Could Boo Bash be a hint for the future?

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Everywhere I go in Chicago there are signs stating they’re hiring at all positions. I’m hearing the same from relatives in other locations. Apparently Disney is immune from staffing shortages and is composed entirely of evil corporate bosses seeking to take advantage of its guests. Who knew?

So it’s “staffing issues” that are causing all of this? Sure that explains the overflowing trash cans.

But you’re saying that Disney invested significantly into My Magic + and its evolution and they did it so they could sell some collectors bands, let you open your room door via an RFID chip, and save you some time by not having to pull out your wallet for every transaction?

Yeah I guess the data has nothing to do with it. Your spending patterns, dinning patterns, ride patterns, etc. none of that is important to Disney. They’d never ever use that type of data in any way that could financially benefit them. In fact, they probably don’t have the staff to handle those analytics.

SteveAZee

I agree with this premise: everyone has a breaking point

I just honestly don’t believe everyone is aware that they have a breaking point…the bliss of unknowing - I guess?
I'm thinking that perhaps the opposite may be true. I think people are getting REALLY uncomfortable with the cutback in services, increased prices, and added fees. Some people can vent it here, some people claim disloyalty by Disney to their guests, most are annoyed that the thing that they've known and loved is getting to be out of their reach. Some are just uncomfortable with change. LOL, I have a lot of trouble finding bliss on this board; some people's methods of adjusting are perhaps better than others, for their own sakes.

Chi84

Premium Member
So it’s “staffing issues” that are causing all of this? Sure that explains the overflowing trash cans.

But you’re saying that Disney invested significantly into My Magic + and its evolution and they did it so they could sell some collectors bands, let you open your room door via an RFID chip, and save you some time by not having to pull out your wallet for every transaction?

Yeah I guess the data has nothing to do with it. Your spending patterns, dinning patterns, ride patterns, etc. none of that is important to Disney. They’d never ever use that type of data in any way that could financially benefit them. In fact, they probably don’t have the staff to handle those analytics.
I've said before that the Disney company has changed significantly in recent years, with little indication that it will go back to what it was before. Some people will not be able to accept those changes and will either stop visiting or will continue to visit but complain about the changes. Others will find value in what is offered and will approach their visits with a positive attitude. Neither is right or wrong - it's just a matter of personal choice. As far as I'm concerned, if it gets to the point where I need to feel bad about going to Disney, I will stop going. There's no way I'm going to give money to a company that I believe is about nothing but taking advantage of its customers.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
False Equivalency

You don't turn around and tell your contracted software devs, hey, this sprint you are gonna be on janitor shifts... *rolleyes*

No you cut your software devs to pay more to get people to service the parks. If it’s a money issue. Which it most likely isn’t.

If Disney is having trouble at $15 an hour then go to $20 or $25 if the customer experience is that important to you. Or you get managers, supervisors or execs to don some white uniforms. I’ve had software devs that have had to double as release manager, technical writer, and QA - in a pinch. I’m sure the supervisor at the Emporium could chip in and help empty the can by the fire station.

Again only if you feel it’s important enough to you. Or you double or triple the amount of trash cans. If it’s important to you.

Otherwise, you just let the garbage overflow. And try and mitigate the social media fallout and customer service calls.

flynnibus

Premium Member
No you cut your software devs to pay more to get people to service the parks. If it’s a money issue. Which it most likely isn’t.

Ehh...
1) They already cut alot of their staff and outsource it
2) A project like this is a project to drive revenue while janitors are an expense. If you are money pinched you don't cut your new revenue generators to focus on overhead.

If Disney is having trouble at $15 an hour then go to $20 or $25 if the customer experience is that important to you. Or you get managers, supervisors or execs to don some white uniforms. I’ve had software devs that have had to double as release manager, technical writer, and QA - in a pinch. I’m sure the supervisor at the Emporium could chip in and help empty the can by the fire station.

All noble thoughts, but they only go so far. But still doesn't justify your absurd equivalency.

The labor situation isn't purely a $$.. companies can throw money around like candy at this point and still struggle to get people onboard. Labor is one of the biggest variables in the company's expenses... turning around and doubling that line item is not something easily undone.

Tony the Tigger

Sorry that you don’t understand the way the world works.
Obnoxious.
Really?
They’d never ever use that type of data in any way that could financially benefit them.
Again, literally their job. Any company that isn't doing this already is working on it.
But they do have the staff to develop and deploy Genie. You tell me. Where does the priority lie?
Just ripping you off, Mr. Victim. You should quit.
No you cut your software devs to pay more to get people to service the parks. If it’s a money issue.
Now look who doesn't know how the world works.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is entirely ignorant.

"Intent to return" is a hugely important metric within the company. Disney still cares about guest satisfaction, believe it or not. Not because they're benevolent and loving, because they want you come back in two years.
You think this new distribution system isn’t about maximum yield from customers/use of staffing?

I got some beans to sell you.
I'm thinking that perhaps the opposite may be true. I think people are getting REALLY uncomfortable with the cutback in services, increased prices, and added fees. Some people can vent it here, some people claim disloyalty by Disney to their guests, most are annoyed that the thing that they've known and loved is getting to be out of their reach. Some are just uncomfortable with change. LOL, I have a lot of trouble finding bliss on this board; some people's methods of adjusting are perhaps better than others, for their own sakes.
We Won’t know until 2023 at this point…the travel system is wrecked and provides cover when it’s wounded

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Do you have a point?
The idea that the “genie” will be about “sending you to what we think your heart desires”…as opposed to crowd control, operation slotting and using exiting overhead…is more befit of “Captain Poland” than ‘Merica…

I see this inference all the time: “if their guest satisfaction numbers fall…they’ll be in trouble”. Like it’s the specter of the last line of defense.

they create their own “satisfaction numbers” and feed it to the press and the industry. And they’re excellent at it.

I’m sure everyone wants a ride on figment before going to nine dragons for lunch…”thanks, Genie!!!” 👍🏻

Tony the Tigger

The idea that the “genie” will be about “sending you to what we think your heart desires”…as opposed to crowd control, operation slotting and using exiting overhead…is more befit of “Captain Poland” than ‘Merica…

I see this inference all the time: “if their guest satisfaction numbers fall…they’ll be in trouble”. Like it’s the specter of the last line of defense.

they create their own “satisfaction numbers” and feed it to the press and the industry. And they’re excellent at it.

I’m sure everyone wants a ride on figment before going to nine dragons for lunch…”thanks, Genie!!!” 👍🏻
I mean…duh. And?

Are people here so idealistic that they don’t understand that’s the entire purpose of a business?

Are you surprised? Shocked? Horrified?

First of all, we haven’t even seen it in action. Maybe they’ll offer multiple suggestions: the shortest wait, the closest place to your current location or next “fast pass,” the most popular, etc.

And they are suggestions. That’s all. Nothing to be hysterical about. If it gets some people to go to Figment instead of Frozen, so what? Maybe it will suggest Frozen when there is a lower than average wait time.

There is nothing sinister about this. They are going for efficiency, here.

You don’t think retail stores are designed to get more people to walk a certain way and advantage certain products? You don’t think there are psychological aspects to merchandising? This ain’t Disney’s Main Street anymore. It’s more sophisticated, and progress continues moving forward, so get on board. “There’s a great big beautiful tomorrow…”

Disstevefan1

Am I crazy for thinking Disney is doing a test of some sort for boo bash? Think about this, opening Disney parks earlier for guests until 7pm then pay double to have lower wait times from 7-12? Almost like extra magic hours except you have to pay. It seems like that’s what boo bash basically is. I could see them doing something like that permanently for certain parks. Thoughts?
A big yes on this. Effectively Disney can charge for a day ticket and a night ticket for the same day. This would truly make shareholders very happy and as we all know, shareholders are number 1 at TWDC..

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I mean…duh. And?

Are people here so idealistic that they don’t understand that’s the entire purpose of a business?

Are you surprised? Shocked? Horrified?

First of all, we haven’t even seen it in action. Maybe they’ll offer multiple suggestions: the shortest wait, the closest place to your current location or next “fast pass,” the most popular, etc.

And they are suggestions. That’s all. Nothing to be hysterical about. If it gets some people to go to Figment instead of Frozen, so what? Maybe it will suggest Frozen when there is a lower than average wait time.

There is nothing sinister about this. They are going for efficiency, here.

You don’t think retail stores are designed to get more people to walk a certain way and advantage certain products? You don’t think there are psychological aspects to merchandising? This ain’t Disney’s Main Street anymore. It’s more sophisticated, and progress continues moving forward, so get on board. “There’s a great big beautiful tomorrow…”
I was merely commenting on Capt America’s rather naive idea that the genie will do anything but slot people…because of “guest satisfaction”…

that’s as laughable as people asking “how magical” their hotel is🙄

I wish I could shut my brain down to that extreme

SteveAZee

I was merely commenting on Capt America’s rather naive idea that the genie will do anything but slot people…because of “guest satisfaction”…

that’s as laughable as people asking “how magical” their hotel is🙄

I wish I could shut my brain down to that extreme
It's certainly possible it will do both... try to provide access to the list of things you've indicated you're interested in, but also guide you to things that you might overlook and/or things they want to push. Like doing a Google search and getting a mix of what you're actually looking for and ads that are 'interest adjacent'. With Google, at least the ads are labeled. I doubt you'll see that distinction in Genie. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out... if I'm in a park and I've only selected three restaurants (or three attractions) that I'm interested in, will Genie only show those, show those with some suggestions of things not on my list, or just shove things in my face that I don't have any interest in.

As a guess, I'm thinking a 'seamless blend' of want/not want.

Tony the Tigger

It's going to roll out, they're going to get feedback on how customers like it, they're going to see the data showing whether or not it moved people in ways they'd prefer, and they're going to make adjustments accordingly.

People will have hair on fire in the meantime.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom