Could Children's Place be gone from Disney Store??

mpoppins76

I have been a fan of this site for sometime now and decided to make my first post now regarding the WOD, NYC.

I am a cast member at the WOD, I work on the first floor. As far as I know the store will be staying on 5th ave.

Keep up the good work everyone. I enjoying reading the posts everyday.
:sohappy: hope you're right, thanks!! I've probably seen you there many times...it is my lunchtime "escape" at lease once a week :eek:

ccmuffin2

Actually ccmuffin, he was responding to my comment in the original post, and his response DEFINITELY made sense.

In the CNN story they talked about CP not doing well, but then referred to the Flagship Manhattan store, which is not CP owned. SO - I asked why CNN Money combined the two, because one did not have to do with the other.

So - before you go on a rant - understand the post you are ranting ABOUT. :zipit:
I believe you do have a right to start a tread just as much as everyone does and I think your thread is a valid subject of interest to discuss , just as much as mine was the other day. I was asking Mr. Professor with almost 8000 posts as to why he has a wishy washy view as to who he picks and chooses who to police according to his likes and dislikes level . My first thought was Here he comes he's gonna police your post instead of letting the mods decide a level of interest to other users.. Funny thing is I Don't see anyone else reacting so quickly to judge and making his case inside the tread as to why it should be removed from the boards " Right Away ! because I don't see how it pertains to WDW " Comments made by other users defending thier interest in the treads are framed by these types of comments .Can we just enjoy our interest in Disney Activities , read the treads that attract our interest and keep these type of personal negative interest comments away from other users positive thoughts. I kind of look to this site as a source of release to my daily grind. Lets keep the energy flow positive for every user..

ccmuffin2

hahahaha...ok, I'll bite.

A) Unlike your thread, I did not start this thread.
B) I was answering a question regarding a store that is operated by Walt Disney Parks and Resorts and sells Walt Disney World and Disneyland Theme Park merchandise, so this thread's relevance to a WDW Parks and Resorts forum is far less tenuous than your discussion of a film that may or may not be produced and whether or not it will appear in theatres or on Disney Channel.

Did I explain that well enough to meet your high standards? I even used good grammar and punctuation, though that is apparently not for everyone, either.

I never thought you started this tread ..I never wrote that in my post .. Where do you get that idea from ?
You jump to negative thoughts and posting your interest level ,without even consider how it may interest other people .. why do you do that ?

When other people voice thier defensive feelings of how it interests them ,do you only then realize .. " I guess some people do like that "

I try to think of everything 3-D as to respect the feelings of others::lookaroun

ToTBellHop

I never thought you started this tread ..I never wrote that in my post .. Where do you get that idea from ?
You jump to negative thoughts and posting your interest level ,without even consider how it may interest other people .. why do you do that ?

When other people voice thier defensive feelings of how it interests them ,do you only then realize .. " I guess some people do like that "

I try to think of everything 3-D as to respect the feelings of others::lookaroun
I never said your thread was uninteresting. I said it was misplaced. I've been here since 2001. Believe me, people jump down each other's throats all the time. I was on WDWMagic back when it was an email list, and there have always been some intense discussions. What I fail to see is the point of your preaching toward me with sarcasm about my preaching toward you with sarcasm.

raven

I used to work for TDS up until the time CP took over. It isn't the same without being under the Disney name. :(

bryPOD

:sohappy: hope you're right, thanks!! I've probably seen you there many times...it is my lunchtime "escape" at lease once a week :eek:

I also use the store as an escape from the reality of NYC and as a way of getting a feel of what WDW is like during holidays (Halloween, Christmas, St.Patrick's, etc). True I'm in WDW twice or more a year, but the store is a great mini-fix.

Plus they have the best public restroom in NYC, lol...

ccmuffin2

I never said your thread was uninteresting. I said it was misplaced. I've been here since 2001. Believe me, people jump down each other's throats all the time. I was on WDWMagic back when it was an email list, and there have always been some intense discussions. What I fail to see is the point of your preaching toward me with sarcasm about my preaching toward you with sarcasm.

It's apparent you thrive " Intense Discussions "

It's apparent you read just about every post here on the site , and have a thought of your own you are looking to voice in 2-D.

" Believe me, people jump down each other's throats all the time "

Is that your best excuse for the way you act toward others ?

" about my preaching toward you with sarcasm "

You admit your sarcastic first and question why someone might be inclined to say anything back to you once you have ranted your sarcasm ?

" What I fail to see is the point of your preaching toward me with sarcasm about my preaching toward you with sarcasm"

I'm Laughing so hard ..I'm Crying!! HAaaaaa HAaaaaa Oh Oh Stop Stop Stop !!! That's so funny !!!
To quote The Borg.... " Resistance is Futile "

I just recently, as in last week, started working at the Disney Store in the Staten Island Mall here in New York. It's a blast working there, everyone is soooo nice that it actually makes me feel like i am working at Disney World. But really other then that there are few more similarities to the Disney Store and the Disney Parks, or even the older Disney Stores (when Disney actually operated them).
I have to say the items we sell are nothing more the CP's clothing with the disney characters and logos on them. However, the new Halloween costumes are amazing; PRICEY but amazing!
Hopefully this news will come true and Disney will re-take control of the stores, and return it to its former glory!

P.S - I really hope the start selling pins, so i can use my discount! :sohappy: LOL

I'mtheonlyone

I managed the adult and collectible departments in the West Farms and Buckland stores.

One of the reasons why adults and collectibles dissappeared was that no one would purchase any of the product unless it was at a deep discount.

On the other hand, the children's departments were always profitable.

I walk into TDS now and you're all right... the magic is gone. 2 CMs behind the register talking to each other or walking right by you without saying a word IS NOT the way TDS was run in the past. Remember the "greeter" and CMs in every department? We used to sing to our guests as we were closing ("Now it's time to say goodbye to all our company..."). Guests would come to our store and purchase because it WAS Disney.

It's definately NOT the same and it makes me sad when I walk in today. :(

5th Avenue is one of the few stores left that make a positive impression to the community.

tirian

I managed the adult and collectible departments in the West Farms and Buckland stores.

One of the reasons why adults and collectibles dissappeared was that no one would purchase any of the product unless it was at a deep discount.

On the other hand, the children's departments were always profitable.

I walk into TDS now and you're all right... the magic is gone. 2 CMs behind the register talking to each other or walking right by you without saying a word IS NOT the way TDS was run in the past. Remember the "greeter" and CMs in every department? We used to sing to our guests as we were closing ("Now it's time to say goodbye to all our company..."). Guests would come to our store and purchase because it WAS Disney.

It's definately NOT the same and it makes me sad when I walk in today. :(

5th Avenue is one of the few stores left that make a positive impression to the community.

Your quote brings up several valid points that I've developed:

1) The Disney Store did a better job of representing Disney when it carried more than children's clothes.

2) The quality began slipping when TDS carried only children's clothes and became a huge princess department.

3) With nothing to buy but overpriced princess outfits, Guests stopped shopping at TDS.

4) Now it's another mall in the store. It sells Wal-Mart quality clothes at theme park prices, except when TDS is having an El Cheapo sale--which is pretty often!

But most of you are forgetting something important. The original Disney store was extremely overpriced! Much of the merchandise cost more there than at WDW! That's part of the reason that the stores didn't perform well; Disney was charging as much as Ralph Lauren, and the quality was nowhere near the same. The toys were expensive and not much different than those at Wal-Mart, the collectibles were insanely overpriced and somewhat tacky, and the clothes cost as much as those at Express or Banana Republic (my personal favorites). Remember when the video tapes were $22.99 at TDS, and $14.99 at Wal-Mart? TDS was targeted to families and priced like a trendy boutique. They killed themselves.

ToTBellHop

Your quote brings up several valid points that I've developed:

1) The Disney Store did a better job of representing Disney when it carried more than children's clothes.

2) The quality began slipping when TDS carried only children's clothes and became a huge princess department.

3) With nothing to buy but overpriced princess outfits, Guests stopped shopping at TDS.

4) Now it's another mall in the store. It sells Wal-Mart quality clothes at theme park prices, except when TDS is having an El Cheapo sale--which is pretty often!

But most of you are forgetting something important. The original Disney store was extremely overpriced! Much of the merchandise cost more there than at WDW! That's part of the reason that the stores didn't perform well; Disney was charging as much as Ralph Lauren, and the quality was nowhere near the same. The toys were expensive and not much different than those at Wal-Mart, the collectibles were insanely overpriced and somewhat tacky, and the clothes cost as much as those at Express or Banana Republic (my personal favorites). Remember when the video tapes were $22.99 at TDS, and $14.99 at Wal-Mart? TDS was targeted to families and priced like a trendy boutique. They killed themselves.
they also overbuilt. I remember in my hometown, Rochester, NY, each of our four malls had a Disney Store at one point (no longer the case). When you create an overpriced boutique like they had, there is simply no need for 4 stores serving one city. That said, I do miss the old selection...I almost have no reason to go to a Disney Store any more: the only purchase I've made there in years was when I bought a stuffed animal for my girlfriend, whereas I do buy stuff in the World of Disney.

TheDisneyGirl02

i have a cousin that lives in Sellersville/Quakertown area that works at the Disney Store. I see you live in Allentown.... would you 2 be working in the same store or are there many by you?
I work at the Lehigh Valley Mall Disney Store...she may work at the Montgomeryville store, which is bit south of me.

As far as adult clothing is concerned, it's like people will never be happy with what the stores have to offer. People say to bring back more adult clothing and then won't buy it because it's 'not the right price'. The stores are darned if they do and darned if they don't, I guess. Personally, I love the clothing that we've been getting in. It is selling and I think the quality is better than some of the quality of merchandise at WDW. It always amazes me that people are willing to drop $30 at WDW for a shirt but won't pay $12.50 for one at the stores. :shrug:

My store is lucky...we are the only store with 45 minute radius so we do get a lot of traffic through the door. They did not overbuild in my area, thankfully and because of that, my store does rather well.

I truly believe that working for any part of Disney takes a Disney type of person...a special person who can make magic happen for even a slight second. I still like to do that for the guests. With Halloween coming up, it's always fun to see the kids dressed up like the characters walking around the store. I try to make a little magic for them by saying that "I can't believe Cinderella is in the store" or "Captain Hook is here, I'd better be on my best behavior". I don't care who signs my paycheck, when I'm in that store it's Disney to me and I'm going to make it magical for the guests as much as I can.

EPCOT Explorer

Ah, the gallery on the 3rd floor. I could redecorate my home!
I miss the original DS. I am a former CM of the Menlo Park, NJ store before the CP took it over. It's not the same at all. It is missing the disney magic. It's like any other mall store except has Disney themed stuff. Remember the original "purple" stores with the dark ceiling, studio lighting and Disney figures aroud the top of the displays? Now that WAS Disney!
I want my REAL Disney Store back!!!!!!:cry:
I LOVED those...The CP stores just arn't the same...Desides,they had pins!

Marley's Ghost

Former CM

I love working for the mouse at the store. I worked back in the varsity days. I met my wife there (who also worked there) I loved the trivia between CMs and I loved the overall attitude. I feel like that is gone. When I worked there a "customer" had to cross the tile and take the items "off Disney property"
This is what is missed and yes It was along time ago. but to me it was special and that made me make it special for "my guests".

Slowjack

Yes. What Walmart does is price itself so low that it puts its competitors out of business, then starts raising its prices in those areas. When you have the buying power of 4000ish stores in the US alone, you can get your suppliers to do basically whatever you want.

Stores like Macy's have to charge more because they have a much smaller piece of the pie when Walmart is grabbing it all. If they are only get 1/5th of the customers, they have to charge a lot more to make the same amount.

Yes, its cheaper for the consumer to buy there in the long run. But the many bad things about the company will hurt the economy very badly. What would happen to these communities where Walmart is 'the only game in town' now if Walmart went out of business? Complete failure of the local economy. And don't say thats farfetched. Mark this down right now, Walmart will file for bankruptcy before 2020.
Again, you are kidding yourself if you think that Wal-Mart prices affect Macy's prices. The average household income for Wal-Mart shoppers is $35,000. The average household income for a Costco shopper is over $70,000. I don't have numbers for Macy's but I think we can assume it's up there with Costco, at least. People who buy most of their clothes at Wal-Mart are not even considering buying clothes at Macy's. Heck, half of Wal-Mart's shoppers don't even have a bank account, let alone a credit card. How many Macy's shoppers do you think don't have a credit card? It makes no sense to say that Macy's pie is smaller because of Wal-Mart, because they are not the same pie.

Put another way, if Burger King dramatically lowered its prices, that would have serious repercussions at McDonald's. But it wouldn't affect the prices at a high-end steakhouse, or even someplace in the middle like Applebee's. Offering the same product isn't the same as serving the same market.

Saying that Wal-Mart can operate on lower margins than other stores that cater to the same demographic, and may put them out of business--that makes sense. But saying that Wal-Mart makes prices higher at higher-end retailers does not.

epcotcenter2001

For those of you that don't know the World of Disney on 5th Ave is not owed or operated by The Children's Place. Walt Disney World Florida operates the story and drives the merchandise development.

I know 5th Ave might seem like a prime location but WDW executives would love to move the location to Times Square as more tourists visit the store than anything else.

TheDisneyGirl02

I love working for the mouse at the store. I worked back in the varsity days. I met my wife there (who also worked there) I loved the trivia between CMs and I loved the overall attitude. I feel like that is gone. When I worked there a "customer" had to cross the tile and take the items "off Disney property"
This is what is missed and yes It was along time ago. but to me it was special and that made me make it special for "my guests".

Don't you worry, we still have 'customers' in my store...but our guests are still our guests. The attitude in my store hasn't changed since the change over - management is still the same and although CMs have come and gone, the good ones always stay.

We still do Disney trivia in my store between CMs and have a great Disney time!

I worked last night at my store and I had so many people telling me how much they love coming into the store. How great the merchandise is and how they love the clothing lines for both adults and children. It was very nice to hear that since not too many people are fond of the stores anymore, which is sad. We can't help it that we were sold to TCP, but at least at my store, we keep the Disney spirit alive and well. I worked with a CM last night who just started 2 days ago. She asked the guest for their autograph and not their signature on a credit card slip. If that's not something Disney would do, I don't know what is.

TheDisneyGirl02

wedway71

WOW....
I go for training out of state for 2 months and this is whats going on...

I have followed Disney Store since it opened its first store.

I think Disney should react on the breach of contract with CP and pull the stores back.

I think they should be under the Parks and Resorts arm of the company this time verses the Consumer Products Division.
Cut the number of stores to about 100-150 in USA/Canada since the Disney Store in Europe are still owned but TWDC.

Make each store unique and themed to the location tied in with Disney.
Use multi media a huge part of Synergy that allows Guests to book Disney vacations on line and DVC as well.
I have a whole list of things I would change but no time now.
I wonder if I should send them my Resume to run the chain-lol.
I would love to use my 18 years or Executive Mgt Experience in Retail to work for Disney( currently a Human Resources Director for a large Specialty Retailer).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom