area's would be really difficult to configure to guests. The only decent view you have is right at the bridge by Finding Nemo The Musical and E:E the other spots are blocked by trees..

I think it could work over in that lagoon area near Everest and Nemo, but I think it would work a lot better if they put it in IllumiNation's place. Just my opinion, though.

Buried20KLeague

IT'S BEEN STATED OVER AND OVER:

A WoC type show can NOT USE A "REAL" LAKE. It has to be a manmade lagoon with the ability to treat the water, etc.

The lake in front of E:E is full of animal life. And the lake connects to the river around the tree. And the life in the lake and rivers sort of follows the theme of the park, no?

There's no way they would drain it all, concrete it all in, get rid of all the animal life (and work hard to KEEP it out when it would be encroaching on all sides because of the nature of the park), shoehorn viewing areas in, etc...

The only way it would go in AK would be in a manmade stadium setting built from scratch somewhere else.

I see no reason they would do that when they've got an already built stadium setting with a stale show in a stale park that could use an attendance boost.

Buried20KLeague

I think it could work over in that lagoon area near Everest and Nemo, but I think it would work a lot better if they put it in IllumiNation's place. Just my opinion, though.

See my previous post.

Also... WoC would be basically impossible to create with the idea in mind that it would be viewable in 360 degrees (as is illuminations). It would have to have multiple "copies" of it going on to different angles (like the screens at F!, or even the different stations of fountains and fireworks in Illuminations), which would mean you'd be cutting way back on the size and grand scale the show currently is... Which is a big part of why it is so impressive.

The nature of the show requires it be viewed from a specific angle and side... And I think doing anything other than that would sacrifice show quality.

TP2000

Saw this via a RT by __________ on Twitter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UMtGs65xgkM#

Could the ability to sell WOC for after-hours shows be a big enough revenue generator to tip the scales on a similar experience for WDW? (The boost to attendance would not hurt either.)

That's a fun video, and I can imagine that it was extra-super fun for the employees at the Blizzard Holiday Party after hours in DCA that night. (For those unfamiliar with video games, Blizzard Entertainment is a very succesful video game company with about 5,000 employees in Irvine, California, about 15 minutes down the freeway from Disneyland.)

The possibilities for this at WDW corporate events are huge.

World Of Color has been used for several of these types of corporate parties, due to its easy ability to program and create custom shows for corporate clients. In addition, Disney has already changed or introduced a half dozen new shows for public consumption just in the last 18 months. The latest twist is the clever Prep & Landing pre-show for the Christmas season this year, playing twice nightly seven days per week.

World of Color (WOC), in a very short amount of time, has shown to be a technology and concept that is extremely flexible and easily changed and updated. The performances they did on New Years Eve at DCA last year, and they'll do again on New Years Eve in a few weeks, really demonstrate exactly what this technology is capable of. On NYE they performed two regular 25 minute shows earlier in the evening, then celebrated Midnight with a fantastic custom show with fireworks behind Paradise Pier and fireworks launched from the WOC platform itself (plus fireworks launched from elecTRONica nearby and a little park next door called Disneyland, which filled the sky with fire and sound), and they then rolled right into the third WOC show of the night immediately after the custom show a few minutes after Midnight. :eek:

Here's the fantastic New Years Eve technology on display at WOC's custom Midnight show last year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZATeCG0OOc&feature=related

And this is all controlled by just a few people in a control booth. The possibilities for a larger custom WOC venue at Walt Disney World are practically endless.

GrumpyFan

IT'S BEEN STATED OVER AND OVER:

A WoC type show can NOT USE A "REAL" LAKE. It has to be a manmade lagoon with the ability to treat the water, etc.

The lake in front of E:E is full of animal life. And the lake connects to the river around the tree. And the life in the lake and rivers sort of follows the theme of the park, no?

There's no way they would drain it all, concrete it all in, get rid of all the animal life (and work hard to KEEP it out when it would be encroaching on all sides because of the nature of the park), shoehorn viewing areas in, etc...

The only way it would go in AK would be in a manmade stadium setting built from scratch somewhere else.

I see no reason they would do that when they've got an already built stadium setting with a stale show in a stale park that could use an attendance boost.

While I agree that the technology would do well if used in conjunction with a new story line at DHS, I believe too that i could be installed at AK and maybe even EPCOT. Sure, it would take some work, but it COULD be done if they built man-made/concrete (clean) water areas in containment pockets in these bodys of water. They would have to separate the natural areas from the concrete areas with a retaining wall, and then blend them in together. It would not be easy, nor cheap, but it COULD be done.

c-one

Fantasmic is stale, but people are still showing up to it. Illuminations will probably live forever in some form. It makes sense to put it in AK, even if it means building a special stadium for it.

Skipper03

Fantasmic is stale, but people are still showing up to it. Illuminations will probably live forever in some form. It makes sense to put it in AK, even if it means building a special stadium for it.

I thought that night events at AK were intentionally limited because of the animal population? Maybe not?

And yes, this show should be fanastic anywhere at WDW. This Feb. will be 2nd time to see the show in person... it's seriously my favorite Disney night show from any park... just amazing!

The Empress Lilly

Here's the fantastic New Years Eve technology on display at WOC's custom Midnight show last year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZATeCG0OOc&feature=related

And this is all controlled by just a few people in a control booth. The possibilities for a larger custom WOC venue at Walt Disney World are practically endless.

:eek:

Wow! Fantastic!

Apart from the possibilities for WoC at WDW, this makes me think that they really do seem to manage to give DCA an identity of it's own. That park is coming alive, is coming into it's own.

Next Big Thing

Wow! Fantastic!

Apart from the possibilities for WoC at WDW, this makes me think that they really do seem to manage to give DCA an identity of it's own. That park is coming alive, is coming into it's own.
Universal Studios Florida is getting a show that will be similar to WoC next year and even possibly be BETTER. USF hasn't announced it yet, but construction/work for the show is already well under way.

Flight Safety

Wow! :eek: And I though our NYE shows were amazing! I have never really been jealous of DL until now. In 27 years I have only missed a handful of NYE in WDW, but I think I may be saving up for a trip to the west coast for NYE 2012.

Although I love all of our current shows, I would love to see this incorporated into WDW somewhere, even if simply to add this tech to F! or something along those lines. I don't really like the idea of replacing something, but updating isn't always bad. I think anything involving fireworks, and or very loud music / noise is out of the question at AK. I don't think the animals would like it very much. If there were a way to have DTD host the show this would be really cool. I know it wasn't much, but celebrating NYE in PI every night was pretty cool. Even if it were a scaled down WOC show in whatever DTD is to become, it would be welcomed by me.

puntagordabob

Agree.... had the pleasure of seeing WoC in 2010 and it is incredible.....add the ability to change it up with a push of a button (well maybe a little more than that lol) makes it something that can be "new" for a good long time

TP2000

Wow! Fantastic!

Yeah, that New Years Eve show in December, 2010 was a real exclamation point on a very good year for DCA. It had all the Internetz talking and the local AP's are mostly heading to DCA this New Years Eve instead of the traditional Disneyland.

They've been testing World of Color overnights in the last week, as they are changing up the 2011 New Years Eve show a bit from last year. These special shows do require some overnight testing and playtime with the show designers, once they've got the basics designed on a computer in an office somewhere. But it's a technology and hardware system sitting in that lagoon that has seemingly unlimited possibilities, as seen in that NYE video.

For all World of Color did for DCA in the first year of its 3 year long Extreme Makeover construction, I would think it would be a great thing for WDW to add to DAK just before Avatarland opens, or perhaps the year before.

yensid67

My WOC Opinion...

Not that I have any insider information or starting a rumor, BUT...

..if TDO does NOT decide to put a WOC nighttime attraction SOMEWHERE on WDW property, THAT WOULD BE THE WORSE DECISION THEY COULD EVER MAKE! I think that the potential for corporate events spectacular, not to mention the profits from these shows, and for a regular nighttime spectacle, I am all for putting this type of entertainment somewhere on property. My first thought would be at DTD for a closing spectacle to close the DTD area each night! They could easily place the set up away from DTD along the tree line across from the shores, therefore they could use whatever size area they need and still not disturb the shorelines around DTD or the sealife! Any other place would probably have to be constructed from step one! They could easily implement this into DTD lake and make a viewing areas somewhat like Fantasmic! If they did put a WOC attraction at DTD, think of the crowds it would bring in each night!!!!

Hey, just a thought!

Buried20KLeague

Yeah, that New Years Eve show in December, 2010 was a real exclamation point on a very good year for DCA. It had all the Internetz talking and the local AP's are mostly heading to DCA this New Years Eve instead of the traditional Disneyland.

They've been testing World of Color overnights in the last week, as they are changing up the 2011 New Years Eve show a bit from last year. These special shows do require some overnight testing and playtime with the show designers, once they've got the basics designed on a computer in an office somewhere. But it's a technology and hardware system sitting in that lagoon that has seemingly unlimited possibilities, as seen in that NYE video.

For all World of Color did for DCA in the first year of its 3 year long Extreme Makeover construction, I would think it would be a great thing for WDW to add to DAK just before Avatarland opens, or perhaps the year before.

I really don't understand why anyone thinks AK is the right place for a WOC type show.

It's perfect for DHS, the stadium is there and offers a slightly different viewing angle than in DCA, which I think they could seriously exploit in their favor.

Plus we all know TDO... I'm sure they'd love to axe the high cost of F! nightly for the inexpensive (after install) WOC.

I believe there's no chance AK gets the show.

c-one

I thought that night events at AK were intentionally limited because of the animal population? Maybe not?

And yes, this show should be fanastic anywhere at WDW. This Feb. will be 2nd time to see the show in person... it's seriously my favorite Disney night show from any park... just amazing!
Well they can't do fireworks because it would freak the animals out. But World of Color -- relatively quiet, not a pyro show, low to the ground -- would probably work as long as it wasn't right next to the animals.

PamelaNiebergal

I would love it if they replaced Fantasmic with WoC at DHS. It's a spectacular show but seeing it and finding a decent view is a logistical nightmare. Having it in a stadium would totally address that. It would be amazing to sit and really enjoy the show without any obstacles. Disneyland's Fantasmic is still incredible, but WDW's version is getting very tired in comparison (IMO). I would not be sad to see it go and WoC would be the perfect replacement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom