Could Boo Bash be a hint for the future?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It doesn’t make any sense, Disneyland has the full Halloween party, they have the parade, special fireworks etc. why in gods name they would over charge this thing in Florida and cut the entertainment is beyond belief unless it is a test to see how many fools spend all that money for almost nothing, except 3 xtra hours in the park and half the entertainment that was once offered. It’s furious to watch the videos of what Disneyland has and the petty magic kingdom version in Florida
What doesn’t make sense? Wdw customers are collectively stupid and they almost revel in being overcharged…it’s a “status symbol” to many.

drizgirl

It doesn’t make any sense, Disneyland has the full Halloween party, they have the parade, special fireworks etc. why in gods name they would over charge this thing in Florida and cut the entertainment is beyond belief unless it is a test to see how many fools spend all that money for almost nothing, except 3 xtra hours in the park and half the entertainment that was once offered. It’s furious to watch the videos of what Disneyland has and the petty magic kingdom version in Florida
It could just be a happy accident for Disney. They had to commit on the WDW offering much earlier than the one for DLR and felt more comfortable pulling back on the offerings. But now that it has sold out that might dictate future offerings unfortunately.

Not sure if Disney understands though that some were willing to settle for a lesser offering this year but won’t be in future years without Covid as an excuse.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
What doesn’t make sense? Wdw customers are collectively stupid and they almost revel in being overcharged…it’s a “status symbol” to many.

It's so much more than that. Forget the pricing aspect. They're dictating behavior - and most people don't even have a clue. They're just oblivious to the fact they're being herded. This is not a knock on anybody. And it's nothing personal. It's just the way it is right now.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I mean…wdw “regulars” will throw their money at wdw no matter what so…yeah

That's not quite true. I consider myself a regular. And I am completely counter to "throwing money" at Disney. In fact I try to keep as much of my money away from Disney. It's a little game we play. Disney could easily win that game if it provided better quality and value for it's food, merchandising, and entertainment.

I'd rather contribute to paying the over-inflated rent Polite Pig has to pay - than paying Disney directly to eat at Cosmic Ray's. I'll contribute to Shula's rent before I would pay Disney to eat at Le Cellier. I'd also rather pay one of the many quality restaurants just outside the gates for better food and better value than I'd get at the Disney run places. Didn't used to be that way. But it certainly is now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's not quite true. I consider myself a regular. And I am completely counter to "throwing money" at Disney. In fact I try to keep as much of my money away from Disney. It's a little game we play. Disney could easily win that game if it provided better quality and value for it's food, merchandising, and entertainment.

I'd rather contribute to paying the over-inflated rent Polite Pig has to pay - than paying Disney directly to eat at Cosmic Ray's. I'll contribute to Shula's rent before I would pay Disney to eat at Le Cellier. I'd also rather pay one of the many quality restaurants just outside the gates for better food and better value than I'd get at the Disney run places. Didn't used to be that way. But it certainly is now.
But enough will…and they are being herded…that Disney gets no blowback for even bad ideas or long term policies.

the draining of the harbor is “lowering all boats” as it stands

Tony the Tigger

Yes, I’m such an oblivious idiot because I paid $129 for 5 hours at MK with unlimited free drinks and snacks when I could have paid $100 for a daytime ticket, stayed about the same 5 hours, paid $5(?) per soda/water, had the hot sun beating down on me, and longer wait times with more chances to catch Covid.

My mother raised such a moron.

Some of these comments…

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Yes, I’m such an oblivious idiot because I paid $129 for 5 hours at MK with unlimited free drinks and snacks when I could have paid $100 for a daytime ticket, stayed about the same 5 hours

The 5 hours Disney told you - you could go?

And most aren't paying $100 ticket prices. You're an AP. What's your blended cost? Mine is about $35 every time I walk into a park. So really, you paid an extra $100 - got a few snacks and adhered to the time window Disney set.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I don’t see how some here can criticise others for being “herded” into spending time and money at Disney when they themselves visit regularly.

This is not a knock on anybody. And it's nothing personal. It's just the way it is right now.

Not intended to be taken as a "criticism". But let me ask you. Do you think the recommendations Genie is going to give you are catered to your guest experience? - Or to what is financially in Disney's best interest?

There's going to be a lot of people that will walk into Pecos Bill because "Genie recommended it". But is the recommendation based on the "experience" or quite possibly the fact that Pecos is light on sales that day?

LittleBuford

Not intended to be taken as a "criticism". But let me ask you. Do you think the recommendations Genie is going to give you are catered to your guest experience? - Or to what is financially in Disney's best interest?

There's going to be a lot of people that will walk into Pecos Bill because "Genie recommended it". But is the recommendation based on the "experience" or quite possibly the fact that Pecos is light on sales that day.
What do Genie’s recommendations have to do with making the conscious choice to buy a ticket for an event that you see value in?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, I’m such an oblivious idiot because I paid $129 for 5 hours at MK with unlimited free drinks and snacks when I could have paid $100 for a daytime ticket, stayed about the same 5 hours, paid $5(?) per soda/water, had the hot sun beating down on me, and longer wait times with more chances to catch Covid.

My mother raised such a moron.

Some of these comments…
Why the self loathing?

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I don’t see how some here can criticise others for being “herded” into spending time and money at Disney when they themselves visit regularly.

I'm addressing this comment specifically. The point is that everything Disney is doing right now is to control behavior (and get you to pay more). Disney can dictate the times you can ride, which hours you can pay extra to experience less crowds, what times you can dine, which days you can go - and to which parks based on the type of ticket you have, what the cost of the pay-per-ride will be based on surge pricing, which QS they want to recommend, on and on.

You're a regular too. Most of us are just going to go about our day - maybe join the herd if it makes sense to. But the over-arching theme here is that a lot of people will do things because they "trust" Disney. All I'm saying is that the decisions Disney is making on behalf of the guest by way of recommendation - isn't necessarily going to be in the guests best interest. And that being said, a lot of guests will follow that recommendation.

LittleBuford

I'm addressing this comment specifically. The point is that everything Disney is doing right now is to control behavior (and get you to pay more). Disney can dictate the times you can ride, which hours you can pay extra to experience less crowds, what times you can dine, which days you can go - and to which parks based on the type of ticket you have, what the cost of the pay-per-ride will be based on surge pricing, which QS they want to recommend, on and on.

You're a regular too. Most of us are just going to go about our day - maybe join the herd if it makes sense to. But the over-arching theme here is that a lot of people will do things because they "trust" Disney. All I'm saying is that the decisions Disney is making on behalf of the guest by way of recommendation - isn't necessarily going to be in the guests best interest. And that being said, a lot of guests will follow that recommendation.
I’m thoroughly confused by your reply. We seem to be miles away from the point of the thread, or indeed the point of my earlier post. I’ll reiterate what I was trying to say: those who are themselves lining Disney’s coffers (and yes, I’m among them) have very little credibility when they castigate others for doing the very same thing. No amount of off-site dining is enough to change the fact that you, too, are part of the problem as you define it.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
those who are themselves lining Disney’s coffers (and yes, I’m among them) have very little credibility when they castigate others

And again. I'm not castigating others. I'm just making an observation. If you can't recognize this. Or if you want to disagree with that assessment - that's your prerogative.

You can continue your behavioral patterns at Disney. I will continue mine. But mine won't be aligned to "recommendations", "special hard ticket windows", or where I need to be in proximity to a ride - at a set time. To each their own.

ETA: As stated in my signature. I do love Disney. Will continue to go to Disney. But I'm vehemently opposed to the company (management/individuals) running the show. It's not that I won't spend at Disney. Because I will. I'll just spend significantly less with Disney than I've spent before.

And to Disney that puts me in an "undesirable guest" type category. But I'm perfectly content on paying my AP cost every year and spending $25 for 8 hours in a park on a hot dog, a pretzel, and a soda - then leaving and dropping $300 at Oceanaire.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

You can continue your behavioral patterns at Disney. I will continue mine. But mine won't be aligned to "recommendations", "special hard ticket windows", or where I need to be in proximity to a ride - at a set time. To each their own.
What bothers me is that you're conflating things that have very little to do with each other in order to paint yourself as a freethinking visitor and others as sheep, as if that somehow offsets the money that Disney is continuing to make from you. You're not giving people enough credit. Some of us know very well what we're doing and are making choices that reflect our own likes and preferences. I never stay at a Disney hotel, because I personally don't see enough value in it, but I have attended and enjoyed several after-hours events and consider them money very well spent. Do my behavioural patterns align with Disney's "recommendations" given that I won't stay in their hotels but will attend their hard-ticket events?

Rather than posit some false dichotomy between those visitors who are able to resist Disney's marketing and those who fall for it, we would do better to accept that different people see value in different things and are perfectly capable of deciding for themselves how to spend their time and money.

LittleBuford

Well said. Doesn't change the fact that Disney is dictating behavior. Which is the original point of my post.
Of course Disney is trying to dictate guest behaviour to maximise profits. No-one is denying that. What I take issue with is the notion that those who are paying for Boo Bash and similar after-hours events are doing so only because Disney has somehow hoodwinked them. @Tony the Tigger is the last person to do anything on someone else's say-so.

Weather_Lady

I don't think the average Florida guest is necessarily aware of what is offered/charged at Disneyland, so it's not a comparison that many of them make. Not only that, but there's the persistent assumption among residents of the eastern U.S. (who make up an appreciable segment of WDW guests) that California is too far, and too expensive, to travel to.

Had there not been a handful of folks on this board encouraging visits to Disneyland a few years ago as an alternative when I was expressing dissatisfaction with a couple of aspects of WDW, it would never have occurred to me -- as a western New Yorker -- to consider it. I was grateful that they did, because when I looked into it, I discovered that we could enjoy a California Disney vacation for even less than it cost to do the same in Florida, despite the increased travel distance, and I've been "preaching the word" about that to friends and other locals ever since. That being said, I'd wager that more than 75% of local families have made one or more trips to Disney World, while about 5% have ever ventured to Disneyland, or have the foggiest idea that the two venues are not exactly the same.

Tony the Tigger

The 5 hours Disney told you - you could go?

And most aren't paying $100 ticket prices. You're an AP. What's your blended cost? Mine is about $35 every time I walk into a park. So really, you paid an extra $100 - got a few snacks and adhered to the time window Disney set.
The five hours I chose out of Disney’s offerings.

My AP expired in September of 2019.

I did go on a Florida 2-day pass, so it was about $75 per day. Still well worth the extra money.
Do you think the recommendations Genie is going to give you are catered to your guest experience? - Or to what is financially in Disney's best interest?
Who cares? I make my own decisions, and I’m unlikely to eat at Pecos Bill’s under any circumstances. But if they are pointing me in the direction of less busy eateries and attractions - thanks, that may be helpful for efficient planning in the moment.
The point is that everything Disney is doing right now is to control behavior (and get you to pay more).
That’s literally their job.
But I'm perfectly content on paying my AP cost every year and spending $25 for 8 hours in a park on a hot dog, a pretzel, and a soda - then leaving and dropping $300 at Oceanaire.
Good for you. That makes you…no wiser or more special than anyone else.

I’ll eat at Citricos for $250 for two people because I can pay for it completely on points and not spend a dime in cash (just like my Boo Bash tickets.) So who is wasting more money? Maybe you don’t know everything?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom