Cost Structures & Offers After WDW Reopening

Raineman

Original Poster
I will admit, I haven't read every post about the impact the pandemic is having/will have on WDW, but I would love to hear people's opinions on the financial impact on guests once WDW reopens. I'm sure there are still many people booking visits for later this year, and there will be more once WDW reopens, but at what point would Disney begin to reduce costs or ramp up the special offers if attendance numbers do not rise as quickly as they would like? If this happens, what sort of savings would we see-reduced park ticket costs, the usual special offers, free parking at resorts and/or parks? Or, is Disney going to go the other way and raise prices to try to recoup some of the billions that they are losing and will lose, knowing that some people will be back regardless? I'm sure many of you went to WDW shortly after 9/11; what was done then to get people back in the parks?
I'm of the opinion that there will be some offers and maybe an overall park ticket price rollback-but only until the attendance numbers get back to normal on a regular basis.

DVCakaCarlF

They’ll do whatever they have to get the numbers up...discounts, give aways, etc. The room rates have already come down - I had a trip booked on January and I was already able to apply an offer and save $1,000.

Besides, once you are there, you are going to spend more money, and they know that.

jloucks

It will be supply demand based. This is why you will not see prices go up to recoup. That doesn't work on luxury goods with no demand.

Now prices would go up if demand skyrockets, but again, that would be just to control demand, not to recoup per sey.

If demand is low, which is my prediction, prices will drop significantly. I haven't seen free meal plans in years, maybe they will come back?

Parker in NYC

Have you seen the crowds rushing back to major tourist spots in China? Yeah. Disney's not going to have any trouble with occupancy. People willing to play with fire are perfectly happy to return on opening day, no matter what the price.

Disstevefan1

I guess we will see what happens. it all depends on how scared folks are going forward.

I think we can return to "The New Normal" quick.

The rules we learned through this will stay with us. Hand Washing often, trying not to touch our face and surfaces around us when in public, I think the handshake and the hug will be gone for a long time. Folks will be maintaining their personal space etc.

Dave B

They’ll do whatever they have to get the numbers up...discounts, give aways, etc. The room rates have already come down - I had a trip booked on January and I was already able to apply an offer and save $1,000.

Besides, once you are there, you are going to spend more money, and they know that.
I am not sure where you are looking, but just went into book a trip for October and Port Orleans is now $356/night rather than $244, huge increase

NelleBelle

I don’t think we’ve seen the “discounts” come out yet. Sure, they’ve extended the summer discounts and added free meal plans to those who had to reschedule their trips. But My feeling is that we the country was due for a recession and this pandemic lit the fuse for it. I think there will be a lot of people that will be more concerned with day-to-day finances than booking a next trip to Disney, sadly. I think that’s when Disney will start the “deep discounts”. I know that there are definitely those who have the means and are rebooking trips, but besides people’s fears of returning, I think they’re will be quite a few that financially just can’t justify it 😕

Pepper's Ghost

But My feeling is that we the country was due for a recession and this pandemic lit the fuse for it. I think there will be a lot of people that will be more concerned with day-to-day finances than booking a next trip to Disney, sadly. I think that’s when Disney will start the “deep discounts”. I know that there are definitely those who have the means and are rebooking trips, but besides people’s fears of returning, I think they’re will be quite a few that financially just can’t justify it 😕

This whole statement is 100% correct IMO. The big crowds everyone has been complaining about has been due to so many people doing better financially the last 10 years or so. People with a few extra $ in their pocket have been taking trips, visiting Disney, etc. No economic expansion has ever lasted as long as this one (over 11 years), and we were due for a slowdown. It's cyclical, and was basically unavoidable. The pandemic kicked the economy right in the teeth. I'm just hoping that we're spared from a depression that so many experts are predicting.

The only good thing about a recession would be that those who are spared from the impact should be able to reap the benefits of shorter lines at the parks.

Disneyhead'71

After 9/11 they ran deals like book 4 nights get 3 free plus free dining plus a free $200 Disney Gift Card. Some of the deals even included a $100 Gas Card because everyone was afraid of flying.

HongKongFooy

I'm guessing rooms during the PEAK season like Dec 20- Jan 3ish will still be able to command an obnoxious price. But outside of days like those I expect some deep and meaningful discounts----with noticeably more incentives than free dining.

disney4life2008

I feel like people financial situations is different from 2008. Even with the financial crisis now, it still amazes me at the amount of people out shopping and at the grocery store. Granted it's the first of the month and many of these people are using public aid but that is a different rant.

2009, there were massive discounts. I got sports for 60 per night in January plus a Disney gift card. I think they were also giving away free dining plans. The major discounts and freebies will only be for guests who booked and were canceled. Everyone else, there will be no significant price difference. If for anything I expect prices to significantly increase. The easiest things to increase are hotel parking, theme park parking, gifts and food.

disney4life2008

I'm guessing rooms during the PEAK season like Dec 20- Jan 3ish will still be able to command an obnoxious price. But outside of days like those I expect some deep and meaningful discounts----with noticeably more incentives than free dining.

How much is a value resort for check in June 1?

Lilofan

After 9/11 they ran deals like book 4 nights get 3 free plus free dining plus a free $200 Disney Gift Card. Some of the deals even included a $100 Gas Card because everyone was afraid of flying.
One catch was at DHS , Prime Time was open Tue,Thu,Sat and Hollywood and Vine was open Sun Mon, Wed, Fri as examples. Dining in parks had limited operating hours and days after 9/11.

disney4life2008

One catch was at DHS , Prime Time was open Tue,Thu,Sat and Hollywood and Vine was open Sun Mon, Wed, Fri as examples. Dining in parks had limited operating hours and days after 9/11.

Yes. And fully anticipate that shows will be cut or substantially reduced. In 2009, they cut fantasmic to 2 nights a week. And back then fantasmic uses to run twice a night.

DVCakaCarlF

I am not sure where you are looking, but just went into book a trip for October and Port Orleans is now $356/night rather than $244, huge increase
Like any business, you sell based on what the market can bear...they are assuming the attendance will pick up by then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom